Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 Filing in USA - Join in here!

I-130 Filing in USA - Join in here!

Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 Filing in USA - Join in here!

Originally Posted by britishspouse
well im here !!! WOOHOOO

Plane was supposed to leave at 9am yesterday, but it was delayed until 11:40am. Then when we were about to take off they said they had to change the tyre, and told us although its quick to change the paperwork takes about an hour, so by time we finally took off it was close to 1pm.

Landed in Atlanta about 5pm and went straight to immigration. The flight attendant told me I needed to fill out an I-94, Which I didnt think i ahd to, but did anyway, and when I got to immigration the officer told me that yes i did need to , and took it off me. He put my documents and brown envelope in a green folder and led me through to secondary. There were at least 15 documents before me so I knew I had a long wait. sat in the room, with about 40 other people. Felt a bit awkward, was the only white person in the room haha, lots of people from china, mexico and india were in there, and lots of interpreters. Nice Chinese lady next to me said she had been there 2.5 hours. EEK. Thankfully I was only 45 minutes. took my signature twice, 2 fingerprints in ink, and gave her one Passport photo to be used for GC, and was sent on my way. Felt a bit left out lol.... the lady processing me didnt say 'welcome to america' or give me the new immigrants guide everyone else got. The officers seemed very laid back, in no hurry and were chatting to each other and joking around, One was even doing the others hair lol.

Walked out of there about 6:15pm, and managed to get changed onto a 7:30pm flight. So landed in RDU about 9pm.

Its sooooo hot, forgot how hot it was lol. Just hoping this hurricane plays nice and doesnt cause too much havoc in land On monday I go to apply for my drivers license and will start job hunting, and think I may have an interview next week too
Thankfully we are going through Dublin so hoping its not that long for me...I was under the impression that the I-94 didnt need doing, hmm will make mental note of this if offered to take it just in case.

Fly into Dublin Saturday for a 2 day stay and fly out to Charlotte monday morning....agree, hope irene is forgiving on all!

Thanks for the info Faye...see you on the flip side!

Oh and For future information....I have the MWE!!! (Mysterious White Envelope) either im special or they ran out of brown!

Last edited by Wolfy; Aug 25th 2011 at 11:46 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Thankfully we are going through Dublin so hoping its not that long for me...I was under the impression that the I-94 didnt need doing, hmm will make mental note of this if offered to take it just in case.

Fly into Dublin Saturday for a 2 day stay and fly out to Charlotte monday morning....agree, hope irene is forgiving on all!

Thanks for the info Faye...see you on the flip side!

Oh and For future information....I have the MWE!!! (Mysterious White Envelope) either im special or they ran out of brown!
Yeah i didnt think i did either, as on the top is says for all persons EXCEPT U.S citizens, permanent residents.... etc.... I guess were not quite permanent residents yet? I dunno. But the flight attendant said to, and the immigration officer said I was right to fill it in lol. That being said.... I dont have the bottom part stapled in my passport, so maybe they just needed the arrival record. i dunno.

They have put our town under alert, because its shifting east, bit they think we will just have high 100mph+ winds and 4-6 inches rain, hoping its not much worse, and I hope your flight goes smoothly!

Lol oooh MWE? Never heard of one of those lol :P
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

I hope your flight goes smoothly!

Lol oooh MWE? Never heard of one of those lol :P
So do I , Dena dislikes the long flight alone!!!

MWE...lol you have now! and heard it here first!!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 2:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I guess were not quite permanent residents yet?
That's exactly right. You aren't a PR until such time as the officer endorses/validates your visa... which, generally speaking, is after you hand in the I-94.

Ian
Old Aug 26th 2011, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's exactly right. You aren't a PR until such time as the officer endorses/validates your visa... which, generally speaking, is after you hand in the I-94.

Ian
hehe yeah I figured it would be something like that. Thought id read on here of officers tearing up peoples I-94's and telling them they didnt need to complete them, after they did, so I was a bit confused.

Didnt question it though. When I had filled one in before on my F1 Visa they stapled the bottom half in my passport, but guessing this time they only needed the entry part? No idea heh.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

katjoeuk will become famous soon enough

well im here !!! WOOHOOO

Plane was supposed to leave at 9am yesterday, but it was delayed until 11:40am. Then when we were about to take off they said they had to change the tyre, and told us although its quick to change the paperwork takes about an hour, so by time we finally took off it was close to 1pm.

Landed in Atlanta about 5pm and went straight to immigration. The flight attendant told me I needed to fill out an I-94, Which I didnt think i ahd to, but did anyway, and when I got to immigration the officer told me that yes i did need to , and took it off me. He put my documents and brown envelope in a green folder and led me through to secondary. There were at least 15 documents before me so I knew I had a long wait. sat in the room, with about 40 other people. Felt a bit awkward, was the only white person in the room haha, lots of people from china, mexico and india were in there, and lots of interpreters. Nice Chinese lady next to me said she had been there 2.5 hours. EEK. Thankfully I was only 45 minutes. took my signature twice, 2 fingerprints in ink, and gave her one Passport photo to be used for GC, and was sent on my way. Felt a bit left out lol.... the lady processing me didnt say 'welcome to america' or give me the new immigrants guide everyone else got. The officers seemed very laid back, in no hurry and were chatting to each other and joking around, One was even doing the others hair lol.

Walked out of there about 6:15pm, and managed to get changed onto a 7:30pm flight. So landed in RDU about 9pm.

Its sooooo hot, forgot how hot it was lol. Just hoping this hurricane plays nice and doesnt cause too much havoc in land On monday I go to apply for my drivers license and will start job hunting, and think I may have an interview next week too
Woot Wooot!! You made it!! Your trip sounds a bit nightmarish, though...gosh I really hope that doesn't happen to us, with the cats and all!! This is definitely going tobe the worst day of their lives....We will be flying into Dulles on a Friday evening...hope that that's not the busiest time...
How's it going over there, have you found nice supermarket yet?? I a mso going to miss Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose, M&S.....
Oh, also wanted to ask, how long did it take for your visa to arrive in the mail (or by courier, rather)??
Old Aug 26th 2011, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

hockeysarah is an unknown quantity at this point

So im moving to Chicago on Thursday!! hooray! Got some good leads for jobs lined up and looking forward to starting my new life!
Thanks for all the help on this forum its been so useful!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:27 pm
CR1 Visa

SimonJW is an unknown quantity at this point

yep. This time next week Ill be back with hubby. YEYYY !!

Im gunna be knackered though. I get my bus from nottingham to london gatwick at 11pm, but have to get dropped off at 9pm. Then my plane leaves at 9am.... and I can never sleep on planes, So i'll probably be looking at almost 48 hrs no sleep, but it will be worth it

Not a ribena fan, but i do like cherry vimto and orange/pineapplke squash but alas no room for it. I have 2 suitcases and a hand luggage case packed so full i have 0.2 lbs spare in each haha. So mum and dad are bringing some over when they visit in april

I cant believe the time is really here, im hyped, but sad to leave lovely england... im loving the cool weather, really dont wanna have to deal with the 38 degree heat, but oh well, going to have to get used to it again!! =OP
Congratulations BS. Must be great to be finally there, back with your husband and done with visa issues... at least until AOS! Hope you settle in well and that this hurricane doesnt cause too much trouble.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by katjoeuk
Woot Wooot!! You made it!! Your trip sounds a bit nightmarish, though...gosh I really hope that doesn't happen to us, with the cats and all!! This is definitely going tobe the worst day of their lives....We will be flying into Dulles on a Friday evening...hope that that's not the busiest time...
How's it going over there, have you found nice supermarket yet?? I a mso going to miss Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose, M&S.....
Oh, also wanted to ask, how long did it take for your visa to arrive in the mail (or by courier, rather)??
Well I lived here 4 years before on a student VISA so i already know the area really well hehe. My favourite supermarket is called Harris Teeter, because they do triple coupons so I am always getting free stuff lol. Im a pro at getting our grocery bill down from $100 to $20, and we often donate extra stuff to the local shelters They also sell lots of similar products to m and s and waitrose, a bit higher end, but prices not too bad.

Kroger is nearest one to us that does british goodies, like squash and aero etc, but its an hour away Target do food items too, and often have some good prices.

I had my interview in london on a monday morning, VISA arrived on the wednesday, so really fast

Well better go secure our garden furniture incase this hurricane causes trouble lol
Old Aug 27th 2011, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

whitebear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wolfy
My understanding is that this is the year you are allowed information from, before that is kept private even from you...kinda sucks, but thast what i was told at my GP.
I got all my records from the doctor, they charged £25 and no one asked for them. Mind you, at 56 I am exempt from all but 2 jabs. First time age has been a benefit.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whitebear
I got all my records from the doctor, they charged £25 and no one asked for them. Mind you, at 56 I am exempt from all but 2 jabs. First time age has been a benefit.
I got my entire history.... was surprised how much as in there, had letters between my doctor and mum regarding my development at birth etc lol
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

I got my entire history.... was surprised how much as in there, had letters between my doctor and mum regarding my development at birth etc lol
I'm quite looking forward to getting mine now. I hope no doctor has said anything mean about me in my notes !
Old Aug 28th 2011, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Apfelkuchen, how are things going in Frankfurt?? Any progress??
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katjoeuk
Apfelkuchen, how are things going in Frankfurt?? Any progress??
Hi Katjo! No, no progress yet. At the moment my (military) fiance is deployed and virtually incommunicado, so I am waiting for him to get back before we make a decision on whether to to get married earlier than planned and do the CR-1 or just go down the K-1 route. Either way I will have to go through Frankfurt, as not only does the Berlin Embassy not process immigrant visas, they don't do K-1s either .

In the meantime, I'm loving living in Germany, so I'm in no terrible rush to get out of here!

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Aug 28th 2011 at 11:09 am. Reason: Spelling mistake.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Glad to hear that . I guess Berlin is pretty cool, even though very different to where I'm from (I'm from Bavaria, so I guess it's like London and Scotland!)

Hope your fiancee is alright - you must be worried!!!

If I were you, I'd probably do the CR-1 because it might save you some hassle in future, and from what I understand, there isn't a big difference in the time lines. You will still need to go through yet another process after 2 years as you will have been married less than two years - I'm lucky as we'll have been married just over (wedding anniversary is 1 September )

Too bad you can't do your stuff in Berlin!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.