DCF in Australia

Old Feb 24th 2004, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Nich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DCF in Australia - questions!

Hello everyone,

<-- Sorry, I realize this is my first post, and I'm just a newbie, but I am hoping to find someone who's been through a similar experience to help me wade through all the confusion I seem to find on every U.S. immigration website I look at.

My girlfriend lives in Australia, and we are hoping to marry this summer and live here in the U.S. if we can get it all worked out. We don't want to get married and immediately separate, so we are looking for a way to avoid that. After a couple months of searching, I finally found out about DCF and its advantages. I am planning to travel there in April and stay for 2 months. We would get married while I am there, and try to get her visa through DCF. The only complications I see in our situation are, 1) she doesn't live near Syndey (the only consulate to have the interview at? 2) We'd only be able to travel to Sydney once, preferably on the way back here 3) I will have to technically "quit" my job to go, and while they will likely hire me back when I get home, this won't look good for the affidavit of support. I figure I will need a joint sponsor, and my parents are willing to do so. and 4) Timing.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or help to offer? I have searched many websites and read through the DCF process on www.matesupover.com and the www.kamya.com interview information website. The problem is, I'm afraid of finding out-dated information. Also, we need to buy her a plane ticket (preferrably on my flight - though we'd have to do that soon), but don't know if it is safe to do so before we are sure about the visa. I also don't know how to go about the joint sponsor thing, considering I will be the only one travelling there. I have 2 months till I leave, and 2 months there, is this enough time to complete the process?

Thanks for anyone who can provide information, or particularly personal experiences.

Last edited by Nich; Feb 24th 2004 at 4:25 am.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:49 am
Mubby

Default Re: DCF in Australia

I'm not sure if you know about contacting the Registrar of Births,
Deaths and Marriages in Australia about your intended marriage - you
have to submit an notice of intention to marry, or somesuch at least a
month before the intended date. Your girlfriend should contact a
marriage celebrant now to sort this out (they'll know what to do). My
fiance and I weren't able to marry when we wanted because we didn't know
about this, so now we're in the K1 queue at Nebraska.. Joy!

Anyway, hope this helps

Deb