Default Re: Fiancee's Mother

manc1976 wrote:

> Originally posted by Yuriy
    >
    >>She is an elderly lady
    >
    >
    > Can I sell you the health insurance? I'll be able to send my
    > kids to college on the commisions alone.
    >

Is there a minumum work time to be eligible to receive Medicare?

Old Mar 27th 2004, 3:51 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Mtravelkay
manc1976 wrote:

> Originally posted by Yuriy
    >
    >>She is an elderly lady
    >
    >
    > Can I sell you the health insurance? I'll be able to send my
    > kids to college on the commisions alone.
    >

Is there a minumum work time to be eligible to receive Medicare?
Yes and no.

You can receive Medicare once you have been resident in the US for 5 years.

However if you do not qualify through work you will have to pay premiums for Part A.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 9:57 pm
Mtravelkay

lairdside wrote:

>
    >>Is there a
    >
    > minumum work time to be eligible to receive Medicare?
    >
    > Yes and
    > no.
    >
    > You can receive Medicare once you have been resident in the US for
    > 5 years.
    >
    > However if you do not qualify through work you will have to
    > pay premiums for Part A.
    >

How much work?

Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Yuriy is an unknown quantity at this point

Re you guys serious. Why do you see a conspiracy theory everywhere?

I have nothing to do with the other sister.
But my wife's happiness depends on her mother's being here.
I will do anything legal or illegal to make my wife happy.
Is that wrong? Maybe.
But isn't it wrong not to do everything for love?
Old Mar 28th 2004, 12:53 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Mtravelkay
lairdside wrote:

>
    >>Is there a
    >
    > minumum work time to be eligible to receive Medicare?
    >
    > Yes and
    > no.
    >
    > You can receive Medicare once you have been resident in the US for
    > 5 years.
    >
    > However if you do not qualify through work you will have to
    > pay premiums for Part A.
    >

How much work?
Generally 10 years but there are some exceptions. Someone may also qualify for coverage if they have a disability or End-Stage Renal disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or transplant).

This is from the horses mouth re:exceptions (medicare.gov)
Here are some simple guidelines. You can get Part A at age 65 without having to pay premiums if:

You are already receiving retirement benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board.

You are eligible to receive Social Security or Railroad benefits but have not yet filed for them.

You or your spouse had Medicare-covered government employment.
If you are under 65, you can get Part A without having to pay premiums if:

You have received Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board disability benefit for 24 months.

You are a kidney dialysis or kidney transplant patient.
While you do not have to pay a premium for Part A if you meet one of those conditions, you must pay for Part B if you want it. The Part B monthly premium in 2004 is $66.60. It is deducted from your Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or Civil Service Retirement check. If you do not get any of the above payments, Medicare sends you a bill for your Part B premium every 3 months.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

curlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nice

Just out of interest, does anyone know how long the backlog is for bringing a parent(s) over once you are a citizen? Is it State dependent? Do you send the forms off to the same local office as you do for AOS as a spouse? Do you apply once the parent is HERE or while they are still in the UK?

I'm asking cos I would like the option to have my parents move here in a few years time.

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

As soon as your spouse naturalizes, then she can immigrate mother. However, do note that the I-130's for "Immediate Relatives" are backlogged and unlike IR spouses, there is no K-3.

Otherwise, Mum has to qualify for immigration indepdendent of family relations.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems a fair question, I also have elderly parents and we had sort of assumed that we would go back when that time came. My other half is a USC.

From my investigations the answer seems to be that they can come over on the visa waiver and probably will not be quizzed too much about length of stay, frquency etc, etc as they obviously will not be coming to work, both in their late 70's.

The big issue is as someone mentioned, the lack of health care here. Unless you pay for it of course.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yuriy
Re you guys serious. Why do you see a conspiracy theory everywhere?
I have nothing to do with the other sister.
But my wife's happiness depends on her mother's being here.
I will do anything legal or illegal to make my wife happy.
Is that wrong? Maybe.
Sorry Yuriy..we was funning you a bit...

"I will do anything legal or illegal to make my wife happy.
Is that wrong? Maybe."
illegal is definately wrong, you could Jeopardise you wife status and your freedom

You cannor perform miracles no matter how much you love..You will have to wait until your wife gets her Citizenship, then go for it....
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by curlylocks
Just out of interest, does anyone know how long the backlog is for bringing a parent(s) over once you are a citizen? Is it State dependent? Do you send the forms off to the same local office as you do for AOS as a spouse? Do you apply once the parent is HERE or while they are still in the UK?
I'm asking cos I would like the option to have my parents move here in a few years time.
All the answer here http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/parents.htm
bear in mind than when USCIS say immediate vise that mean maybe a year or so
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:27 pm
Ray

Originally posted by Boiler
Seems a fair question, I also have elderly parents and we had sort of assumed that we would go back when that time came. My other half is a USC.
From my investigations the answer seems to be that they can come over on the visa waiver and probably will not be quizzed too much about length of stay, frquency etc, etc as they obviously will not be coming to work, both in their late 70's.
The big issue is as someone mentioned, the lack of health care here. Unless you pay for it of course.
If they come on a VW its strictly 90 days They could get a B-2 visa with little trouble allowing them 180 days...My Mum is here 80s and the travel Insurance is the biggest problem...
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Realistically it would be my Mum, my Dad is too attached to his armchair, and only if she outlived him.

She is coming over for the wedding and was quite pleased to get her Travel Insurance for GBP60ish for 2 weeks, she has had cancer treatment.

I thought you would have a problem getting a B2 if you qualified for a Visa Waiver? Or would that not be a problem for a OAP?
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:37 pm
Ray

Realistically it would be my Mum, my Dad is too attached to his armchair, and only if she outlived him.

She is coming over for the wedding and was quite pleased to get her Travel Insurance for GBP60ish for 2 weeks, she has had cancer treatment.

I thought you would have a problem getting a B2 if you qualified for a Visa Waiver? Or would that not be a problem for a OAP?
My mums a bit like that too..she likes her home comforts ..If she wants to come longer than 90 days she will have no trouble getting a B-2 ..She is hardly going to be looking for work and I am sure you can prove she is returning to other family member back home.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:40 pm
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by ray6
If they come on a VW its strictly 90 days They could get a B-2 visa with little trouble allowing them 180 days...My Mum is here 80s and the travel Insurance is the biggest problem...
Ray - I have experience with obtaining reasonably priced travel insurance for someone in a "difficult to insure" group.

Try Age Concern and also an outfit called Freedom Travel Insurance.

If you have any probs please give me a shout.

Victoria.

P.S: Freedom also do extended stay policies for up 18 months in duration which could be a useful stopgap measure for those requiring cover whilst getting a family member onto a US policy.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

Nope, let us see how she takes to the journey and the altitude. I am in Colorado and the furthest that she has been is Greece.

I am sure that the reality will not be what she expects, it certainly was not for me.

Thanks for all the help, I have a Brother who lives near them, but not fair or right to put all the load on him.

You just never know how things will pan through.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:45 pm
Howling at the Moon

I just got an annual worldwide policy, including wintersports cover, for my 14 yr old son, a couple of weeks ago.

He is in his second remission from B Cell ALL (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia) and only came off treatment less than a year ago, he still has check-ups every month.

The insurance also covers him to travel without a designated adult.

The broker was Freedom, the insurance company is Fortis.

Cost 90 odd quid.

Honest - try them

His previous cover was with Age Concern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.