Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help!! Will a caution affect my K1 application?

Help!! Will a caution affect my K1 application?

Old Sep 11th 2004, 11:11 am
Just Joined

xX*Mandy*Xx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!! Will a caution affect my K1 application?

Hi all,

My partner and I filed our I-129f in June 04 at Nebraska and we’re currently awaiting approval. I have been researching the next stage of this immigration process and understand that once approved, our file is then sent back to London where I will have to attend an interview/medical. I have been worrying myself sick these past few weeks though because when I was 17 I was caught smoking a joint and received a caution. I have my police record which has no convictions/prosecutions listed on it. Will the US embassy refuse me on the basis that I received a caution for smoking a joint some 13 years ago?

I went to my local police station and asked if this caution would pose a problem and they said that because I was under 18 and this happened so many years ago this caution record wouldn’t even exist therefore it would be highly unlikely that it will count against me. Should I seek legal advice? I read somewhere that there is a waiver I could file, but do I have to wait until the interview and a denial? Should I think about hiring a lawyer?

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Help and advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Mandy.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help!! Will a caution affect my K1 application?

Originally Posted by xX*Mandy*Xx
Hi all,

My partner and I filed our I-129f in June 04 at Nebraska and we’re currently awaiting approval. I have been researching the next stage of this immigration process and understand that once approved, our file is then sent back to London where I will have to attend an interview/medical. I have been worrying myself sick these past few weeks though because when I was 17 I was caught smoking a joint and received a caution. I have my police record which has no convictions/prosecutions listed on it. Will the US embassy refuse me on the basis that I received a caution for smoking a joint some 13 years ago?

I went to my local police station and asked if this caution would pose a problem and they said that because I was under 18 and this happened so many years ago this caution record wouldn’t even exist therefore it would be highly unlikely that it will count against me. Should I seek legal advice? I read somewhere that there is a waiver I could file, but do I have to wait until the interview and a denial? Should I think about hiring a lawyer?

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Help and advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Mandy.
Do a search on "I-601"s. There have been lots of folks on here that have filed waivers. There are also many folks on here that have received warnings, cautions, etc when they were minors.

Good luck.