Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 processing times - can anyone share recent experiences?

Wikiposts

I-130 processing times - can anyone share recent experiences?

Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

wario75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-130 processing times - can anyone share recent experiences?

Originally Posted by country_canuck
Hey Congrats!! That's great news!

Sorry can't help you with your next step, I'm in the USA so mine is different from here on. We are still trying to get the gov attorney to agree to file a joint motion of termination on the removal proceedings to get my 485 out of court. Worse case for me, we go back to court in 16 months to have a judge decide my residency. I'm allowed to stay in the meantime but I still can't work, get a drivers licence etc. Sigh!
It sounds so painful! On one hand you are together, but you can't work or anything. How long have you been in the US now? And worst case scenario what would your plan be? Would you be prepared to move back to UK?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations! You are correct, after the I-130 approval, the case goes to NVC. NVC will contact the USA for some fee payments, choice of agent, filing the I-864, and then filing some civil documents. Then the case moves to London, where you receive what used to be called "Packet 3", which is just a letter giving you the link to go online and fill out your visa application forms. You can look at the US Embassy London website to see what these forms are, and get a head start on them, but you can't turn anything in until London directs you to do so. You'll also get your police report and medical, then attend the Immigrant Visa interview.

I think your 6-month time frame is pretty accurate. Maybe less if you have everything ready ahead of time.

Rene
Thanks Rene!
I suppose it could be a few weeks until the NVC are in position to start processing our application.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:08 pm
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wario75
It sounds so painful! On one hand you are together, but you can't work or anything. How long have you been in the US now? And worst case scenario what would your plan be? Would you be prepared to move back to UK?
actually it's not so bad, I brought it on to myself, I am responsible for the decisions I made. At least I have a solid date as to when I will be adjusted, with some luck it might happen sooner. So, with that in mind I am actually relieved now, I just have to wait.

I entered in spring 2004 on a work visa and was severely hurt in an accident at Christmas 2006. It has only been recent that I have been well enough to work but of course now I'm chomping at the bit after 3 years of laying around. I have learned to vacuum, dust, do laundry and cook - so it's not like I can't do anything! ;-)

my wife has been amazing through all this. We are happy.

I think I can now apply for the EAD this week coming up. So, when that comes things will be back to some state of normalcy. My wife will have to learn to cook! Hah! I've spoiled her!

I'm Canadian so even though I would love to live in the UK again (lived there for 9 months years ago) if adjustment doesn't happen I guess we will appeal again. My wife doesn't care for the cold weather!
Old May 1st 2010, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene!
I suppose it could be a few weeks until the NVC are in position to start processing our application.
One more question...!

My approval notice (I-797) states, "The above petition has been approved. The person this petition is for will be notified separately when a decision is reached on his or her pending adjustment of status application"

There is no mention of my case being sent to the NVC. Would I receive another letter from USCIS in the next few weeks confirming our petition has been forwarded to NVC?

Thanks
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:57 am
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute

, "The above petition has been approved. The person this petition is for will be notified separately when a decision is reached on his or her pending adjustment of status application"
you're not adjusting status though, are you?
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

you're not adjusting status though, are you?
No I'm not adjusting status as I'm living in the UK. I'd enter the US on an immigrant visa and effectively receive the greencard. Hmm...I wonder if we should call the USCIS for clarification.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

actually it's not so bad, I brought it on to myself, I am responsible for the decisions I made. At least I have a solid date as to when I will be adjusted, with some luck it might happen sooner. So, with that in mind I am actually relieved now, I just have to wait.

I entered in spring 2004 on a work visa and was severely hurt in an accident at Christmas 2006. It has only been recent that I have been well enough to work but of course now I'm chomping at the bit after 3 years of laying around. I have learned to vacuum, dust, do laundry and cook - so it's not like I can't do anything! ;-)

my wife has been amazing through all this. We are happy.

I think I can now apply for the EAD this week coming up. So, when that comes things will be back to some state of normalcy. My wife will have to learn to cook! Hah! I've spoiled her!

I'm Canadian so even though I would love to live in the UK again (lived there for 9 months years ago) if adjustment doesn't happen I guess we will appeal again. My wife doesn't care for the cold weather!
Thanks for the additional background... and once again I have to commend you guys for fighting tooth and nail to get your case approved. I'd imagine you've become quite the domesticated husband by now! I'm sure you're just raring to get out the kitchen and being able to start earning some dough again! I'm seeing my wife in a couple of weeks, and then she'll spend a month with me in London. Our next challenge will be figuring out how to get her on the track to UK residency should we wish to reside here in the future. One day we'll have it all figured out, I'm sure.
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:00 am
London Canada to Atlanta

No I'm not adjusting status as I'm living in the UK. I'd enter the US on an immigrant visa and effectively receive the greencard. Hmm...I wonder if we should call the USCIS for clarification.
Well, you have a 485 in the system and even though it cannot lead to anything, it sounds like it is perhaps "confusing" the system. I'm not sure how you can go about "cancelling" that 485. I do know that it is useless to send a letter requesting it to be cancelled. Even though my first 485 cannot be adjudicated due to the denial of the first 130 and subsequent removal order, that 485 continues to float around in the system.

As an example, I had 3 biometrics letters all fir the same date and time last week. Now that confused the heck out of the ASC folks! they were on the phone for a good 20 minutes trying to decide what to do. Eventually they just took 3 sets of everything! They said if I get anymore, make sure you come back...
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:13 am
London Canada to Atlanta

Thanks for the additional background... and once again I have to commend you guys for fighting tooth and nail to get your case approved. I'd imagine you've become quite the domesticated husband by now! I'm sure you're just raring to get out the kitchen and being able to start earning some dough again! I'm seeing my wife in a couple of weeks, and then she'll spend a month with me in London. Our next challenge will be figuring out how to get her on the track to UK residency should we wish to reside here in the future. One day we'll have it all figured out, I'm sure.
It's not so bad right now, the uncertainty and feeling of being in limbo has been relieved. At least now I have certainty, I have a specific date that I will be adjusted (or not). With that certainty, I no longer feel loss of control over the situation. With any luck the EOIR attorney will agree to a joint petition to terminate removal proceedings and move our case from the courts back to USCIS. That "might" speed things up but there is no guarantee that it will. Kind of leaves us wondering if we want that to really happen!
Old May 5th 2010, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Well, you have a 485 in the system and even though it cannot lead to anything, it sounds like it is perhaps "confusing" the system. I'm not sure how you can go about "cancelling" that 485. I do know that it is useless to send a letter requesting it to be cancelled. Even though my first 485 cannot be adjudicated due to the denial of the first 130 and subsequent removal order, that 485 continues to float around in the system.

As an example, I had 3 biometrics letters all fir the same date and time last week. Now that confused the heck out of the ASC folks! they were on the phone for a good 20 minutes trying to decide what to do. Eventually they just took 3 sets of everything! They said if I get anymore, make sure you come back...
Thats interesting... I called USCIS and they said they would make a "typographical correction" to my approval letter. They couldn't tell me if I had a prior 485 still in the system or not. As usual, if you call USCIS they have next to no visibility into your case. They suggested I call NVC to see if they've received my case. We called NVC and they haven't received anything. USCIS can't even tell me if our case has been sent to NVC! Anyway, I now need to call USCIS to tell them that NVC has not received the case and they will put in some sort of service request to "tier II' or whoever they escalate stuff to.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Good news everyone!

After countless visits to the USCIS on my wife's part, and having to engage our Senator on two occasions, we've now had our case sent to the NVC! We just received our case number and we are in the process of preparing the Affidavit of Support.

I'm guessing we are looking at 8-12 weeks at the NVC before our application arrives in London?

My advice to anyone not getting results: write to your Senator's office! Had we not done this I'm absolutely certain our application would have been left in a pile in the corner.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:51 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:15 am
London Canada to Atlanta

Congrats Wario and wife!

Care to share which Senator office went to work so hard on your behalf?

Cheers!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Congrats Wario and wife!

Care to share which Senator office went to work so hard on your behalf?

Cheers!
thank you!

We wrote to Senator Isakson's office. His staff have been incredibly helpful and diligent in helping our case.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Hi all,

Thought I'd share some good news with everyone. I've just received my interview date at the US embassy in London! My interview is set for 18 Jan. I'm assuming the interview is a fairly painless/quick formality? Do I then receive my passport back (with the I-551 stamp?) a few days after the interview?

PS - Re. the medical - cannot believe I'm being asked to fork out £200!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.