Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Employment during adjustment of status

Employment during adjustment of status

Old Sep 25th 2001, 5:30 pm
Ganesh Gopalan

Hello all,

What are the pros and cons of applying for the EAD along with the I-485 rather than
waiting for INS to send one eventually ? Is the EAD authorized for a specific
employer (i.e. the current one) or does it allow you to work for anyone in general ?

Thanks, Ganesh.

Old Sep 26th 2001, 6:18 am
Shelley

The INS will not send you an EAD card unless you apply for it. If you are planning to
work during your AOS you will have to have one (I believe the exception is if you
have an H1b then you can continue working for that employer until you adjust status
without an EAD), and you can apply for the EAD with your I-485. If you apply for the
EAD after you apply for AOS, you will need to include a copy of the receipt from
filing the I-485 with your I-765 application. With an EAD card, you can work for
anyone you like, and at more than one job if you wish. However if you are in H1b
status and receive an EAD card, you need to inform your employer of the change. Also,
once you file the I-485 you will need Advance Parole to travel out of the country,
even if you have an H1b. Take Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
work
    >

Old Sep 26th 2001, 5:45 pm
Ganesh Gopalan

Shelley,

Thanks for the response ! I had some more questions. Let me elaborate on my
situation.

I have an approved I-140 in EB-2. I am about to file the I-485. My H1-B is valid till
Dec. 2003. I am aware that the arrival of the actual green card may take 2+ years
from this point.

1) What happens to this process if I have to find a new job (due to layoffs
etc.) after filing the I-485 ? Would it be better to have an EAD if this
situation arises ?
2) Is it possible to have both an EAD and an H1-B ? If so, am I still in H status or
does the EAD invalidate the H status ?
3)At what point in the 485 process are you no longer tied to your current
employer/job ? (I would like to continue with my current job, but in case that's
not possible because of the economy etc.)

Thanks & regards, Ganesh.

P.S. There's an explanation at http://www.usvisanews.com/memo1341.html under "Section
106(c): Change of Employment Permitted in Cases of Lengthy Adjustment
Adjudication " Any comments on that ?

>
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
you
    >
    >
    >
job
    >
inform
    >
    >
of
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hello all, What are the pros and cons of applying for the EAD along with the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I-485 rather than waiting for INS to send one eventually ? Is the EAD[/usenetquote2]
authorized
[usenetquote2]> > for a specific employer (i.e. the current one) or does it allow you to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > for anyone in general ? Thanks, Ganesh.[/usenetquote2]