Reload this Page >

Help with Marriage visa ESTA/VWP

Help with Marriage visa ESTA/VWP

Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

FuelG is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help with Marriage visa ESTA/VWP

Hi all

I am planning a trip to USA soon and will hopefully be getting married after visiting my partner for 5 years. I have taken multiple 2 week - 2 month trips to the same part of the states in which we will meet again next time.

I want to know what the best way is to approach the officer at the point of entry. I currently live with my parents so do not own a house, i do not drive and my new job is only temporary due to COVID. How will i prove my intentions to return home, even though i fully intend to do so. What do i say to the officer when he asks "what is the purpose of your visit" and what proof would i bring just incase it is needed. I have read that some people do not mention marriage while others have been fully honest and said everything. I am terrified that i will be denied entry should i have insufficient proof on my intentions to return home. i have also seen in other threads and on websites such as visajourney that you shouldn't lie to the officer (which of course i won't). Is it lying to say my visit is to be with my girlfriend or do i mention fiance this time? I have said that ever since my first visit.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Marriage visa ESTA/VWP

You have successfully entered the USA multiple times with no issues. Treat this entry the same way you treated all the other ones. Answer only the question asked, in as few words as possible, and don't lie.

Rene
Old Jun 13th 2020, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You have successfully entered the USA multiple times with no issues. Treat this entry the same way you treated all the other ones. Answer only the question asked, in as few words as possible, and don't lie.

Rene
Thanks for the reply! So when you say don't lie. What would I answer to the question " what is the purpose of your visit "

Thanks again.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 2:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The answer would be whatever the truth is, in as few words as possible.

Have they asked you this question before exactly that way? If so, what was your answer?

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2020, 2:13 am
Just Joined

The answer would be whatever the truth is, in as few words as possible.

Have they asked you this question before exactly that way? If so, what was your answer?

Rene
They have asked it every time and the answer is the same every time, to visit my partner. Would I just say the same again?
Old Jun 14th 2020, 3:03 am

If that's what you are planning to do, then that seems the logical answer, right? .

Rene
Old Jun 14th 2020, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

os306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond reputeos306 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FuelG
They have asked it every time and the answer is the same every time, to visit my partner. Would I just say the same again?
I was in the same position as you a few years ago, and this is exactly what I said.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point

The apparent concern here is there may be a refusal to enter USA. If that is the concern, why not fly via Ireland and clear US Immigration there? If the worst happens, its a lot easier to get back to UK from Ireland than be around 3,500 miles away. Just a thought.....

Last edited by stuwoolf; Jun 14th 2020 at 1:02 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 1:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all Noorah's advice. I married on a VWP visit myself, entering at Newark, and, as always, answered only the questions asked, briefly but politely.

"What is the purpose of your visit?", only needs a very general answer, not a laundry list of things you will be doing each day, so there is absolutely no need to mention that you will be getting married unless specifically asked "Will you be getting married?"
Old Jun 14th 2020, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree with all Noorah's advice. I married on a VWP visit myself, entering at Newark, and, as always, answered only the questions asked, briefly but politely.

"What is the purpose of your visit?", only needs a very general answer, not a laundry list of things you will be doing each day, so there is absolutely no need to mention that you will be getting married unless specifically asked "Will you be getting married?"
Brilliant. Thank you both, you have really put me at ease in regards to the situation!
Old Jun 14th 2020, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

If that's what you are planning to do, then that seems the logical answer, right? .

Rene
Originally Posted by os306
I was in the same position as you a few years ago, and this is exactly what I said.
Originally Posted by stuwoolf
The apparent concern here is there may be a refusal to enter USA. If that is the concern, why not fly via Ireland and clear US Immigration there? If the worst happens, its a lot easier to get back to UK from Ireland than be around 3,500 miles away. Just a thought.....
Originally Posted by Pulaski

thank you all!
Old Jun 14th 2020, 3:44 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Why not a K-1 petition and visa.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 3:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Perhaps the OP wants to be able to work immediately upon making the move to the States, rather than sitting around while the paperwork wends its way through the halls of officialdom.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Perhaps the OP wants to be able to work immediately upon making the move to the States, rather than sitting around while the paperwork wends its way through the halls of officialdom.
Or perhaps the USC-spouse will move to the UK after they marry .... and a non-British citizen can't get married in the UK without getting a visa even if they plan to leave the UK again after marrying, so marrying in the US before applying for a spouse visa for either country, is a common strategy.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2020 at 4:01 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 4:06 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Perhaps. I think the more common reason is to speed up coming to the US. Gov’t people call this “circumventing the orderly process.”

I chose not to speculate which is why I posed it as a question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.