Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 approved 2 days before K-3 interview

I-130 approved 2 days before K-3 interview

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 12:35 am
Just Joined

tonynbetty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 approved 2 days before K-3 interview

Hi. I have a question concerning our petitions for a K-3 visa.
Our I-129f petition was approved on Sept. 26, 2003. My husbands interview is this Monday Nov. 3, 2003 at the U.S. embassy in London. Today however, we recieved the approval notice for our I-130. It was approved the 24th of October. Does that change anything? Will we continue on with the visa and then adjust status when he arrives or does that change the procedure any?
Thank you for any information.
Betty
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-130 approved 2 days before K-3 interview

Originally posted by tonynbetty
Our I-129f petition was approved on Sept. 26, 2003. My husbands interview is this Monday Nov. 3, 2003 at the U.S. embassy in London. Today however, we recieved the approval notice for our I-130. It was approved the 24th of October. Does that change anything? Will we continue on with the visa and then adjust status when he arrives or does that change the procedure any?
Betty
He can get the K-3 and file for adjustment in the US with no problem. It would probably be quicker to have him consular process on the immigrant visa through.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:50 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 approved 2 days before K-3 interview

Originally posted by tonynbetty
Betty
Yay Congrats on the approved I-130 and good luck on his interview!!
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Dad of 3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-130 approved 2 days before K-3 interview

Here is something to consider:

Find out approximately (average) how long it is taking the US Embassy to set the interview dates from the time the petition leaves NVC. If it is not much longer than your current interview date.....it may be worth the extra wait to have the embassy/consulate process the I-130 and NOT the K3 for a few reasons:

1. With the K3....you enter on a NON IMMIGRANT status and have to do an Adjustment of Status which involves a lot more paperwork, more time to wait, an additional interview and more hassles with USCIS.

2. With the I-130--you get an IR-1 or CR-1 visa which is an IMMIGRANT visa. YOu will get your green card in the mail very soon after you arrive which means no need to file separate application and pay the fee for an EAD, no additional hassle with USCIS until it is time to file the I-751 for removal of the "conditional status"

3. K3 visa is $100. CR-1/IR-1 is $335. If you go with the K3- there is additional fee of $225 when you file the Adjustment of Status......so the fees all even out in the end.

I think I would wait the extra month or so just to avoid the future hassles. Either way...CONGRATULATIONS!