Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

ead lost but aos interview 10/25, reapply or wait?

ead lost but aos interview 10/25, reapply or wait?

Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

pj2cents is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ead lost but aos interview 10/25, reapply or wait?

My husband lost his first 1-year EAD card which expires in Dec. 05. He was recently laid off from his job and needs to find another job asap. We have our AOS interview scheduled for Oct 25 in Tampa. Should we 1) apply for replacement EAD at$175, and/or 2) apply for renewal EAD at another $175, or 3) just wait for the AOS interview and pray and hope for the greencard shortly thereafter? He does have a copy of the lost EAD card. I'm wondering if when he applies for jobs (construction) that he could just show the copy of the EAD--and an employer would accept it - has anyone tried this?

timeline: k1 visa received from Jamaica and arrived in U.S. 7/21/04. Married 8/27/04. Submitted that AOS paperwork in October and got EAD card and AP in mail, January 05. Received notice of AOS interview not too long ago, and interview is scheduled Oct 25, 05 in Tampa.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ead lost but aos interview 10/25, reapply or wait?

Originally Posted by pj2cents
My husband lost his first 1-year EAD card which expires in Dec. 05. He was recently laid off from his job and needs to find another job asap. We have our AOS interview scheduled for Oct 25 in Tampa. Should we 1) apply for replacement EAD at$175, and/or 2) apply for renewal EAD at another $175, or 3) just wait for the AOS interview and pray and hope for the greencard shortly thereafter? He does have a copy of the lost EAD card. I'm wondering if when he applies for jobs (construction) that he could just show the copy of the EAD--and an employer would accept it - has anyone tried this?

timeline: k1 visa received from Jamaica and arrived in U.S. 7/21/04. Married 8/27/04. Submitted that AOS paperwork in October and got EAD card and AP in mail, January 05. Received notice of AOS interview not too long ago, and interview is scheduled Oct 25, 05 in Tampa.
Hi pj,

About the only thing I can offer is that even a renewal EAD card can take around 2 - 3 months to receive, so he won't even get that until close to the interview date. If a company will hire him by showing the photocopy of the EAD, wonderful. It would be a shame to be out of work for a few months while he is eligible to work...I'm not sure if there's a quicker way to get a "replacement for lost EAD". Hopefully someone who knows can chime in.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi pj,

About the only thing I can offer is that even a renewal EAD card can take around 2 - 3 months to receive, so he won't even get that until close to the interview date. If a company will hire him by showing the photocopy of the EAD, wonderful. It would be a shame to be out of work for a few months while he is eligible to work...I'm not sure if there's a quicker way to get a "replacement for lost EAD". Hopefully someone who knows can chime in.

Best Wishes,
Rene
I should add that it might be a good idea to apply for the EAD renewal anyway, just in case you don't get approved at the interview, he will have it.

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Should we 1) apply for replacement EAD at$175, and/or 2) apply for renewal EAD at another $175, or 3) just wait for the AOS interview and pray and hope for the greencard shortly thereafter?
Wouldn't you rather pay $175 than risk him being unemployable for 6 or more months? He may not find employment immediately, or an employer may want to see the original EAD, or he may have to wait for many months before his AOS is approved... there are always delays, background checks, and any other number of things which could delay approval. Personally, I would pay up and enjoy some peace of mind.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

An employer is required to verify the authenticity of a document and the employee will have to fill-in an I-9 form when hired, which calls for specific documentation. So a xerox copy would not be acceptable

All is not lost, if your husband has a receipt for his I-765 (lost one) he can present that, but must be able to present the real document within 90 days, or, alternatively, if he has, by chance, one item of documentation from List B of the I-9 and one from list C on the I-9, that should be sufficient. (I think a Social Security card, with no notations on it which prohibit work, and a driver's licence, he should be OK for the I-9). Better check the form first..memory fails sometimes.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

pj2cents is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks All For The Feedback!