Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help! Need to know if AP needs name check?

Help! Need to know if AP needs name check?

Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

RICKRGRS will become famous soon enoughRICKRGRS will become famous soon enough
Default Help! Need to know if AP needs name check?

Does anybody know whether an Advance Parole application could be approved while a 'name check' is pending for the Adjustment of Status?

In other words, isn't an I-131 appplication for an alien with a pending AOS subject to the same security name check process?
Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Need to know if AP needs name check?

Originally Posted by RICKRGRS
Does anybody know whether an Advance Parole application could be approved while a 'name check' is pending for the Adjustment of Status?

In other words, isn't an I-131 appplication for an alien with a pending AOS subject to the same security name check process?
Have you had your AOS interview yet?

Rene
Old Dec 14th 2004, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

RICKRGRS will become famous soon enoughRICKRGRS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Have you had your AOS interview yet?

Rene
Hi.
Thank you.
Yes. I-485 AOS interview was on August 2 20004, Los Angeles. Officer said 'No problem - you will get your green card - but first - we have to do a security name check...' [side bar - is it just another example of government inefficency that the 'name check' is not done before the AOS interview? Or is there a logical and pragamatic reason for putting the cart before the horse?]

After Congressional inquiry, letters to CIS, phone calls with the interviewing Officer, e-mails to the FBI - Nothing - just wait and see. OK fine, but what about Advance Parole? Is that a waste of $165 if it will not be granted without the security name check being done first?

Thank you for your response.

Rick
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
Thank you.
Yes. I-485 AOS interview was on August 2 20004, Los Angeles. Officer said 'No problem - you will get your green card - but first - we have to do a security name check...' [side bar - is it just another example of government inefficency that the 'name check' is not done before the AOS interview? Or is there a logical and pragamatic reason for putting the cart before the horse?]

After Congressional inquiry, letters to CIS, phone calls with the interviewing Officer, e-mails to the FBI - Nothing - just wait and see. OK fine, but what about Advance Parole? Is that a waste of $165 if it will not be granted without the security name check being done first?

Thank you for your response.

Rick
Hi Rick,

We haven't had our AOS interview yet...but I do know that the security checks are not always done by the time you have your AOS interview. And they can't grant PR until security check is done. I'm pretty sure you CAN get AP in the meantime, while security checks are pending....but I'm not sure you it's a good idea to travel out of the country during that time. Seems you are in a kind of limbo between having had the interview, but not yet approved for PR.

Hopefully someone else can chime in who knows for sure.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Dec 16th 2004, 4:27 am
Just Joined

bethuk is an unknown quantity at this point

i am in the same boat ..AOS interview oct 15 ok pending background check ..and obvioulsy still waiting.. i had applied for AP sept 11 prior to interview and still nothing...i have info pass appointment next week ..
i did asked the officer on my interview could i get AP she said no problem just send it in...christmas will be in LA not UK this year ..hopefully it will be the last time i cant travel
AOS {employment based} april 26 2002..YES LOTS OF TIME TO DO A BACKGROUND CHECK.....