EAD Timeline

Old Jun 26th 2006, 7:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD Timeline

Originally Posted by Knight
Firstly, thanks very much for the prompt reply.

Now, does the POE comment mean that only JFK is authourised to issue this temporary EAD, or other international airports refuse to do so? I will be flying into Memphis ideally, but if JFK is required to make the first few months a little easier than I may have to rethink my travel itinerary.

Regards,
Adam
Hi Adam,

To my knowledge, JFK is the only POE that currently gives out the stamp, although all POE's at one point did it, or can do it....they all decided not to any longer (for whatever reason), and only JFK still does.

You still HAVE the work authorization built into the K-1. The problem lies with an employer who doesn't know this, and wants to see proof of your work authorization. The choice is yours to change your route to come through JFK to get the temp EAD stamp or just skip it. We already had plans to come through JFK on our flight, so it was easy for us.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2006, 7:55 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You still HAVE the work authorization built into the K-1. The problem lies with an employer who doesn't know this, and wants to see proof of your work authorization.
I see...

I read once that when applying for an SSN on a K1 visa, it was recommended to take a print out of a piece of legislation with you that stated K1 visa holders were elligable for a SNN as some offices were not aware of this.

I don't suppose there is a similar "document" which can be of use in this sort of situation? Is it the norm to just wait out the 3 months for your EAD application to be processed with your AOS and not work from arrival until that point?

I know there won't be a problem, the I-134 states that there is enough money available through the sponsor(s), but it would still be nice to be able to get into a family life with some sense of normality as soon as possible. 3 months is a long time without a job.

Regards,
Adam
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't suppose there is a similar "document" which can be of use in this sort of situation? Is it the norm to just wait out the 3 months for your EAD application to be processed with your AOS and not work from arrival until that point?
You mean a print out that states K-1's are work authorized for 90 days? I'm sure there is. Try doing a search on www.uscis.com or google it. I'll see if I can find something on it after lunch here.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I see...

I read once that when applying for an SSN on a K1 visa, it was recommended to take a print out of a piece of legislation with you that stated K1 visa holders were elligable for a SNN as some offices were not aware of this.

I know there won't be a problem, the I-134 states that there is enough money available through the sponsor(s), but it would still be nice to be able to get into a family life with some sense of normality as soon as possible. 3 months is a long time without a job.

Regards,
Adam
Adam,
More realistically, look at 4-7 months without a job. (Count arrival, getting married, posting AOS + EAD---none of it happens instantaneously).
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:54 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Adam,
More realistically, look at 4-7 months without a job. (Count arrival, getting married, posting AOS + EAD---none of it happens instantaneously).
I guess I need to just not get my hopes up too much. I did read some USCIS manual for employers about work authorisation (http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/lawsre...k/hand_emp.pdf) and that listen the types of documents that an employee needed to see to complete I-9, and a K1 visa wasn't there. This was a document from '91 though. They don't seem to bothered about updating these things.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:22 pm

I guess I need to just not get my hopes up too much. I did read some USCIS manual for employers about work authorisation (http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/lawsre...k/hand_emp.pdf) and that listen the types of documents that an employee needed to see to complete I-9, and a K1 visa wasn't there. This was a document from '91 though. They don't seem to bothered about updating these things.
The K-1 visa all in itself is NOT proof of work authorization. It's the EAD card or stamp that carries the proof. That's why it's hard when you dont' have it...the K-1 carries work authorization, but the visa itself isn't the proof of it.

Rene