Going the DCF route

Old Sep 16th 2001, 5:58 pm
Danny Davis

I am going to go the GCF way. The first step seems to be the worst. Isn't that always
true. Then there is being prepared. I have read every GCF thing I can find. Every one
(including the US consulates) list things you need but is unclear about where or how
to obtain them. Please help me answer thse questions:

1. What EXACTLY is needed to obtain a marraige lisence in Russia and why does it take
about 5 weeks?
2. Can she apply for and get the lisence without me there if she has the proper
paperwork from me?
3. What is in Packet 3 and Packet 4?
4. Are there any other forms to be filled out?
5. Are all the forms downloadable?

Keep in mind that I am a little confused at the moment. I need an extra cup of coffee
in the morning to remember my own phone number. Being without my sweetheart is making
me a little anxious. (I know you all understand that) So PLEASE! Be specific. If
there are any sites that are particularly helpful please include them even if you
assume I have already read them, AND IF YOU HAVE GOTTEN A LISENCE, MARRIED IN RUSSIA,
AND SUBSEQUENTLY DONE A DCF IN MOSCOW, don't be shy, Write me PLEASE!!!!!!

Thanks Dan Davis

Old Sep 16th 2001, 6:35 pm
Michael Voight

Here it is, step by step

http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/rs1/wwwhca0.html

Someone posted here once that their fiancé was working with ZAGS to get this started
before he went their.

We didn't marry in Russia, but filed the I-130 there on March 31, 2000. We actually
go married in Vegas on March 7. Visa was granted on May 10, 2000

The only complication was the scheduling the medical near the interview date due to
the early May holidays. The medical is done in the morning of one day, the results
are available the evening of the second day. So, you have at least 2 business days to
be there before the interview.

The interview was 3 questions easily answered by looking at the documents we had...
Most of the conversation revolved around the "John/Jon Voight's Car" episode of
Seinfeld. That topic was brought up by the interviewer.

The police report in Novosibirsk was helped along by a can of coffee.

Michael

Old Sep 17th 2001, 4:58 am
Mapkw

Dan,

I am 80% through the DCF process with a new Russian wife. The last step is our
interview at the US embassy in Moscow in early October. Based on our experience, I
have provided some hopefully helpful tidbits with respect to your questions.

1. There is a 32 day waiting period from the time the Russian marriage application
is approved to when you can get married. I have heard stories of less time - but
I wouldn't count on them. In terms of exactly what documents you need - I found
the website for the US consulate in Vladivstok pretty helpful. Look for the link
entitled "5 Steps to a Russian Marriage". The website for the US Consulate in
Moscow also has some of the same stuff, but I found the Valdivstok site more
informative.

One of the biggest challenges that we faced in getting the marriage application
approved was getting a copy of the application that I could fill out (it had to be
translated and we had to check a couple of times to make sure the translation was
okay). The other tough part was that many of these documents need to have an
'apostile' - a process that is one level above having something notarized. Without
this apostile stamp, many of the documents (birth certicates, divorce certificates,
etc) that you need to apply for a marriage license become worthless paper outside of
the US. The apostile stamp makes them a legal international document recognized by
most countries (including Russia). Contact your state's secretary of state office for
information on how to do this - its a common request.

I also needed to provide a document proving that I was single. At least in Khabarovsk
they were statisfied with a letter from my state's records department that said they
had looked and found no record of marriage in the last 5 years. Not very convincing
evidence if you ask me - but it seemed to be irrelevant, all they wanted was that
official looking piece of paper.

2. You can apply from the US for the marriage licence (that's what I did). But if
you do this you have to get your documents translated into Russian and have this
translation authenticated by the Russian Embassy in the US. I strongly recommend
you seek help with this. I tried (briefly) doing it myself and quickly realized I
was in way over my head. It probably would have taken me months! Fortunately I
found a company in New York that was able to do the translations and faciliate
the authentication process. Go to www.amlogos.com for more information. It won't
be cheap (count on at least $300 including the charges from the Russian Embassy)
- but it will be fast and it will be what you need. They do this all the time.

3. For DCF - I understand that these don't consist of much more than the visa
application and the medical exam stuff. Look up the "Russian pages" from the
"Marriage Visa Pages" at K1.exit.com. Good stuff here.

4. and 5. - Again go to the "marriage visa pages" site. Among other things you will
need to submit the petition for immigration visa at a US consulate in Russia after
you get married there. Anyhow this site has links to filable forms and
instructions (what you need, how to fill out, etc).

By the way we were able to file the petition in Vladivstok (US Consulate) shortly
after we were married and they approved it in 2 days. This is one of the real
advantages of DCF. Try filing your petition in the US through the INS and near as I
can tell you are in for at least a 4 month wait for approval.

Good Luck with the wedding plans. I highly recommend getting married in Russia. It
was a great experience and I have never done so much singing, laughing, and dancing
in my life. I really feel like I have family in Russia now, I find myself missing
them. Plus of course I am really missing my wife - especially during the uncertain
times of the last week.

Mark

Danny Davis wrote in message ...

. Please help me answer thse
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 17th 2001, 1:57 pm
Danny Davis

Mark,

Thank you very much. I appreciate the more complete answer. My fiance is in Omsk. I
plan to put your info to immediate use. Especially the "filing from the US for
marraige lisence thing". I am trying to prepare for any eventuality and I can handle
most any situation but I have a 16 yo daughter and 12 yo son respectively that have
to stay here, so time away was a major concern.

Thanks a bunch, anything you need from Texas, just give me a holler. (redneck for
drop me a line)lol

Best wishes for you and yours, Danny

----- Original Message ----- From: "MapkW" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
alt.visa.us.marriage-based Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2001 11:58 PM Subject: Re:
Going the DCF route

>
    >
    >
is
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
is
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Vladivstok
    >
Marriage".
    >
stuff,
    >
    >
    >
    >
fill
    >
    >
these
    >
    >
    >
    >
The
    >
most
    >
    >
    >
    >
in
    >
    >
the
    >
to
    >
    >
    >
did).
    >
    >
I
    >
    >
    >
    >
to
    >
least
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
things
    >
consulate
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
missing
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >questions:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >1. What EXACTLY is needed to obtain a marraige lisence in Russia and why does it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > take about 5 weeks?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >2. Can she apply for and get the lisence without me there if she has the proper[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > paperwork from me?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >3. What is in Packet 3 and Packet 4?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >4. Are there any other forms to be filled out?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >5. Are all the forms downloadable?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>[/usenetquote2]