Reload this Page >

I-130, DCF, or K-3 in India

I-130, DCF, or K-3 in India

Old Nov 1st 2003, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

PeteJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130, DCF, or K-3 in India

Hi

I promised a friend I would seek some advice regarding her situation.
She has recently become naturalized as a US Citizen (within a week or so) She wants to bring her Husband from India to live here in US.
What is the quickest way to do this bearing in mind that she is pregnant and wants him here as soon as possible?

Thanks for the input.

Pete
Old Nov 1st 2003, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

goldrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-130, DCF, or K-3 in India

Originally posted by PeteJ
Hi

I promised a friend I would seek some advice regarding her situation.
She has recently become naturalized as a US Citizen (within a week or so) She wants to bring her Husband from India to live here in US.
What is the quickest way to do this bearing in mind that she is pregnant and wants him here as soon as possible?

Thanks for the input.

Pete
A few months back, I would have said K-3 or DCF are virtually the same in terms of timeline, but the situation is different now.

Go with DCF.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by goldrush
A few months back, I would have said K-3 or DCF are virtually the same in terms of timeline, but the situation is different now.

Go with DCF.
What are the requirements for DCF considering that she lives in US and not in India - can they still do DCF? Approx what is the timeline for DCF?

Thanks

Pete
Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

What are the requirements for DCF considering that she lives in US and not in India - can they still do DCF? Approx what is the timeline for DCF?

Thanks

Pete
She (U.S. citizen) will have to go to India. She will need to have all her docs ready, and so will he. Go to New Delhi and she will have to file for I-130 for him.

For a complete list of all the docs that she and he will need, go to U.S. embassy's website in New Delhi.

It can take anywhere from 3 to 7 months.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Also, its worth the time, money, and effort to go to New Delhi and file I-130 over there, instead to doing K-3 here in the U.S.

The reason I am not cancelling my K-3 and going to India is because I can't go there until Dec and plus I am close to getting my K-3 approved (barring an RFE).
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

How does DCF work? Is it filing an I-130 with the embassy in India instead of going through a service center in the US? Is this an immigrant visa? You then have an interview at the embassy?

Just not sure how the whole process works.

Also - because she is pregnant does she have to meet poverty requirements for family of 3 instead of 2? (and this is I-864 rather than I-134 right?)

Thanks everyone.

Pete
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

How does DCF work? Is it filing an I-130 with the embassy in India instead of going through a service center in the US? Is this an immigrant visa? You then have an interview at the embassy?

Just not sure how the whole process works.

Also - because she is pregnant does she have to meet poverty requirements for family of 3 instead of 2? (and this is I-864 rather than I-134 right?)

Thanks everyone.

Pete
There is a USCIS office in the U.S. embassy in Delhi. They have officers who can adjudicate an I-130. They are not allowed to adjudicate fiance visas. Sleep overnight near the embassy, wake up early, stand in line, both ppl should have all their docs ready, submit forms, app fee, pics, interview, blah blah. The IR visa will get approved very shortly and then sent to the appropriate consulate. Go to Delhi's website to get a complete list of stuff you need from both of them.

The process can take anywhere from 3-7 months. He will come here with a greencard.

My guess is she should be making an income to support 3 ppl.