Wikiposts

CR1 Visa approved!

Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:08 am
Just Joined

FK Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR1 Visa approved!

Just a quick note to say that my CR1 Visa arrived in the mail today!

I had my interview last Friday November 30th.

My wife and I are both very pleased with the timings of the whole process.

The I-130 was mailed on August 29th and the Visa was received today so a quick turnaround of 3 months and 8 days!

If anyone has specific questions let me know, safe to say we are very pleased and will be booking flights later today!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1 Visa approved!

Originally Posted by FK Murphy
Just a quick note to say that my CR1 Visa arrived in the mail today!

I had my interview last Friday November 30th.

My wife and I are both very pleased with the timings of the whole process.

The I-130 was mailed on August 29th and the Visa was received today so a quick turnaround of 3 months and 8 days!

If anyone has specific questions let me know, safe to say we are very pleased and will be booking flights later today!
Congratulations to you both!! I bet you're both so excited to have received the visa and able to start moving forward with all the plans

My wife (USC) and I are hopefully just a couple of months behind you; our I-130 was filed on 09 November. Can you give some info about your interview experience? Just curious what you took with you, what questions you were asked, if it was helpful to have your wife attend with you, what docs they asked for/examined, etc.

Cheers, and congrats again

Rich.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by richbogle84
Congratulations to you both!! I bet you're both so excited to have received the visa and able to start moving forward with all the plans

My wife (USC) and I are hopefully just a couple of months behind you; our I-130 was filed on 09 November. Can you give some info about your interview experience? Just curious what you took with you, what questions you were asked, if it was helpful to have your wife attend with you, what docs they asked for/examined, etc.

Cheers, and congrats again

Rich.
We are very pleased yes!

We arrived at the embassy (for our 10am appointment) at 8:30 ish. After going through security we were sitting in the embasy by 8:50.

We were called to the first window at 11:45 and this was quite straight forward and we were asked for the required forms and documents (plus photocopies where applicable). I then paid and handed the receipt to the same guy. We were then given a courier form and told to take a seat and wait to be called for the interview.

After a short wait (maybe 15-20 minutes) I was called to my interview.
I think it was a good having my wife attend as the interviewer spoke directly with my wife and asked her questions also. The main questions were:

How we met?
About my wife's family?
What my wife plans to do for work? (She is a dual US/UK national who has never worked in the US)
Who we will be living with?

I also handed the DS-230 pt2 (which I signed then) and the I-864, and Tax returns for my wife.

The only minor nervy part was when the official asked about the assets as although we had more than required in cash he did say they would ideally like more cash assets......This wasn't a problem though and shortly after he said it was all approved and to have a nice weekend! The official who interviewed me was really nice and friendly.

We then paid for the courier and went to spend the day in London!

As has been said before on here we had tons of relationship and domicile proof but didn't need it. But each case is different and I would always recommend to be over prepared!

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

So happy that it all worked out for you both, and I'm sure you're relieved it's all sorted. Thanks for taking the time to post on here and to respond to my questions

our 10am appointment.....we were called to the first window at 11:45
That's quite a wait time; you've got me thinking that a book or something will be a good idea!

we were asked for the required forms and documents
I know this may be a really dumb question but can I just ask how many photos you took with you? From what I understand, I need to take one of me (UKC) to the medical exam, and two of me (UKC) to the visa interview....and none are required for my wife (USC).

it was good having my wife attend as the interviewer spoke directly with my wife and asked her questions also
I read a post by someone else on this forum recently suggesting the same thing. With that in mind, I'll try and get my wife to take the day off work and attend the interview with me. How did you inform them that she would be attending too?

The only minor nervy part was when the official asked about the assets as although we had more than required in cash he did say they would ideally like more cash assets
This is quite concerning, because my wife and I plan to go down this exact same route, using savings (household size of 2) rather than an income or joint sponsor. We have a UK account in both names, and a US account in both our names. Did the ConOff suggest a USD figure they were hoping for?

As has been said before on here we had tons of relationship and domicile proof but didn't need it. But each case is different and I would always recommend to be over prepared!
I think you're right; you should see the stack of documents we're mounting in preparation for the interview! HaHa!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:24 am
Just Joined

So happy that it all worked out for you both, and I'm sure you're relieved it's all sorted. Thanks for taking the time to post on here and to respond to my questions

That's quite a wait time; you've got me thinking that a book or something will be a good idea!

I know this may be a really dumb question but can I just ask how many photos you took with you? From what I understand, I need to take one of me (UKC) to the medical exam, and two of me (UKC) to the visa interview....and none are required for my wife (USC).

I read a post by someone else on this forum recently suggesting the same thing. With that in mind, I'll try and get my wife to take the day off work and attend the interview with me. How did you inform them that she would be attending too?

This is quite concerning, because my wife and I plan to go down this exact same route, using savings (household size of 2) rather than an income or joint sponsor. We have a UK account in both names, and a US account in both our names. Did the ConOff suggest a USD figure they were hoping for?

I think you're right; you should see the stack of documents we're mounting in preparation for the interview! HaHa!
You are correct about the photos 1 for the medical and 2 for the interview.

I emailed to ask about the interview date and asked about my wife attending then. On the day they checked a list outside and all was fine.

On the assets, he said ideally an extra $20,000 over what we had which was around $65,000. Although it wasn't a big issue for us it is something to think about depending on your circumstances and if you are able to have a joint sponsor maybe that is an idea just to cover all bases?

Oh and a book maybe an idea!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much mate, this has all been really useful to hear

On the assets, he said ideally an extra $20,000 over what we had which was around $65,000
We're just planning to complete the I-864 Affidavit of Support using the dollars in my wife's US account (we'll include bank statements for this) alongside the pounds in my UK account (we'll include bank statements for this too), converted as a simple rate of 1.60. I have also printed a page from xe. com to illustrate why we used that rate in case the numbers are questioned at the interview.

For clarity; both our names are on both UK and US accounts. Both names will appear on both sets of bank statements provided in support of the I-864.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:51 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It's understandable that they might like to see more in the way of cash assets, but what they would like does not change what the law tells them is acceptable.

Non-cash assets are another story, the determination as to whether or not non-cash assets meet the requirements of the law requires some discretion. People who are depending on non-cash assets need to understand this.

Congratulations on receiving the visa.

Regards, JEff

The only minor nervy part was when the official asked about the assets as although we had more than required in cash he did say they would ideally like more cash assets......

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 7th 2012 at 3:57 am.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
It's understandable that they might like to see more in the way of cash assets, but what they would like does not change what the law tells them is acceptable.
Thanks for your response JEff.

This suggests we should be fine taking the same approach as FK Murphy, relying on savings without setting up a joint sponsor

Cheers,

Rich.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

Non-cash assets are another story, the determination as to whether or not non-cash assets meet the requirements of the law requires some discretion. People who are depending on non-cash assets need to understand this.

Congratulations on receiving the visa.

Regards, JEff
Thank you!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

This suggests we should be fine taking the same approach as FK Murphy, relying on savings without setting up a joint sponsor
Not necessarily.

Jeff's point was that if you have sufficient cash assets to qualify then that is all that you need because then you have met the requirements.

If you are relying on some non-cash assets then you may encounter some issues because questions of valuation and liquidity will come up.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a joint sponsor provided that they have sufficient assets so, if there is any question about whether or not your own assets will be sufficient it would be a good idea to have a joint sponsor lined up.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 5:22 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

A joint sponsor does not need assets any more than a sponsor does. The ideal is to have sufficient income, in which case no assets are needed. Assets become necessary only if income is insufficient.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by md95065
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a joint sponsor provided that they have sufficient assets ...
Old Dec 9th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
Not necessarily.

Jeff's point was that if you have sufficient cash assets to qualify then that is all that you need because then you have met the requirements.

If you are relying on some non-cash assets then you may encounter some issues because questions of valuation and liquidity will come up.
Thanks MD, but as mentioned above we will be using cash savings evidenced using statements from UK and US bank accounts; the accounts show both my name and my wife's name.

With that in mind, valuation and liquidity shouldn't become issues at the interview here in London, since we have cash assets above the requirements.

Rich.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Mate,

Not sure if you've actually moved yet, but if so I was wondering what your experience was like at Point of Entry in America? What was the process you had to go through, any questions asked, any supporting documentation required, etc?

Hopefully my wife and I will be making moves in the not-too-distant future; just waiting for a CR1 interview date

Many Thanks,

Rich.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

Hi Mate,

Not sure if you've actually moved yet, but if so I was wondering what your experience was like at Point of Entry in America? What was the process you had to go through, any questions asked, any supporting documentation required, etc?

Hopefully my wife and I will be making moves in the not-too-distant future; just waiting for a CR1 interview date

Many Thanks,

Rich.
I'm waiting for the interview too after having the medical info sent to the embassy about two weeks ago.

I know it's daft, but not having confirmation of them receiving the forms (Ds-230 and the other one) is a little unsettling, have you sought to contact them and ensure everything is as it should be?
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris197337
I'm waiting for the interview too after having the medical info sent to the embassy about two weeks ago.

I know it's daft, but not having confirmation of them receiving the forms (Ds-230 and the other one) is a little unsettling, have you sought to contact them and ensure everything is as it should be?
Hi Chris,

I called the clinic this morning; they confirmed that my medical results were all fine, and that the embassy received the report last week. I sent my DS-230 and DS-2001 forms via Royal Mail next day recorded delivery. The tracking information provided by Royal Mail means I can be sure they have received the documentation I sent.

This is as much confirmation as I can get at this point, that everything is in order. Unfortunately, all I can do now is await a letter from the Immigrant Visa Unit, inviting me to an interview for my CR1 visa

That said, I'd be keen to hear any updates on your situation.

Kind Regards,

Rich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.