Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Get married now then apply?

Get married now then apply?

Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:01 pm
Thebrinhigg

Default Get married now then apply?

I am living in America with a Q2 visa from Britain. I will be marrying a
US citizen and was wondering if anyone has any info on how to go ahead.

Is it best to go ahead with the ceremony then apply for whatever is
needed or go through the whole K-1 thing?

How long does this take? and how much approximately does it cost?

Cheers,

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com

Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get married now then apply?

Originally Posted by Thebrinhigg
I am living in America with a Q2 visa from Britain. I will be marrying a
US citizen and was wondering if anyone has any info on how to go ahead.

Is it best to go ahead with the ceremony then apply for whatever is
needed or go through the whole K-1 thing?

How long does this take? and how much approximately does it cost?

Cheers,

--
I wasn't sure what a Q2 visa was, so I looked it up:

Q9 Define Q -2Visa?
A9 Q-2 visa issued to Irish nationals. This visa is to provide an opportunity for young people in areas that have a long history of violence and chronic unemployment to learn job skills and conflict resolution and then contribute what they have learned to the rejuvenation of the region. Q-2 visas will be issued in only three years, 2000, 2001 and 2002, and the visas are good for a maximum of three years. This program is designed to further steps toward peace in Ireland by providing employment and training opportunities to young people who live in areas where sectarian violence has been common.

Unless this is outdated, it sounds like your visa is expired. The latest you got it would have been 2002, good for 3 years, which would have been last year.

If you want to go through the K-1 process, you'd have to return to your home country, and if you've been in overstay here, that could cause a ban. So you might want to think twice about that route.

Otherwise, you'd marry and apply to adjust your status to permanent resident. How long that takes depends on where your local office is. Each one has a different processing time. Could range from 4 months to 2 years.

The cost? If you go this route, it's around $800 just for the fees. On top of that you have to get a medical done at your own expense. If you have a lawyer's help, lawyers fees will add on to that.

You might want to double check whether the Q2 visa is one that allows for adjusting status in the USA.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I just found this on another site:

It should be noted that the Category 2 component of the program has been discontinued. From 2001-2003, companies in Northern Ireland and the border counties of the Republic were able to nominate their employees for an employer-to-employer exchange. The remaining Category 2 participants will return home by September 30, 2006.

So maybe you're one of these.

Rene
Old Apr 20th 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of questions for you:
- How long have you been here?
- When and how did you meet your fiancee?
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:30 pm
Thebrinhigg

> > I am living in America with a Q2 visa from Britain. I will be
    > > marrying a
    > > US citizen and was wondering if anyone has any info on how to
    > > go ahead.
    > > Is it best to go ahead with the ceremony then apply for whatever is
    > > needed or go through the whole K-1 thing?
    > > How long does this take? and how much approximately does it cost?
    > > Cheers,
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://expatforums.com
    > Couple of questions for you:
    > - How long have you been here?
    > - When and how did you meet your fiancee?
    > --

I was on the last group to come to the states before the Q2 got changed
to the way it is now. I have until the end of September 2006 on this
current Q2. I met my Fiance through friends and we have been together
for a year now. Marriage is a very special thing and under no
circumstances would I do it just to stay.

I am not looking forward to all the hurdles I will have to jump, but I
am looking forward to being with her.

--

Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:54 pm

If you do the K-1 fiance visa, you'll have to return to your home country for visa processing. See here: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiance.htm

If you want to remain in the USA and adjust your status to permanent resident, see here: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm

Best Wishes,
Rene