Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married in Korea

Getting married in Korea

Old Aug 18th 2005, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Kirsten21173 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married in Korea

I was looking at going the K-1 route, until that was sidetracked by him getting orders to South Korea, and he leaves in November. I am currently in the US on a visitor waiver visa, and leave next week to go home to the UK. So since we won't have time to do the K-1 process, he wants to fly me to Korea and get married on the base there. I was wondering what process we would need to take now, would we just apply for the K-3 marriage visa after the wedding, with me going back to the UK and him finishing up his year in Korea. Not sure if he actually has to be in the US to start the visa process. Any help would be great!!!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting married in Korea

Originally Posted by Kirsten21173
I was looking at going the K-1 route, until that was sidetracked by him getting orders to South Korea, and he leaves in November. I am currently in the US on a visitor waiver visa, and leave next week to go home to the UK. So since we won't have time to do the K-1 process, he wants to fly me to Korea and get married on the base there. I was wondering what process we would need to take now, would we just apply for the K-3 marriage visa after the wedding, with me going back to the UK and him finishing up his year in Korea. Not sure if he actually has to be in the US to start the visa process. Any help would be great!!!
Hi:

I believe SEO's website has information on getting married in Korea. BTW, if you do the K-3 route, the VISA application will have to be done in SEO if you get married there.

Also, since he is in the military, you might be able to do either a version of DCF or he can file the I-130 at the DHS office in SEO.

BTW, if you get an immigrant visa while he is in Korea AND he gets permission for you to accompany him, you will be eligible for IMMEDIATE naturalization after you get the green card.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 3:43 pm
Eric S.

If your fiance is in the military, I think he should be able to get some
help with your immigration from his JAG office.

Good luck.
- Eric S.

"Kirsten21173" <member42074@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > I was looking at going the K-1 route, until that was sidetracked by him
    > getting orders to South Korea, and he leaves in November. I am currently
    > in the US on a visitor waiver visa, and leave next week to go home to
    > the UK. So since we won't have time to do the K-1 process, he wants to
    > fly me to Korea and get married on the base there. I was wondering what
    > process we would need to take now, would we just apply for the K-3
    > marriage visa after the wedding, with me going back to the UK and him
    > finishing up his year in Korea. Not sure if he actually has to be in the
    > US to start the visa process. Any help would be great!!!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering why you can't get married now in the USA, and start the I-130 or K-3 process now? Why wait until he is in Korea? You will still go back to the UK to get your visa while he's in Korea.

Rene
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I believe SEO's website has information on getting married in Korea. BTW, if you do the K-3 route, the VISA application will have to be done in SEO if you get married there.

Also, since he is in the military, you might be able to do either a version of DCF or he can file the I-130 at the DHS office in SEO.

BTW, if you get an immigrant visa while he is in Korea AND he gets permission for you to accompany him, you will be eligible for IMMEDIATE naturalization after you get the green card.
SEO? DHS? Sorry, we're new to this stuff, so I'm not sure what those acronyms are. He talked to his JAG office a few weeks ago and was referred to the USCIS website. The JAG was very unhelpful. Thank you all for your patience with our questions. We have a consultation appointment tomorrow, and hopefully that steers us in the right direction, but we would like to have as many opinions on this as possible.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

SEO? DHS? Sorry, we're new to this stuff, so I'm not sure what those acronyms are. He talked to his JAG office a few weeks ago and was referred to the USCIS website. The JAG was very unhelpful. Thank you all for your patience with our questions. We have a consultation appointment tomorrow, and hopefully that steers us in the right direction, but we would like to have as many opinions on this as possible.
SEO - The US Embassy in Seoul, Korea
DHS - Department of Homeland Security
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Getting married in Korea

Originally Posted by Noorah101
SEO - The US Embassy in Seoul, Korea
DHS - Department of Homeland Security

Hello - Thank you so much for your help
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:27 am
Jonathan McNeil Wong

Eric S. wrote:
    > If your fiance is in the military, I think he should be able to get some
    > help with your immigration from his JAG office.
    >
    > Good luck.
    > - Eric S.
    >
    >
    > "Kirsten21173" <member42074@british_expats.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected] m...
    >
    >>I was looking at going the K-1 route, until that was sidetracked by him
    >>getting orders to South Korea, and he leaves in November. I am currently
    >>in the US on a visitor waiver visa, and leave next week to go home to
    >>the UK. So since we won't have time to do the K-1 process, he wants to
    >>fly me to Korea and get married on the base there. I was wondering what
    >>process we would need to take now, would we just apply for the K-3
    >>marriage visa after the wedding, with me going back to the UK and him
    >>finishing up his year in Korea. Not sure if he actually has to be in the
    >>US to start the visa process. Any help would be great!!!
    >>--
    >>Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >
    >
    >
She said that the JAG officer was unhelpful which is unfortunately
sometimes the case. I also find that the service person rather than the
alien spouse sometimes gets better help.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

================================================== =============
Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue Gallagher Woods LLP Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 URL: http://www.donahue.com
Oakland, CA 94604-2979 E-mail: [email protected]
================================================== =============