Reload this Page >

Filling out I-864 while visiting the UK

Filling out I-864 while visiting the UK

Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Bnmciver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filling out I-864 while visiting the UK

Hello, thanks in advance for any help!

I am a USC and have petitioned for my UK husband. I filed the I-130 in the US in April which was approved last month. Our file is now with the NVC, we have already chosen an agent and we are now at the point where we have to submit form DS260 and I864.

This is where I get confused; I left the US August 1st with no visa and am planning on staying the full 6 months as per my passport stamp.

I'm unsure how to fill out my address on the above mentioned forms. Am I considered to be domicile in the US or U.K.?

Thank you
Brittany
Old Oct 24th 2016, 10:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filling out I-864 while visiting the UK

You are visiting the UK, your address is still your address in the US.

You say you have "chosen an agent", please tell me that doesn't mean you are planning to use a "visa agent".
Old Oct 24th 2016, 10:24 am
Just Joined

By choosing an agent I am referring to the NVC requirement for my U.K. Husband to choose whom the NVC corresponds with, we chose myself as the agent.

A follow up question for you; there are three sections for address on the i864

1) mailing address
2)physical address
3) country of domicile

Would I need to put my U.K. Address as the "physical address" ?
Old Oct 24th 2016, 10:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bnmciver
.... Would I need to put my U.K. Address as the "physical address" ?
You don't have a UK address, you are a visitor in the UK.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 1:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a USC and have petitioned for my UK husband. I filed the I-130 in the US in April which was approved last month. Our file is now with the NVC, we have already chosen an agent and we are now at the point where we have to submit form DS260 and I864.

This is where I get confused; I left the US August 1st with no visa and am planning on staying the full 6 months as per my passport stamp.

I'm unsure how to fill out my address on the above mentioned forms. Am I considered to be domicile in the US or U.K.?

Thank you
Brittany
You are domiciled in the USA. Use your US address on all forms. You are only visiting the UK, not living there or domiciled there.

Rene
Old Oct 24th 2016, 1:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've asked for this post to be redirected to the proper forum -- US Marriage-based Visa Forum

Hi and welcome to BE

We have a great forum dedicated to assisting people going through marriage-based visas to the US. I urge you to post there for answers to the myriad of questions you are going to be having during this process.

Just to reiterate what Mr. P has replied in his two posts, your address is in the US. You are only visiting the UK. You do not have the right to live and work there, unfortunately, so putting that address is incorrect. If you were visiting California for a month, would you put that vacation address down? No, of course, not

I am hoping that you will be returning home within the next few weeks or so or that at the very least there is someone there who will scan and email you any mail you receive from the USCIS before you return.

While we stress that the questions be taken at face value, you always answer truthfully. Beware of using the terms "NO" and "N/A". They are not interchangeable.

At any point you could receive an RFE and if not promptly attended to your application will languish, if not be denied, because of not replying in a timely manner.

Looking forward to seeing you in the Marriage-Based Visa forum.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you are using assets to qualify financially? It seems that you aren't working, since you can be away from the USA for 6 months. Or perhaps your spouse's income will continue from the same source once inside the USA?

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I assume you are using assets to qualify financially? It seems that you aren't working, since you can be away from the USA for 6 months. Or perhaps your spouse's income will continue from the same source once inside the USA?

Rene
My mother will be a joint sponsor.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
I've asked for this post to be redirected to the proper forum -- US Marriage-based Visa Forum

Hi and welcome to BE

We have a great forum dedicated to assisting people going through marriage-based visas to the US. I urge you to post there for answers to the myriad of questions you are going to be having during this process.

Just to reiterate what Mr. P has replied in his two posts, your address is in the US. You are only visiting the UK. You do not have the right to live and work there, unfortunately, so putting that address is incorrect. If you were visiting California for a month, would you put that vacation address down? No, of course, not

I am hoping that you will be returning home within the next few weeks or so or that at the very least there is someone there who will scan and email you any mail you receive from the USCIS before you return.

While we stress that the questions be taken at face value, you always answer truthfully. Beware of using the terms "NO" and "N/A". They are not interchangeable.

At any point you could receive an RFE and if not promptly attended to your application will languish, if not be denied, because of not replying in a timely manner.

Looking forward to seeing you in the Marriage-Based Visa forum.
I will not be returning to the US for 4 months.

I ask the question because the form asks for a physical address. So it's not as straight forward as you're making it seem
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I ask the question because the form asks for a physical address.
Your physical address is where you live... not where you're visiting. This would be your US address. Your mailing address, physical address, and country of domicile are all the US. Why? Because you don't live in the UK... you are only visiting the UK, regardless of how long you spend there.

So it's not as straight forward as you're making it seem
It is actually very straight forward. You are the one who is making distinctions where none are required.

Ian
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:33 pm

I will not be returning to the US for 4 months.

I ask the question because the form asks for a physical address. So it's not as straight forward as you're making it seem
As we have all told you, it is entirely clear, and you are only confusing yourself by trying to use a vacation address when that would never be appropriate. Your only staus in the UK is "visitor", and using such a temporary address will only cause problems and confusion, as indeed it already has, to you.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As we have all told you, it is entirely clear, and you are only confusing yourself by trying to use a vacation address when that would never be appropriate. Your only staus in the UK is "visitor", and using such a temporary address will only cause problems and confusion, as indeed it already has, to you.
Was that last bit really necessary? Or do you just enjoy being rude.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your physical address is where you live... not where you're visiting. This would be your US address. Your mailing address, physical address, and country of domicile are all the US. Why? Because you don't live in the UK... you are only visiting the UK, regardless of how long you spend there.

It is actually very straight forward. You are the one who is making distinctions where none are required.

Ian
On all the government websites there is no distinction under the terms of "temporarily outside of the United States". If you could point me to where you got your information that'd be great.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 8:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

On all the government websites there is no distinction under the terms of "temporarily outside of the United States". If you could point me to where you got your information that'd be great.
Hi again

I don't understand what you mean exactly that there is no distinction made in government websites re: the term "temporarily outside of the United States". Why would you need an explanation of the phrase. It is self-explanatory.

The good people here are only attempting to answer your questions, which have been asked trillions of times over the last 18 years, and answered with the same information.

You are free to dispute their and my replies and go with what you think is the correct answer, check with an immigration attorney, find another immigration website to ask the same questions, etc. If the NVC has a problem with your completion of the I-864, they will contact you as your husband's agent. It might delay it a few weeks or months but it is not the end of the world if you receive a RFE.

We are only trying to answer the question you posed with our collective 18 years hands on experience.

PS Pulaski was not being rude. You are adamant in your disbelief of the repetitive replies stating the same thing over and over again. He was simply pointing out that this disbelief is causing you a problem and confusion.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 26th 2016 at 8:15 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Four highly knowledgeable and experienced people have answered your question. I am not sure why you asked it if you are not willing to accept the one consistent answer they have given.

There is no website anywhere that provides the answers to every possible question!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.