EAD K1 Visa - JFK

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

peter1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD K1 Visa - JFK

Hi

I have heard stories of people recieving there EAD at JFK when arriving on a K1 Visa. Has anyone in recent weeks had the same experience of receiving a EAD Stamp at JFK ? At my interview in London the consular officer advised me that they had stopped handing out stamps and I would have to wait until work authorisation was approve.

The thought of not being able to work for 5 to 6 months is making me consider entering via JFK before travelling internally to New Hampshire. Welcome your thoughts.

Thanks,
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

jasonabc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: EAD K1 Visa - JFK

A poster on here (UKManColl) went through JFK about three weeks ago and got his EAD stamp in his passport. I don't know if this is still the case with this POE though.

Unless JFK is en route to your final destination there's not much point going out of your way (geographically and financially) just to get the EAD stamp. The stamp you receive is only good for 90 days and you have to file for another EAD anyway when you file for AOS so there will be a significant "gap" in your employment whether you have the stamp or not.

You may find the following K1/EAD advice on VisaJourney helpful: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-enter.html#5.3

cheers

Jason
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter,

In our case, JFK was on our way anyway, and having the temp EAD stamp was some sort of comfort to my husband, like a security blanket. LOL Of course, you still need to wait for your SSN anyway, but if JFK is convenient to your travel plans, last I heard they *are* still giving out the temp EAD stamp.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Rangena will become famous soon enoughRangena will become famous soon enough

My two in-laws arrived from Afghanistan a few weeks ago and both got the EAD stamp through JFK...we did not even expect it to happen so quickly but it did...good luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:34 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peter1966
Hi

I have heard stories of people recieving there EAD at JFK when arriving on a K1 Visa. Has anyone in recent weeks had the same experience of receiving a EAD Stamp at JFK ? At my interview in London the consular officer advised me that they had stopped handing out stamps and I would have to wait until work authorisation was approve.

The thought of not being able to work for 5 to 6 months is making me consider entering via JFK before travelling internally to New Hampshire. Welcome your thoughts.

Thanks,
From what I've seen on various forums and newsgroups, it seems like most K1s get the temp stamp if they enter at JFK. I got one in April without even having to ask for it, the CBP officer just told me to come with him to secondary immigration, which is where they give you the stamp. But unless you already have temporary employment lined up, or you think you can find an employer that will employ you on a short-term basis, then the stamp is nothing but a waste of time.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:34 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peter1966
Hi

Thanks,
It is not an EAD.. It is a temporary employment card. But yeah you can get it at JFK if the officer feels like giving it to you
Good Luck!!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:10 pm
Eric S.

Actually, it is NOT a temporary employment CARD. It is a temporary
employment STAMP in your passport.

- Eric S.

"Hypertweeky" <member13109@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    >> Hi
    >> I have heard stories of people recieving there EAD at JFK when
    >> arriving on a K1 Visa. Has anyone in recent weeks had the same
    >> experience of receiving a EAD Stamp at JFK ? At my interview in
    >> London the consular officer advised me that they had stopped handing
    >> out stamps and I would have to wait until work authorisation was
    >> approve.
    >> The thought of not being able to work for 5 to 6 months is making me
    >> consider entering via JFK before travelling internally to New
    >> Hampshire. Welcome your thoughts.
    >> Thanks,
    > It is not an EAD.. It is a temporary employment card. But yeah you can
    > get it at JFK if the officer feels like giving it to you:)
    > Good Luck!!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:02 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

And it does make the I-94 or the passport - whichever document the stamp is put on - an EAD.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Eric S.
Actually, it is NOT a temporary employment CARD. It is a temporary employment STAMP in your passport.

- Eric S.

"Hypertweeky" <member13109@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > It is not an EAD.. It is a temporary employment card. But yeah you can
    > get it at JFK if the officer feels like giving it to you
    > Good Luck!!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com