Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Got K-1 Visa - now not sure what I do?

Got K-1 Visa - now not sure what I do?

Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got K-1 Visa - now not sure what I do?

Forgive my ignorance (it's amazing how often my posts start with that). I just want to check what happens once I have my K-1 visa?

I got the visa in London on 19th Feb and am flying out on 28th. We are getting married on 29th March. I was under the impression that once we are married I file for Adjustment of Status with the I-485 form (I haven't seen one yet). I think along with that form I have to complete:
I-765 - App for Employment Authorisation
I-864 - Affadavit of Support
G-325A - Biographical Imfo
I-131 App for Travl Document
I-693 - Medical Exam (does the info provided from my K-1 medical count towards that).

I need an I-94 to get my Social Security number. it mentions on visa.journey.com that I fill this out at the airport.

What I really could do with is knowing if the above info is right? Whether I have missed anything? Also, is there anything I can do now rather than wait until I get there? Any of your experiences following the receipt of your K-1 visa would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:23 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Got K-1 Visa - now not sure what I do?

Hiya Paul,

Work your way through this FAQ on AOS for more answers on what to do next and download your AOS forms here.

Check with your local office, (via the USCIS site) where you will be filing your paperwork as to whether they require your medical supplement with your AOS paperwork or at the interview, (as you're a K1-er you're not required to have a full medical again if filing for AOS within 12 months of your K1 medical) and to find your nearest civil surgeon.

The I-94, (white in color this time, not green) should be filled in on the plane to be handed in at the POE and you will be given back a portion which will be stamped for 90 days, (the time in which you have to get married). Keep hold of this portion and do not lose it, whatever you do!
Chances are that you'll not be able to get your SSN straight away, you're better off leaving it for a couple of weeks once you arrive before going to the SSA office.

Hope that helps

Best wishes

Tam
Old Feb 24th 2004, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

So basically I start filling forms again once I arrive in Boston! Thanks for the help
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Just to check, is the I-94 the little white form everybody gets given on the plane? I normally fill that and a green form in? Sorry I'm being dumb it just seems like that form doesn't really have much information on it for it to be so important!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:37 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Pauljarv
Just to check, is the I-94 the little white form everybody gets given on the plane? I normally fill that and a green form in?
Normally, you'd fill in the green one, (I-94W) but this time it'll be the white one as you have a visa and yes, you get given it on the plane along with the customs form.
Surprisingly enough, it's a really important piece of paper that you can't afford to lose, it shows that you've been inspected at the POE, i.e. that you have entered the country legally.