Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting close to filing the I-129F and have a few questions...

Getting close to filing the I-129F and have a few questions...

Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Michele840 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting close to filing the I-129F and have a few questions...

Hi,
I have been trying to gather together everything that I will need to send in the I-129F petition. Everything can be so complicated and I just hope that I'm doing everything correctly. I have also been looking at different websites, including this one, to see examples of other people that have been through this and to get some good help and information from others. Basically, I am 25 years old and a U.S. citizen. My fiance is 19 years old and a U.K. citizen. We are engaged and he wants to immigrate to America and for us to be married here. That is why we are going through this K1 Visa process. I've had him get passport-style photos of himself, fill out the G-325a forms twice signed and dated, to write the fiance letter of intent twice signed and dated and to send engagement cards that his family has given him. I just want to make sure that I do everything correctly. I just hope that I will have everything that I need and that everything is done correctly. It's enough to make someone paranoid and worried because we don't want to get turned down. I have a few questions though:

1) Do I need his birth certificate to send out the package because the form does not say that I need his but just mine? And, also, his birth certificate has a different name then his current name. His name was changed by his mother and she has a court order of it. But, since the I-129F form does not say that I need his birth certificate for the form then I wouldn't think that I would need it to send in the I-129F form.

2) Does he need to write out something for Question 18, about our relationship and how we came about, or just me because once again the form does not say anything about him having to and just me the petitioner. He has already written the fiance letter of intent about how he wants to marry me and he is legally able to and etc.

3) Something that concerns me is about the financial support thing. I am a low-income person and I am concerned that this will be a problem. I am not on welfare or anything like that, but I do have a low income that would probably not meet the financial standards. But, I can get a sponsor that would probably fulfill the financial standards. Would everything be okay?

4) When does the Affidavit of Support form need to be sent in? And which one, I-134 or I-864? I'm not sure about this.

5) Do we need to write addresses for the Fiance Letter of Intent or can it just be the statement with our names signed and dated?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Michele840; Aug 26th 2009 at 2:37 am.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting close to filing the I-129F and have a few questions...

Originally Posted by Michele840
I've had him get passport-style photos of himself, fill out the G-325a forms twice signed and dated, to write the fiance letter of intent twice signed and dated and to send engagement cards that his family has given him.
Hi Michele, Welcome to BE.

Why are you getting two of these things from him? One for you to keep, and one to send with the I-129F?

1) Do I need his birth certificate to send out the package because the form does not say that I need his but just mine? And, also, his birth certificate has a different name then his current name. His name was changed by his mother and she has a court order of it. But, since the I-129F form does not say that I need his birth certificate for the form then I wouldn't think that I would need it to send in the I-129F form.
You do not need his birth certificate at this time. He will need it later on (make sure it's the "long form" birth certificate), plus the court order that shows his name change.

2) Does he need to write out something for Question 18, about our relationship and how we came about, or just me
Just you.

He has already written the fiance letter of intent about how he wants to marry me and he is legally able to and etc.
Make sure you each have a letter of intent. You can either each write your own statement and sign it, or you can write just one letter saying "we intend..." and both sign it.

3) Something that concerns me is about the financial support thing. I am a low-income person and I am concerned that this will be a problem. I am not on welfare or anything like that, but I do have a low income that would probably not meet the financial standards. But, I can get a sponsor that would probably fulfill the financial standards. Would everything be okay?
As long as you have a sponsor who earns enough, that will be fine. They might also need to be your joint sponsor after he comes over to the USA and adjusts his status.

4) When does the Affidavit of Support form need to be sent in? And which one, I-134 or I-864? I'm not sure about this.
For the K-1 visa, you will send him the I-134 of the person who qualifies to be his sponsor. He will need to show it at his K-1 interview. After he comes to the USA and gets married, the I-864 will be required for his AOS. You will be his sponsor, even if you don't earn enough, and you will need a joint sponsor if you don't meet the income requirements.

5) Do we need to write addresses for the Fiance Letter of Intent or can it just be the statement with our names signed and dated?
Just your names, signed and dated.

Make sure you also complete a G-325A, and include the passport photos of yourself with your I-129F.

You didn't mention what evidence you'll be including to prove you met in person within the past two years, make sure you include that evidence with the I-129F

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:12 am
Just Joined

Thank you Rene. Your help is much appreciated.

"Why are you getting two of these things from him? One for you to keep, and one to send with the I-129F?"

Well, the reason why I was doing two of everything is so that I can have a complete copy of the I-129 to keep. On a different website they said to do this, so that is why I've been doing it that way.

"You didn't mention what evidence you'll be including to prove you met in person within the past two years, make sure you include that evidence with the I-129F"

Yes. I have evidence to include. This is what I was planning to include: airline tickets, 3 photos, engagement ring receipt, 2 different engagement cards from two of his family members and some email messages to each other. I was also thinking of using a receipt of a necklace he bought me when I visited him and a dinner receipt of when we went out to eat together at a restaurant.

Oh, and should we make copies of our passports to send with the I-129? I wasn't going to do that and I didn't tell him to do that.

Last edited by Michele840; Aug 26th 2009 at 3:16 am.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the reason why I was doing two of everything is so that I can have a complete copy of the I-129 to keep. On a different website they said to do this, so that is why I've been doing it that way.
OK, that's fine. You don't really need to keep originals for your own file, just a photocopy of the entire I-129F submission package.

Oh, and should we make copies of our passports to send with the I-129? I wasn't going to do that and I didn't tell him to do that.
Check the instructions again, but I don't think a copy of your passports is required, although it would be a good idea to send copies of any relevent passport pages that prove you went to each other's country.

Rene
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Check the instructions again, but I don't think a copy of your passports is required, although it would be a good idea to send copies of any relevent passport pages that prove you went to each other's country.

Rene
I don't see anything on the instructions about sending in our passports for the I-129. However, I was considering sending a photocopy of my own entire passport which has the stamps on the back from my recent trip to visit him.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:39 am

I don't see anything on the instructions about sending in our passports for the I-129. However, I was considering sending a photocopy of my own entire passport which has the stamps on the back from my recent trip to visit him.
Yes, I would send in that proof of your visit.

Rene
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:52 am
Just Joined

"Yes, I would send in that proof of your visit."

Ok. But, then should the entire passport be copied or just certain parts of it?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:05 am

"Yes, I would send in that proof of your visit."

Ok. But, then should the entire passport be copied or just certain parts of it?
When I did the I-129F, I sent photocopies of the cover page of my passport (the page showing my photo and info) plus any page that showed my visits to see my fiance. I didn't send any pages that showed travel elsewhere, as that was not relevent to the proof USCIS needed to see.

Rene
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Okay, thanks.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, thanks.
The US Passport also verifies that you are a USC - as only a USC can petition for a fiance.

Ian
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:57 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

M,

I always start wondering, and worrying, when I read something like this. The way most people state it - including you - seems to imply that the sponsor is merely expected to sign a piece of paper to make things look good for immigration but no financial support is actually expected.

The financial requirements for immigration are quite low - see I-864P. If your financial situation really doesn't meet the requirements for sponsoring an immigrant then meeting the affidavit of support requirements for immigration may not be as big a problem as meeting the financial requirements for a happy and stable marriage. Financial stress is a leading cause of marriage breakdown and divorce.

On the other hand, if you are going to need financial assistance to support your family of two, and you have a sponsor who really is going to help you with money and not just be a sponsor in name only, good for you.

In any case, good luck and best wishes.

Regards, JEff