Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How soon can you work after marriage on a K-1 visa?

How soon can you work after marriage on a K-1 visa?

Old Mar 13th 2003, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Amo mi Británico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How soon can you work after marriage on a K-1 visa?

Hi,

My spouse and I married a week ago, and he is very concerned that he will not be able to work until his Conditional status has changed.

We are mailing off our AOS paperwork today and are getting the idea that the cost of the AOS application and EAD is well over $400! Is this true?

Also, how long until my spouse is legitimately able to work in the US.

Thanks!
Old Mar 13th 2003, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

sharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to all

Hi! Congratulations!

Did your fiance get a 90 day EAD stamp at the airport? Has he
applied for his social security card?

Once he has his SS card and some sort of EAD (even the stamp) he can work. Technically he can work without the SS card, but finding an employer that will hire him is difficult! FYI - Rajat went and interviewed and signed up with temp agencies before he had his SSN... that way he was on file and some even sent him for interviews - he had his job lined up and waiting for his SSN. Some temp agencies will even allow you to begin work and use his A# until he receives his SSN. I hope you guys applied for the SSN before you married - from what I hear if you didn't it can take even longer to get a number. Our timeline details what we did better...

And yes, the AOS is very expensive!!

Once you apply for your AOS, you also apply for his 1 year EAD... hopefully you'll get your AOS interview before it expires (if not you must get another temp EAD) and then from what I understand after the AOS he'll be good to work permanently.

Good Luck!
Sharmila
Old Mar 13th 2003, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sharmilah, and thank you!

He didn't get an EAD stamp at the airport, and is now wondering why. We have not applied for the Social Security Card. We are going to do that tomorrow.

Now that we're married, can he send off for the EAD work permit separately from the rest of the AOS paperwork just so that we can get that going?

Thanks again!

Originally posted by sharmilashah
Hi! Congratulations!

Did your fiance get a 90 day EAD stamp at the airport? Has he
applied for his social security card?

Once he has his SS card and some sort of EAD (even the stamp) he can work. Technically he can work without the SS card, but finding an employer that will hire him is difficult! FYI - Rajat went and interviewed and signed up with temp agencies before he had his SSN... that way he was on file and some even sent him for interviews - he had his job lined up and waiting for his SSN. Some temp agencies will even allow you to begin work and use his A# until he receives his SSN. I hope you guys applied for the SSN before you married - from what I hear if you didn't it can take even longer to get a number. Our timeline details what we did better...

And yes, the AOS is very expensive!!

Once you apply for your AOS, you also apply for his 1 year EAD... hopefully you'll get your AOS interview before it expires (if not you must get another temp EAD) and then from what I understand after the AOS he'll be good to work permanently.

Good Luck!
Sharmila
Old Mar 13th 2003, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

sharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to allsharmilashah is a name known to all

Hi!

Unfortunately not all POE's issue stamps upon K-1 arrivals...
And since he didn't get a stamp at the airport he should have gone to the local INS office and applied for a temporary 90-day EAD card. But, you can only do this PRIOR To marriage and PRIOR TO filing adjustment of status. (FYI - some INS offices won't allow you to apply for a 90 day EAD anyway - they make you send in the application to the service center... which takes ages... costs $ and is useless by the time you get it)!

So, now, you should file an I-765 form when you file adjustment of status to obtain a 1-year EAD card, & use status (c)(9) when you file for the 1-year EAD card. You cannot file for a 1-year EAD card until you file your I-485 adjustment of status form (we just sent them off together)...

Your fiance should be prepared to wait a while before he can work... Sorry! This is really tough - we know!

I got this info from: http://k1.exit.com/AOS.html

Good luck!!

Sharmila

Last edited by sharmilashah; Mar 13th 2003 at 9:51 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:01 pm
Moises Carbajal

Default Re: How soon can you work after marriage on a K-1 visa?

My wife's EAD that was mailed with the AOS app took about 2 months
to process. Her new EAD forr this year about 10 weeks (in Chicago).

Hope this helps.

"Amo mi Británico" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    > My spouse and I married a week ago, and he is very concerned that he
    > will not be able to work until his Conditional status has changed.
    > We are mailing off our AOS paperwork today and are getting the idea
    > that the cost of the AOS application and EAD is well over $400! Is
    > this true?
    > Also, how long until my spouse is legitimately able to work in the US.
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 14th 2003, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: How soon can you work after marriage on a K-1 visa?

Hi,
When you say new EAD for this year, do you mean that she had to reapply?

Does anyone know of any jobs that he can do while he is waiting for his work permit?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Moises Carbajal
My wife's EAD that was mailed with the AOS app took about 2 months
to process. Her new EAD forr this year about 10 weeks (in Chicago).

Hope this helps.

"Amo mi Británico" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    > My spouse and I married a week ago, and he is very concerned that he
    > will not be able to work until his Conditional status has changed.
    > We are mailing off our AOS paperwork today and are getting the idea
    > that the cost of the AOS application and EAD is well over $400! Is
    > this true?
    > Also, how long until my spouse is legitimately able to work in the US.
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com