Reload this Page >

I-864 - AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT

I-864 - AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT

Old Nov 25th 2018, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

scar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864 - AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT

Hello,

I am finally in the next steps of my visa application to the USA. I have had my 1-130 approved and I am going to book my medical appointment tomorrow by calling them. I have got all required document ready Foy my medical.

I am also looking at gathering the relevant documents for the interview. The only one I am stuck with is the I-864 and the process to submit this. Apologise if I'm missing something very obvious. How do you submit this form, the online instructions look as if they are for people submitting from the USA to the NVC and need to select an agent etc...? Do I just print this form out and include my sponsors financial information on the form ad take it to the interview?

Many thanks,
Scott
Old Nov 25th 2018, 3:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-864 - AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT

If you filed the I-130 directly to London, then you take the completed I-864 and support documents with you to the interview.

Rene
Old Nov 28th 2018, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the help.

does that also apply to the DS-260? i have completed the details online and submitted it.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 3:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scar
thanks for the help.

does that also apply to the DS-260? i have completed the details online and submitted it.
I am not sure if there is a hard copy of the DS-260 to be brought in, sorry.

Rene
Old Nov 28th 2018, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Raphael88 is an unknown quantity at this point

The email you receive from the Visa Information Service states that you should bring a copy of your DS-260, but when I got to my interview on Monday, they already had mine printed out in my file, as I submitted it online. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry and print a copy just in case, but from my own personal experience, it wasn't needed.
(Which was a good thing though because I used the checklist available on their website and didn't bring a copy of my DS-260 as it's not listed on the checklist at all. I only noticed the DS-260 was mentioned in the email 30 minutes before my interview, when I double-checked where the entrance to the embassy was... I figured I would use the "I submitted it online so I thought you would have access to it from your computer" excuse but I didn't even need it.)
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Raphael, hope your interview went smoothly.

I have a few other questions...

(1) on the I-864 it says to bring a 'copy of your federal income tax return for the most recent year (part 6 - 23.a). Is this just a copy of the F1040 and accompanying documents/ forms... i am being joint sponsored by my wife (lived in the UK all her life) and her father (lives in Texas). We submitted my wifes tax returns (the first time in her life she has done this) a few months ago and haven't heard anything back

(2) I have my medical & interview booked for one day after the other. Is this OK? i live north of the border so would rather do both in a single trip to London.

(3) ive asked this before, but will ask again. Since starting this application process my wife and i have had our first child (who will obviously be immigrating with us) do we need to follow the same process ive been through for her or is these a simpler/easier/ faster/ cheaper way to do it? can she just get added to my application

Many thanks for the time taken to answer all my questions on here
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 1:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Raphael, hope your interview went smoothly.

I have a few other questions...

(1) on the I-864 it says to bring a 'copy of your federal income tax return for the most recent year (part 6 - 23.a). Is this just a copy of the F1040 and accompanying documents/ forms... i am being joint sponsored by my wife (lived in the UK all her life) and her father (lives in Texas). We submitted my wifes tax returns (the first time in her life she has done this) a few months ago and haven't heard anything back
Yes. it is a copy of the IRS 1040 (if that is the one she filed). She will not heard anything back on the filed return unless there was an error on it. Yes, bring whatever supporting documentation you have to support her claimed earnings. The same for her father's I-864.

(2) I have my medical & interview booked for one day after the other. Is this OK? i live north of the border so would rather do both in a single trip to London.
No this is not good. You need at least 7 to 10 days between the medical and the appointment. It takes that long for Knightsbridge to send the medical results to the US Embassy. However, since you are attempting to conserve money, time and travel, you will have to go with this, I guess. What will happen is that you will have the interview and your petition for the visa will be placed on hold until after they receive the medical results and them they will approve/deny the visa. They may or may not ask you to leave your passport.

(3) ive asked this before, but will ask again. Since starting this application process my wife and i have had our first child (who will obviously be immigrating with us) do we need to follow the same process ive been through for her or is these a simpler/easier/ faster/ cheaper way to do it? can she just get added to my application

Many thanks for the time taken to answer all my questions on here
Yes, unless your wife is a US Citizen who has the right to pass US Citizenship on to her child. I don't know the circumstances of your wife's citizenship, so cannot answer. If the child needs a visa, then you will have to wait for the same amount of time and do the same amount of paperwork as you both did for you.

If you asked this before and were answered that the child needed their own visa, why did you not already file? If the child does not require a visa and is a USC at birth, the child needs their US Passport and this should have been already applied for at the US Embassy.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 1:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. If the child requires a visa,

1. You will be entering the US with your wife at some point to use the Visa before the expiration date of your medical exam. Otherwise you will have to do it all over again. So this means money for the three of you fly to the US and fly back to Scotland.

2. The child if they require a visa will need an affidavit of support #I-864w ... not the same as the one for you. There is a reason why.

3. The reason is the child will become an US Citizen when they enter the US with the approved visa. You and your wife should immediately apply for their US Passport and when you have the money file for the N-600 for their US Citizenship certificate.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rene - as always thanks for the very useful and factual answers.

Originally Posted by Rete
P.S. If the child requires a visa,

1. You will be entering the US with your wife at some point to use the Visa before the expiration date of your medical exam. Otherwise you will have to do it all over again. So this means money for the three of you fly to the US and fly back to Scotland.

Regarding my child's visa - we were unsure if it was required or not (as were some of the posts/ info we read) so we haven't progressed the application. we also put a lot of things on hold during the first few months of her life as we were juggling being new parents, with work etc.... so, Does this mean we can still travel to/move to USA (providing my visa application is approved) with my child and travel back for the interview? would my daughter enter on the visa wavier?

2. The child if they require a visa will need an affidavit of support #I-864w ... not the same as the one for you. There is a reason why.

3. The reason is the child will become an US Citizen when they enter the US with the approved visa. You and your wife should immediately apply for their US Passport and when you have the money file for the N-600 for their US Citizenship certificate.
Ok
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

formatting on my response was off above...

'Regarding my child's visa - we were unsure if it was required or not (as were some of the posts/ info we read) so we haven't progressed the application. we also put a lot of things on hold during the first few months of her life as we were juggling being new parents, with work etc.... so, Does this mean we can still travel to/move to USA (providing my visa application is approved) with my child and travel back for the interview? would my daughter enter on the visa wavier?'
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 3:05 pm
Concierge

formatting on my response was off above...

'Regarding my child's visa - we were unsure if it was required or not (as were some of the posts/ info we read) so we haven't progressed the application. we also put a lot of things on hold during the first few months of her life as we were juggling being new parents, with work etc.... so, Does this mean we can still travel to/move to USA (providing my visa application is approved) with my child and travel back for the interview? would my daughter enter on the visa wavier?'
No, you can't move the child to the US without a visa. They can visit for 90 days but have to leave before the 90 days is up.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 3:33 pm
Concierge

I've not looked up your few posts to the marriage-based visa forum to find out what you were told or not told. However, it is really quite simple to discover if your son or daughter is a US Citizen based on the US Citizenship of their parent. I found it by googling within 10 seconds:

You may be a U.S. citizen if you were born abroad to at least one parent that was a U.S. citizen. If you were born abroad to two U.S. citizens and at least one of your parents lived in the United States at some point in his or her life, then in most cases you are a U.S. citizen. If you were born abroad to one U.S. citizen, in most cases, you are a U.S. citizen if all of the following are true:
  • One of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born;
  • Your U.S. citizen parent lived at least five years in the United States before you were born; and
  • At least two of the five years in the United States were after your U.S. citizen parent’s 14th birthday.
Does your wife fit the three criteria above? If not, then your child is not a US Citizen and requires a visa to live in the US.

Honestly, I am not lecturing you but you are dealing with emigrating to a foreign country. There is much to learn and this is one of those things. Without the proper visa, I don't know if the agent at the POE will even allow you into the US to live while your child's I-130 is pending at the US Embassy. If they do, the child can only be in the US for 90 days and has to leave. If they stay they are accruing illegal presence. While it will be forgiven them when they leave, they are still here illegally pass the 90th day.

You can remain in the UK until the child's visa is adjudicated but you and you wife need to enter the US before the 6 month expiration of the medical or the expiration date on the visa itself (if there is still a date given on the visa in your passport).

Only you can decide how you want to handle this. You can postpone your interview by asking the US Embassy to extend the validity of the approved I-130 for a certain amount of time while your child's I-130 is being processed. This might help speed up the child's I-130 and ultimate visa. It is all up to the US Embassy at that point.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 3rd 2018 at 3:39 pm.