Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help with Marriage visa ESTA/VWP

Help with Marriage visa ESTA/VWP

Old Jun 18th 2020, 4:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Marriage visa ESTA/VWP

Originally Posted by Pulaski
..... Agreed, Ian_R has neither shed any light nor added insight to the facts of the matter, and has further confused matters by presenting his concerns and opinons as facts. And he has missed some points entirely such as presidential orders being challenged in court, and that legislation can be promulgated and passed without the approval of the president, and that ultimately a presidential veto of legislation can be overrriden. The US is not a democratic dictatorship where the President has unlimited powers, and for most purposes the US president is the head of the civil service.
In support of my post above, the US Supreme Court, which is generally considered to currently have a conservative/ pro-Republican bias has just ruled that President Trump's attempt to end the DACA program for people who arrived in the US as children, is illegal.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

JonB 47 is an unknown quantity at this point

One small plus that those of you who's CR-1s are mired in the Covid-19 situation, is that there is a good chance that by the time things finally get settled down, and your application processed and approved, you may well end up with an IR-1 at the port of entry. ...... Even if you apply for and are approved for a CR-1, if you enter the US on your CR-1 visa after the second anniversary of your wedding, you will (should) be admitted to the US as having an IR-1 and will therefore immediately get a ten year, unconditional green card.
I hope this happens as my 2nd wedding anniversary falls on 20th Oct, (i130 was sent in 1st Nov 2018 and received 14th Nov 2018 at uscis. back then it was only showing as 6-8 month processing time until it kept getting longer and longer 12-15 month) as it stands I am still waiting for London to re-open and get a new date as the day I received the interview date was the same day UK went into lockdown on 23rd March and interview was April 24th. With my luck it will be done before that, I know I could wait but as I haven't seen my wife since the end of Oct 2018 (just lots of skype calls etc) I just want to get back there as soon as possible
Old Jun 24th 2020, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Given2Fly has a reputation beyond reputeGiven2Fly has a reputation beyond reputeGiven2Fly has a reputation beyond reputeGiven2Fly has a reputation beyond reputeGiven2Fly has a reputation beyond reputeGiven2Fly has a reputation beyond reputeGiven2Fly has a reputation beyond reputeGiven2Fly has a reputation beyond reputeGiven2Fly has a reputation beyond reputeGiven2Fly has a reputation beyond reputeGiven2Fly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonB 47
I hope this happens as my 2nd wedding anniversary falls on 20th Oct, (i130 was sent in 1st Nov 2018 and received 14th Nov 2018 at uscis. back then it was only showing as 6-8 month processing time until it kept getting longer and longer 12-15 month) as it stands I am still waiting for London to re-open and get a new date as the day I received the interview date was the same day UK went into lockdown on 23rd March and interview was April 24th. With my luck it will be done before that, I know I could wait but as I haven't seen my wife since the end of Oct 2018 (just lots of skype calls etc) I just want to get back there as soon as possible
I'm in pretty much the same boat. My interview should've been April 21st. 2 year wedding anniversary was June 10th.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 5:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuwoolf
Given the USCIS need for more money and the potential for a subsequent reduction in resources, a slow done in processing times propably is inevitable. However, with a bit of luck, the USC inspired applications eg Soouse visas, will be near the top of the pile to be actioned by the greatly reduced workforce.

Fingers crossed🤞

USCIS is primarily funded by the fees from petitions. I've not heard that it is on the verge of collapse and our ears are finely attuned to all things immigration.

I-130's filed stateside have always taken 3 to 10 months to get approved before it is sent to the US Consulate/Embassy abroad. So a wait time of 9 months is not at all surprising. As CS stated with COVID-19 shutting down much of the government offices for many weeks, petitions have fallen behind and timelines are longer. As Mr. Pulaski advised for those that would have gotten a CR instead of an IR because their marriage is under two years in length at time of Consular approval, they are now looking at IR status which means a 10 year green card and no removal of conditions needed.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 5:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, the petitions President Trump has always been in favor of derailing were not the ones that are for spouses or immediate relatives of US Citizens. I can see that he is making some headway in doing what he wants to do in regards to several work visas but he has not singled out any visas or petitions for permanent residency for those legally in the US with USC immediately family members. IMHO, those with K-1s will face the longest and more stringent relationship contingencies simple because they are not married yet to a US Citizen. Their petitions will be far lower on the list of priority visas. And please remember that you do not get a green card at the time of getting an approved CR-1 or IR-1. You get a visa to enter the US and your green card production order is only processed after you enter with an approved CR/IR visa.
Old Jun 28th 2020, 2:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
USCIS is primarily funded by the fees from petitions. I've not heard that it is on the verge of collapse and our ears are finely attuned to all things immigration. ....
Hmmm. You might want to take a look here, Rete. That was fairly widely reported at that time, back in mid May. I know the BBC had at least one article on the subject.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 28th 2020 at 2:26 am.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Bruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I am coming to this stream late but with the Presidential Proclamations back in March, you cannot travel to the US from UK, Ireland or Schengen zone unless special exemptions. I travel on an ESTA and had an immigration lawyer in the US draft a "national interest exemption" (NIE) which is one of the exemptions. They are decisioned by the port official on a case by case basis. I declared my intent was to marry and to return home, showing lots of evidential ties to the UK (including a dependent child) as well as a negative covid test but was refused permission to travel twice. The airline won't let you board unless you have proof you can enter the country otherwise they are fined.
I have now married in a 3rd country and will attempt to enter the country via the "spouse exemption".
FYI related to a point above, on my previous trips under ETSA I declared I was visiting my fiancée and they had no issues with that.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bruiser
I know I am coming to this stream late but with the Presidential Proclamations back in March, you cannot travel to the US from UK, Ireland or Schengen zone unless special exemptions. I travel on an ESTA and had an immigration lawyer in the US draft a "national interest exemption" (NIE) which is one of the exemptions. They are decisioned by the port official on a case by case basis. I declared my intent was to marry and to return home, showing lots of evidential ties to the UK (including a dependent child) as well as a negative covid test but was refused permission to travel twice. ....
Your marriage to a USC was "in the national interest"? WTF??? The waiver you solicited and presented was clearly at odds with the reasons you gave for travelling, so I am not surprise that you were denied entry!
Old Oct 7th 2020, 4:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

,,,,, National Interest Waiver? To get married?

I would LOVE for you to post a couple sentences from that letter. That attorney must have been laughing all the way to the bank!
Old Oct 7th 2020, 4:30 pm
Concierge

Two posts to your credit and you have had me in stitches since the second one.

Did you inquire which drugs your attorney was using or if he has the nickname "Joker" as an alias. Damn, man, and you paid for this service.

Barnum was right ... a fool is born every minute.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Wow! So much positivity! Lucky I'm British otherwise I'd take offence!

So firstly you CAN marry on an ESTA as long as you leave - this is stated by multiple attorneys and CBP. I was transparent with my intent, but yes, we knew it was a reach, 50% chance of success at best, but I've not been able to visit my fiancée since January and there is no likelihood of the Proclamations being reversed anytime soon.

The NIE angle was more around I would not be a detriment to US society (rather than positive interest) based on my zero criminal record, good non-immigration record (regular visitor and leaver) and zero covid test result. Yes a stretch but options were very limited (marriages in UK basically on hold due massive backlog).

Finally, the immigration attorney is highly regarded in her field and recommended (by non-interested 3rd parties) - we did as much homework as possible.

Ended up marrying the other week in Antigua - so silver lining and all that

Anyway, I'm glad I made your day - I notice a complete lack of advice as to how it "should" have been done?

Old Oct 7th 2020, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bruiser
...... So firstly you CAN marry on an ESTA as long as you leave - this is stated by multiple attorneys and CBP. ....
That is not disputed, and in fact I did so myself.
..... The NIE angle was more around I would not be a detriment to US society .....
So apparently your lawyer has no idea what a National Interest Waiver actually is?
.... Anyway, I'm glad I made your day - I notice a complete lack of advice as to how it "should" have been done? ....
That would be because there is currently no way to achieve directly what you are trying to acheive, and your third country marriage route is probably the best workaround.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 7th 2020 at 6:38 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 5:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, I'm glad I made your day - I notice a complete lack of advice as to how it "should" have been done?
Because right now it's basically impossible.

You would have saved yourself some money and headache by booking a flight to Antigua first!
Old Oct 7th 2020, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
You would have saved yourself some money and headache by booking a flight to Antigua first!
Yes, perhaps you are right. We were considering Jamaica but that option was closed when it was removed from the UK safe corridor (i.e. invalidates my travel insurance). The resorts in Antigua had not opened then. It was and still is a very moving feast. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, hence the existence of this fabulous forum to gain it from those who have gone before.

Old Oct 7th 2020, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

So apparently your lawyer has no idea what a National Interest Waiver actually is?
At the time there was no published definition of what the NIE (exception, not waiver) and was down to each senior port official (authorised ports only) to make the decision, hence why we had to write to them personally. I see now (as of 1 Oct) there is official guidance and applications must now go via the embassy. So things have changed and rules are becoming clearer, which is good.

Pulaski I appreciate many of your very informative posts on a wide variety of subjects on this forum - thank you. Out of curiosity are you legally trained or just well read in these fields?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.