Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Declare dual citizenship on G-325A?

Declare dual citizenship on G-325A?

Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Jack Jaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Declare dual citizenship on G-325A?

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are about to file our AOS paperwork (I'm a Aussie living in the US).

My USC wife was previously married to a UK citizen, and she obtained dual citizenship there. On the G-325A it asks her "Citizenship/Nationality" - should she declare that she's dual US/UK or leave it as just US?

Also, on that same form, It askes "This form is submitted in connection with application for:" - What should we check there?

Thanks so much for any help,

Jack
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declare dual citizenship on G-325A?

Originally Posted by Jack Jaff
Also, on that same form, It askes "This form is submitted in connection with application for:" - What should we check there?

Jack
Hi Jack,

This one is "US permanent residency" or "in connection with Form I-485" or "in connection with Form I-130", whichever applies to you.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:00 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are about to file our AOS paperwork (I'm a Aussie living in the US).

My USC wife was previously married to a UK citizen, and she obtained dual citizenship there. On the G-325A it asks her "Citizenship/Nationality" - should she declare that she's dual US/UK or leave it as just US?

Jack

I think it's a safer bet for her to put "US Citizen" under "Citizenship/Nationality". As far as USCIS is concerned, for the sponsor that's the only citizenship that matters.

As for your other question, I don't recall having to fill out my own G325A when my husband filed to adjust status. I know I did for our I-129F petition for his K1 visa, but that's the only time I remember completing that form. I might be wrong, however; I'm sure others will correct me if I am.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I think it's a safer bet for her to put "US Citizen" under "Citizenship/Nationality". As far as USCIS is concerned, for the sponsor that's the only citizenship that matters.

As for your other question, I don't recall having to fill out my own G325A when my husband filed to adjust status. I know I did for our I-129F petition for his K1 visa, but that's the only time I remember completing that form. I might be wrong, however; I'm sure others will correct me if I am.

~ Jenney
If they're doing the whole AOS package, it might include an I-130 which the USC spouse fills in, which also includes a G-325A as backup.

Rene
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone,

Jack
Hi:

No harm, no foul on how she answers -- she is a US citizen. Also, there is case law that a person is considered to be a citizen of the country whose passport they used to enter on.

There is an old precedent decision on "E-2" treaty investors regarding the "nationality" of a company owned by a dual US Italian national. The company operated a business that required governmental permission given only if it was owned by US citizens, but wanted to hire an Italian. It was held that the company was US owned, not Italian owned.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Jack Jaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys...

We'll just indicate her US citizenship.

I think for the "This form is submitted in connection with application for:"
part I'll put "connection with Form I-485" - it seems to be more clear that way.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:20 pm

I think for the "This form is submitted in connection with application for:"
part I'll put "connection with Form I-485" - it seems to be more clear that way.
Well, it depends who the G-325A belongs to. If it's for the USC spouse, it's probably for the I-130, right? The USC spouse doesn't fill one out for the I-485, but the alien does.

Rene
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:41 pm
sgallagher

Jack Jaff wrote:
    > Hey everyone,
    > My wife and I are about to file our AOS paperwork (I'm a Aussie living
    > in the US).
    > My USC wife was previously married to a UK citizen, and she obtained
    > dual citizenship there. On the G-325A it asks her
    > "Citizenship/Nationality" - should she declare that she's dual US/UK or
    > leave it as just US?

The US will only care about the fact that she holds US citizenship.
Any other citizenship she has is immaterial to your AOS.

Unless she is specifically asked if she holds more than one
citizenship, then when dealing with the US, she can simply mention her
US citizenship.

Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Well, it depends who the G-325A belongs to. If it's for the USC spouse, it's probably for the I-130, right? The USC spouse doesn't fill one out for the I-485, but the alien does.

Rene
Hi:

Again, it is a no harm/no foul type of thing. If he leaves it blank, it is obvious what its filed for, no?

The G-325A is an obscelesant form -- its requirement to be filed with the I-130 was imposed in the late 1980's -- and the form really wasn't designed for that purpose.

The G-325A was a general purpose form which was required for MANY different types of applications [e.g. N-400] and it has fallen into general disuse. The I-129F, I-130 [spousal only] and the I-485 are about the only places it is still required. It was also designed for background checks in the days before the universal use of computers.