Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Husband is here---finally!! now, how to proceed??

Husband is here---finally!! now, how to proceed??

Old Feb 24th 2004, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

rachel212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Husband is here---finally!! now, how to proceed??

Hi everyone....
My husband arrived on Fri. finally!! after 18 months waiting for the K-3, being denied, submitting the waiver, Israel, Cyprus, many countries involved.....

NOW---he wants to work (we live in NYC and we need the $$!)
So, I have my package ready to send in for the EAD with the new $120 fee, but now we're thinking....how long will the IV take to finish??
We received a fee bill ($335) and a case number beginning with a TLV.... does that mean his case will be processed in Tel Aviv?
How does the NVC know he is here in the US and how long will this process take now?

Should we just send in for the EAD and proceed with the $335 fee at the same time??
THANKS so much!

Rachel & Roy
Old Feb 24th 2004, 2:57 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband is here---finally!! now, how to proceed??

Originally posted by rachel212
Hi everyone....
My husband arrived on Fri. finally!! after 18 months waiting for the K-3, being denied, submitting the waiver, Israel, Cyprus, many countries involved.....

So, I have my package ready to send in for the EAD with the new $120 fee, but now we're thinking....how long will the IV take to finish??
We received a fee bill ($335) and a case number beginning with a TLV.... does that mean his case will be processed in Tel Aviv?
How does the NVC know he is here in the US and how long will this process take now?

Should we just send in for the EAD and proceed with the $335 fee at the same time??
THANKS so much!

Rachel & Roy
Congratulations Rachel. I may sound dense, but what exactly was the $335 for?
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Leslie66
Congratulations Rachel. I may sound dense, but what exactly was the $335 for?

Hi. Thank you!
Immigrant Visa Application processing fee....$335.
Our I-130 has been approved, but we chose to proceed with the K-3 (129 was a bit quicker.... just so we could be together!)
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:12 pm
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone....

THANKS so much!

Rachel & Roy
Hi Rachel -

Congratulations! I can only imagine how great it must be to finally be with your husband!

I can't answer your question about how long the IV case will take to process, as we are at pretty much the same stage as you with that. I believe it will depend on the country as to how long it will take. Perhaps the consulate in Tel Aviv can help?

You can opt to let the IV run it's path - pay the $335 fee and go to Tel Aviv for the interview OR you can file for Adjustment of Status and do everything here in the states.

We plan to proceed with both the K3 and the IV in my husbands country. Our thought is that if the IV takes too long, we'll have the K3 visa so my husband can come to the US. He'll then go back to Sweden for the interview.

And yes - now that you mention it, I think the first 3 letters of the case # have to do with the consulate involved. Ours begins with STK (Stockholm).

Good luck!
Kim
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Kim.
Thanks. It is sooooooo amazing FINALLY being together.

Yes, it sounds like we are in a similar position. We think we are choosing the same route as you 2---
we will wait for the IV interview in Tel Aviv---he will fly back, see his family, get this whole process finished! We think it should process quicker in Tel Aviv than NYC.

But now, what does he do in the meantime? He is here in NYC, and dying to work again.... If I really believed the EAD would only take 30 days I'd be patient, but like everything else along the way, I doubt it will.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kim.

Yes, it sounds like we are in a similar position. We think we are choosing the same route as you 2---
we will wait for the IV interview in Tel Aviv---he will fly back, see his family, get this whole process finished! We think it should process quicker in Tel Aviv than NYC.

But now, what does he do in the meantime? He is here in NYC, and dying to work again.... If I really believed the EAD would only take 30 days I'd be patient, but like everything else along the way, I doubt it will.

Unfortunately since he is a K-3 and it has to be mailed to the Chicago address and then processed by MSC, it will be longer than 30 days. Currently they are working on October, 2003 according to other posts I have read today about this.

Rete
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Thank you!
Immigrant Visa Application processing fee....$335.
Our I-130 has been approved, but we chose to proceed with the K-3 (129 was a bit quicker.... just so we could be together!)
Thanks. That's what I thought. So it is essentially the fee for the I-130, right? This came up the other day with another K3 applicant and myself and I wanted to clarify things.

Again congratulations.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:29 pm
Queen of the Obvious

Hi Kim.

Well, really the only option is to apply for EAD. It could finish before the IV is finished processing, or, could be the other way around.

I don't think that applying for work auth. has anything to do with the IV processing or the $335 fee - you'll have to pay that anyway. What I'm unsure of is if you have to file for AOS in order to file for EAD - I haven't done much research into this area.

Perhaps someone else can answer that question for you.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:30 pm
Queen of the Obvious

Originally posted by Leslie66
Thanks. That's what I thought. So it is essentially the fee for the I-130, right? This came up the other day with another K3 applicant and myself and I wanted to clarify things.

Again congratulations.
No - it's not the fee for the I-130 - it's the fee for the actual Immigrant Visa.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats, Rachel! Very happy all worked out.

What was the reason for the K3 denial? I recall you case was rather complicated. Could you give a quick synopsis?

Abdo and I are hoping to have his K3 approved before the I-130 paperwork makes it's way to Cairo. So far, approved by the NSC but I've received nothing from the NVC to complete. God forbid we have to go through this hassle again with that Consulate. Luckily, my local BCIS office is not backlogged so doing AOS here is MUCH preferable.

Thanks,
Patty
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:33 pm
WTF?

Originally posted by KimJ
No - it's not the fee for the I-130 - it's the fee for the actual Immigrant Visa.
True!! I already paid the freaking fee for the I-130.

Thanks.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete
Unfortunately since he is a K-3 and it has to be mailed to the Chicago address and then processed by MSC, it will be longer than 30 days. Currently they are working on October, 2003 according to other posts I have read today about this.

Rete

Thanks Rete.
So, we should send in the EAD to Chicago and wait..... AND proceed with the IV at the same time, right?
But he will not be working for a few months, is what you are saying?

thanks
Rachel
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rete.
So, we should send in the EAD to Chicago and wait..... AND proceed with the IV at the same time, right?
But he will not be working for a few months, is what you are saying?

thanks
Rachel

Depends. Does he want to go back to Tel Aviv to finalize the I-130 and then re-enter the US as a resident? If so, then go ahead with the processing by sending the money to NVC. If he wants instead to remain in the US and do his adjustment stateside (NYC) then contact the NVC and tell them that is want he would prefer to do. The choice is his.

Unfortunately, no EAD, no SS#, he can't work. If he doesn't get the EAD by the 90th day then on the 91st day he can go to NYC and ask for the interim. AFAIK, they are still giving it and the lines were minimal when we were there in mid-December.

Rete
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete
Depends. Does he want to go back to Tel Aviv to finalize the I-130 and then re-enter the US as a resident? If so, then go ahead with the processing by sending the money to NVC. If he wants instead to remain in the US and do his adjustment stateside (NYC) then contact the NVC and tell them that is want he would prefer to do. The choice is his.

Unfortunately, no EAD, no SS#, he can't work. If he doesn't get the EAD by the 90th day then on the 91st day he can go to NYC and ask for the interim. AFAIK, they are still giving it and the lines were minimal when we were there in mid-December.

Rete

We were thinking that Tel Aviv would be quicker (do you think?) and that way he could go and see his family at the same time.
Do you have any idea at all how long it would take, either way?

I guess we'll be at the Federal building on the 91st day, getting his interim EAD. We were there yesterday and the lines were not bad at all.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 4:11 pm
Concierge

We were thinking that Tel Aviv would be quicker (do you think?) and that way he could go and see his family at the same time.
Do you have any idea at all how long it would take, either way?

I guess we'll be at the Federal building on the 91st day, getting his interim EAD. We were there yesterday and the lines were not bad at all.

They have to be quicker than NYC which is 24 months and upwards at the moment.

If you are going the consular route, wouldn't it fall within the 3 to 6 month timeline if the I-130 is already approved? I mean he has already gotten his police clearance (if required), his medical, etc. so that should clear some of the obstacles. Does any one know if you go the consular route do you have to duplicate all that was done for the K-3?

Rete