Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-551 is a pain in the A***

I-551 is a pain in the A***

Old Dec 27th 2021, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation I-551 is a pain in the A***

So after my GC and my extension letter expired i got my I-551 stamp (thats only got 3 months left as well). I don't know if its new and due to Covid i havent travelled a lot, but you have to go to secondary each time you come back in.
This maybe new, but told the same by two border agents yesterday. So my last two returns to the USA have resulted in a secondary trip. Luckily they have been quiet and yesterday was very quick, but get the wrong flights in front of you and i guess it could be a couple of hours extra. What a crap shoot.

Old Dec 27th 2021, 8:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-551 is a pain in the A***

Why do you say the I-551 is a PIA? It strikes me that you have yet to receive it.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 10:02 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I never had any problems with my I-551, if your concerned about time at the airport you can apply for Global Entry, I did this as soon as I got my GC and aircraft door to being out of customs was sub 10 minutes every time without a checked bag.
Old Dec 27th 2021, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

I am waiting on my AOS. I had a 2 year GC that expired over 2 years ago, Then the 18 month extension letter. Then you have to get an infopass appointment and an I-551 stamp in your passport. That is all I can now use to come back into the USA.

I have Global Entry, but you need a current GC to use it. Once expired your up the creek and its not valid.

So in addition to now having to use a standard first time visitor/visa line I have to do a secondary interview to verify the I-551 stamp in my passport is real. If you havent seen the stamp is really poor, hard to read and i imagine very easy to falsify. Nothing like the initial visa put in your passport with you picture etc. It looks like any stamp for entry into a country. Inserted a copy with sensitive info removed. This is my only proof of being legal.

I am just imaging arriving at EWR behing a flight from Columbia or Africa. Might take me a few hours now. As someone that usually flies 150-200k a year in normal time this isnt good.

Last edited by Chins; Dec 28th 2021 at 12:01 am.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 12:03 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chins
I am waiting on my AOS. I had a 2 year GC that expired over 2 years ago, Then the 18 month extension letter. Then you have to get an infopass appointment and an I-551 stamp in your passport. That is all I can now use to come back into the USA.

I have Global Entry, but you need a current GC to use it. Once expired your up the creek and its not valid.

So in addition to now having to use a standard first time visitor/visa line I have to do a secondary interview to verify the I-551 stamp in my passport is real. If you havent seen the stamp is really poor, hard to read and i imagine very easy to falsify. Nothing like the initial visa put in your passport with you picture etc. It looks like any stamp for entry into a country.

I am just imaging arriving at EWR behing a flight from Columbia or Africa. Might take me a few hours now. As someone that usually flies 150-200k a year in normal time this isnt good.
Why would you use the visitor line, I thought the line for USC/PR was the same? then it does not matter what flight gets in ahead of you, or are you saying the line for secondary?
Old Dec 28th 2021, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Everytime i come back in they direct me to the visa/visitor line with an expired GC. They are now saying i always have to go to secondary with the I-551 stamp. My guess is people have been forging so they are checking its genuine. So even if i went to the USC line i would still have to go to secondary. I was with my USC wife yesterday and was directed to visitor/visa line. I was first off the plane and inline yesterday so not a major issue. My worry is in busier times
Old Dec 28th 2021, 1:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So the problem seems an easy one to remedy. You travel a great deal. Bring all your paperwork with you and the next time you go through the airport, if you are not directed to secondary as to go there. Have them look at the documentation and ask for another I-551 in your passport.

Actually, I believe that the extension letter for the ROC is your proof of legality. Their computers will tell them that you are still awaiting adjudication. So you can't use the global pass, really big deal.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 28th 2021 at 1:46 am.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 9:45 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chins
Everytime i come back in they direct me to the visa/visitor line with an expired GC. They are now saying i always have to go to secondary with the I-551 stamp. My guess is people have been forging so they are checking its genuine. So even if i went to the USC line i would still have to go to secondary. I was with my USC wife yesterday and was directed to visitor/visa line. I was first off the plane and inline yesterday so not a major issue. My worry is in busier times
As an aside, have you filed for US citizenship?
Old Dec 28th 2021, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think he is removing conditions not adjusting status.

A minor point.

Maybe there are residency issues as far as naturalization is concerned.

Old Dec 28th 2021, 9:02 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think he is removing conditions not adjusting status.

A minor point.

Maybe there are residency issues as far as naturalization is concerned.
I have noted misuse of terminology. You have hit upo son of possible ineligibility.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
So the problem seems an easy one to remedy. You travel a great deal. Bring all your paperwork with you and the next time you go through the airport, if you are not directed to secondary as to go there. Have them look at the documentation and ask for another I-551 in your passport.

Actually, I believe that the extension letter for the ROC is your proof of legality. Their computers will tell them that you are still awaiting adjudication. So you can't use the global pass, really big deal.
I do bring all my paperwork, but as the extension letter is now out of date it is worthless (not legal proof anymore). It may not be a big issue for many, but I can now be stuck in a visitor line for an hour and then HAVE to go into secondary no matter what I show to the border agent. Last time i showed my extension letter and expired GC. So my wife can be travelling with me and be through in 5 mins using Global Entry and I'm treated worse than someone on a returning ESTA. Secondary can take a long time if they haul a lot of people back there. I dont need another I-551 in my passport I already have one. Its the fact that the I-551 needs to be checked for authenticity thats the issue. I posted a picture of what my I-551 looks like. It looks totally different to the page added to my passport by the US embassy in the UK.

The only remedy is for USCIS to actually process my removal of conditions and give me a new GC. Then I can use Global Entry again
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As an aside, have you filed for US citizenship?
Not yet. Will apply early next year. It was unplanned but due to Covid I was out of the country for over 6 months in 2020. Will file with over a full year back in country to show commitment !! I had been hoping to have my removal of condition sorted before as that started in July 2019 and I do keep checking online to check for progress. Did biometrics in 2019.
Old Dec 28th 2021, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Do you have a Re entry permit?

Have you discussed your naturalisation issues with a lawyer?
Old Dec 29th 2021, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Do you have a Re entry permit?

Have you discussed your naturalisation issues with a lawyer?
My entry permit is my I-551 stamp. My actual one shown below (sensitive info removed). This is what was put in my passport at my Newark Infopass appointment

Not looked a talking to a lawyer yet and the border guy yesterday was not surprised I was at 2.5 years. The guy in front of me had exactly the same issue. His family went through and he was hauled off to secondary as well due to the I-551 stamp.
I hate to think how long applying for citizenship will take at the moment.

Old Dec 29th 2021, 1:13 am
Account Closed

I was wondering if you had a Re Entry Permit (131) when you were out for more than 6 months, maintaining residency is one thing, qualifying for citizenship another hence the Lawyer comment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.