Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How do the cultures differ?

Wikiposts

Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:30 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do the cultures differ?

Originally Posted by Ray
Bring your Dog .....
My poor dog would die in that heat, she is a mountain baby..
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
My poor dog would die in that heat, she is a mountain baby..
I will loan you Spot the Dog ....
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh u surprise me annabella... I'm incredibly tactile.. Being from an Irish family thats all we bleeding do is kiss and cuddle eachother.. I haven't found that at all here.. although I have noticed that people are much more forward in their compliments.. My OH's boss walked into his office after the xmas do i attended and said 'your wife is beautiful'.. firstly.. NEVER, EVER would that happen in England.... and i wonder why he felt the need to say that.. I met the same fella again and he told me how lovely i smelt.. in front of my OH..!! Again, maybe thats a cultural differance.. but i found that quite strange!

I have posted many threads on how difficult I have found the kids and parents here in California.. there seems to be no moral standing when it comes to friendships and letting people down.. I hope I never become accustomed to that...

Theres not a HUGE cultural difference... but the differences are certainly there... thankfully I have learnt to accept most of them..
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
My OH's boss walked into his office after the xmas do i attended and said 'your wife is beautiful'.. firstly.. NEVER, EVER would that happen in England.
In england he would likely get punched in the face for doing that!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

My OH's boss walked into his office after the xmas do i attended and said 'your wife is beautiful'.. ..
probably pissed ....
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

he told me how lovely i smelt.
That happened to me with one of the trainee managers at work... I mentioned it my hubby, he did not seem too pleased.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
In england he would likely get punched in the face for doing that!
Wouldn't he though.. you would think he was being out of order... but my OH said, well i felt it was a compliment... and I was happy to accept it.. Had that of been in his office in London i reckon he would have taken it completely differently...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
probably pissed ....
I love you Ray...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:51 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh u surprise me annabella... I'm incredibly tactile.. Being from an Irish family thats all we bleeding do is kiss and cuddle eachother.. I haven't found that at all here.. although I have noticed that people are much more forward in their compliments.. My OH's boss walked into his office after the xmas do i attended and said 'your wife is beautiful'.. firstly.. NEVER, EVER would that happen in England.... and i wonder why he felt the need to say that.. I met the same fella again and he told me how lovely i smelt.. in front of my OH..!! Again, maybe thats a cultural differance.. but i found that quite strange!

I have posted many threads on how difficult I have found the kids and parents here in California.. there seems to be no moral standing when it comes to friendships and letting people down.. I hope I never become accustomed to that...

Theres not a HUGE cultural difference... but the differences are certainly there... thankfully I have learnt to accept most of them..
I realise that the differences are huge depending on where we live within the US. Of the places that I've been to here LA is the place where I've felt the most unwelcome and therefore the place I've disliked the most (waiting for LL comments on what a great place it is ). I live amongst some of the nicest people I have ever met, honestly. I've never been in a place where I've made so many friends so quickly, I seem to fit right it and that makes me love it here. Having said that, I'm lucky to be where I am, it's always sunny, people are friendly, it's really stunning, it's safe... I mean, there is no reason not to be happy in a place like this!! I'm amazed by the fact that most of my clients cuddle me, in England people saved their cuddles for xmas only!! and in Spain, where we just kiss each other all the time, I don't remember ever kissing any of my clients...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I never got asked within 5 minutes of meeting someone in the UK
"what church do you go to"
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Manc
I never got invited to church by complete strangers in England.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:56 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I never got invited to church by complete strangers in England.
heathen.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anabella
I realise that the differences are huge depending on where we live within the US. Of the places that I've been to here LA is the place where I've felt the most unwelcome and therefore the place I've disliked the most (waiting for LL comments on what a great place it is ). I live amongst some of the nicest people I have ever met, honestly. I've never been in a place where I've made so many friends so quickly, I seem to fit right it and that makes me love it here. Having said that, I'm lucky to be where I am, it's always sunny, people are friendly, it's really stunning, it's safe... I mean, there is no reason not to be happy in a place like this!! I'm amazed by the fact that most of my clients cuddle me, in England people saved their cuddles for xmas only!! and in Spain, where we just kiss each other all the time, I don't remember ever kissing any of my clients...
I hear exactly what you are saying... LA.. is NOT one of my favorite places (sorry LL)... Its seems here in SoCal... people are INCREDIBLY friendly... however there is no depth to what they are saying , sadly... If its lovin' and a cuddle your after.. no place on earth like Ireland
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sooooo true.. My sister who has lived in Utah for 20 years bet me that my kids would be invited to 'church' within a month of living here... I lost...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

heathen.
religion in general is a lot different here... West Michigan seems to be very religious. Lots of churches, lots of people wanting you to join their church, no spirits sold on Sundays (you get the picture) yet you shouldn't wish someone a Merry Christmas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.