Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

have a master's degree but cannot work... any suggestions?

have a master's degree but cannot work... any suggestions?

Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:16 pm
jeji123

Default have a master's degree but cannot work... any suggestions?

hi all...
i have a masters degree in international relations, but i could not
find any organization that would sponsor me (H1-B). i used up my OPT
working for two org. and now I am in H4 status. i do not know what to
do now - i am volunteering at couple of places. my husband is in
process of GC, but it will take many years... and i am worried that by
the time we will have GC, i will not have any relevant experience in
my field and it might be hard for me to find a job. could you please
give me any suggestions as to how to utilize my time?
thank you so much.

Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: have a master's degree but cannot work... any suggestions?

Originally Posted by jeji123
hi all...
thank you so much.
You are allowed to attend school on an H4. You can always go to classes to keep yourself current in your field until such time that you are allowed to work.

Also, you might want to double check on the volunteering effort. I don't think you're even supposed to volunteer....but I'm not 100% sure.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:42 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You are allowed to attend school on an H4. You can always go to classes to keep yourself current in your field until such time that you are allowed to work.

Also, you might want to double check on the volunteering effort. I don't think you're even supposed to volunteer....but I'm not 100% sure.

Rene
H4's can volunteer (or so i'm lead to understand )
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
H4's can volunteer (or so i'm lead to understand )
Agreed - no problem volunteering as long as no one else doing something similar is getting paid for it.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 2:50 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

When your husband applied for residency wasn't an I-485 send in for you as well. I thought as the wife of an H holder when they applied for green card, the spouse could tag along. If that is correct, you both can apply for an employment authorization document which will allow you to work apart from an H1 visa.

Originally Posted by jeji123
hi all...
thank you so much.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 2:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
When your husband applied for residency wasn't an I-485 send in for you as well. I thought as the wife of an H holder when they applied for green card, the spouse could tag along. If that is correct, you both can apply for an employment authorization document which will allow you to work apart from an H1 visa.
I suspect when she referred to being "in process of GC" she was referring to the dreaded labour certfication...
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:58 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I suspect when she referred to being "in process of GC" she was referring to the dreaded labour certfication...

it might even be the retrogression scenario. They may already be at the labor approved stage and waiting on date of progression (or whatever they are calling it)becoming valid. I'm currently at that point too, just waiting on the progression date becoming valid to file for the GC (which is only 4 years away at the mo ). Until then my OH can't work at all, just volunteer Wonder if they've got any jobs going in Canadia