Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR1 Interview today - Suspended :(

Wikiposts

CR1 Interview today - Suspended :(

Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:24 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1 Interview today - Suspended :(

I'm still in shock, but a little bit calmer now.

We've managed to purchase some insurance online - it looks pretty good, Its with www.buyamericaninsurance.com The Patriot America scheme. The policy document doesn't list each person, so we have had to take out three policies - mine has come to $392.60 for 5 months coverage, $500,000 benefit with a $250 annual deductible and 80/20 co pay. It includes lots of extras as well. The kids policies were $295 each for the same benefits.

The site has let me print out the full policy document, a covering letter for the visa explaining the cover and with all the policy numbers / deductibles on, along with a medical ID card. Hopefully this will fulfill their needs.

Based on what has happened today, and what you've described toonyank, I would grab some medical insurance to be on the safe side - in hindsight, and I should have realised this myself (its something we'd discussed but never got round to doing) we should have had it set up anyway with us not having jobs to go to.

Like Rene says - If you don't have a joint sponsor I would grab one of those as well, it really does seem like London are really tightening up at the moment, I think this whole recession / credit crunch is scaring everyone.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
I'm still in shock, but a little bit calmer now.

We've managed to purchase some insurance online - it looks pretty good, Its with www.buyamericaninsurance.com The Patriot America scheme. The policy document doesn't list each person, so we have had to take out three policies - mine has come to $392.60 for 5 months coverage, $500,000 benefit with a $250 annual deductible and 80/20 co pay. It includes lots of extras as well. The kids policies were $295 each for the same benefits.

The site has let me print out the full policy document, a covering letter for the visa explaining the cover and with all the policy numbers / deductibles on, along with a medical ID card. Hopefully this will fulfill their needs.

Based on what has happened today, and what you've described toonyank, I would grab some medical insurance to be on the safe side - in hindsight, and I should have realised this myself (its something we'd discussed but never got round to doing) we should have had it set up anyway with us not having jobs to go to.

Like Rene says - If you don't have a joint sponsor I would grab one of those as well, it really does seem like London are really tightening up at the moment, I think this whole recession / credit crunch is scaring everyone.
I find the joint sponsor thing really crazy. If hubby and his kids are USCs they aren't considered in the household size for the joint sponsor I don't believe - just mom and dad and you and two kids = 5 as I figure it. I really don't get it.

Sorry you're having this problem.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I find the joint sponsor thing really crazy. If hubby and his kids are USCs they aren't considered in the household size for the joint sponsor I don't believe - just mom and dad and you and two kids = 5 as I figure it. I really don't get it.

Sorry you're having this problem.
That's right. The USC Hubby's household size would be 8.

The joint sponsor's household size would be 5.

Maybe if the joint sponsor listed 10 people, that threw the ConOff off just enough to say what? Get another one!

Rene
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... one policy for the three of us is $825 - thats for $1m of cover, with a $250 deductible and 80/20.
Here's a thought... you only need coverage for a short period of time... it's not like you need it for a whole year or something, so you can probably get a pro rata refund on the unused portion!

Ian
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:16 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - This is where it gets really confusing....

The Initial I864's were filled out like this :

Hubby (petitioner) Main sponsor - zero income, household size of 8, (4 USC kids who live with mothers, me, 2 UKC kids, and USC hubby) with our combined assets of $250k

MIL - Joint sponsor - household income of $62k including FIL. - household size filled in as 5. (inlaws + me + 2kids)

Hubbys mailing address is MIL's address, Residential Address is the house we rent. His tax transcripts we sent in show our rental address on them.

We then get RFE from NVC asking for MIL to fill in I864a as household member... ???

So we email NVC asking them to double check, explain mailing address and residency are different etc etc.

They say no, we need it.

So we send what they have asked for, along with a letter saying it must be a mistake, with evidence that hubby + mum are in different households. (voting cards, bills, copy of driving licence etc)

Then today they say Household size needs to be 10. MIL & FIL need to cover themselves + our household of 8.

And the thing I don't understand is even with all that confusion - no matter which way you look at it, wether its a household size of 5 or 10, MIL Still meets the 125% minimum!!

I have no clue. It seems that without inviting them round to our house for christmas eve and then round to his mums for christmas dinner so they can see where everyone lives, there is no movement on what they want us to show.

I'm normally a fighter but on this one i'm rolling over and hoping for the best when the extra joint sponsor information comes through. One thing is for sure though, if we jump through the latest set of hoops and it still isnt enough, we'll be putting in a call to hubbys congressman

As far as the insurance goes..... the policy we've got, we can get a pro rata refund on, so hopefully one or both of us will get a job PDQ!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

And before people go in anticipating what new obstacle the CO is going to throw up: Don't panic!
You shouldn't be booked to travel tooooo awfully close to your interview date, and a short delay after the interview is no crime. You're not penalized for not 'getting it' the first day, and no one here will mock you.

There is nothing wrong with getting a 221(g) for something that no one else has reported. One or two reports don't necessarily indicate a trend, but don't go overboard.
As for Joint Sponsor docs, I always recommend having one in your back pocket, especially DCFers. That is, if you want to get in/out in one visit.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Then today they say Household size needs to be 10. MIL & FIL need to cover themselves + our household of 8.

And the thing I don't understand is even with all that confusion - no matter which way you look at it, wether its a household size of 5 or 10, MIL Still meets the 125% minimum!!
This is just wrong, the way you've reported it.
You've got a solution, that will get the job done, and kudos to you for letting go of the fight.

Why don't you visit the Congressman's website today, fill in the privacy release form and submit it along with a brief history of the issues--get that person on call so that if you do have a further prob, they can contact the Consulate *immediately*. These things take a couple of days to get rolling.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:29 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

oh that sucks Vicki - hope you can get it sorted asap!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:35 am
Dizzy Blonde

I've just drafted my covering letter to send in with all this additional information they have asked for - I'd be really grateful for some opinons on it......

Is it best done in private or on the thread (with names changed to protect the innocent)?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I've just drafted my covering letter to send in with all this additional information they have asked for - I'd be really grateful for some opinons on it......

Is it best done in private or on the thread (with names changed to protect the innocent)?
I can't see why it would be a problem, without names. I'd think whatever you're comfortable with.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:02 pm
Dizzy Blonde

Thanks Tracy....

OK, here it is - its only a first draft, so constructive critisism is appreciated.... I know its a bit 'wordy' but I wanted to get my point across to them that we DO meet the requirements and have provided everything they have asked for.

(I've changed the names, because putting XXX's in their places made no sense!)

Dear Sirs

Case Reference Numbers : LNDXXXXXXX – Ethel
LNDXXXXXXX – Albert
LNDXXXXXXX – Godfrey

Further to my Immigrant Visa Interview on Tuesday 25th November (ticket number xxxx), where my application was suspended under section 221(g) of the immigration and nationality act, please find enclosed the documents you requested.

During my interview I was told that despite our Joint Sponsor (nora)’s income being $60k+ on her tax returns, due to the size of our total number of dependants (which includes 3 children who do not reside with us, for whom we pay child support) we needed to obtain a second joint sponsor, and the requirements could be met by the immigrant children, Albert and Godfrey being sponsored by the additional sponsor, thereby reducing nora’s household size from 10 people to 8 people.

Therefore, my Brother in Law, Bert, has completed the I864, and his wife Mary has completed the I864a as household member to become the joint sponsor for Albert and Godfrey. This now reduces the burden on Nora to 8 people. Under the poverty guidelines in document I864p, the figure for 8 people is $44,500 which Nora comfortably meets.

Enclosed, in respect of sponsorship, are the following Documents:

For Sponsorship of Albert & Godfrey:
I864 from Bert
Tax Returns from Bert
W2’s from Bert
Copy of birth certificate from Bert
I864a from Mary as household member.

Bert and Mary’s household size becomes 6 by sponsoring Albert and Godfrey, for which the poverty guidelines indicate a figure of $35,500. Their household income of $54,000 is in excess of the poverty guidelines.

Additional evidence for sponsorship of Ethel
I864a From Bill (father in law) for use with I864 from Nora.

Also enclosed, as discussed with the Consular Officer at the time of my interview – documentation verifying the purchase of Medical Insurance for Ethel, Albert and Godfrey. The request by the consular officer was that the insurance was for a 3 month period, however we have purchased 5 months cover, prepaid as a demonstration of good intent and organisation. The documents enclosed show the insurance certificatation and a full copy of the policy.

I trust that the enclosed documents meet with your requirements and we look forward to bringing our case to a positive conclusion.

If you do have any questions or queries I would be very grateful if you could contact me on (phone number) to discuss these in person so that any additional information can be provided to you as swiftly as possible.

Yours with love and kisses etc etc
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well I'm no expert, but it sounds terrific to me.

Very organised and polite.

Dunno about that love and kisses bit
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

One type: Certification

Change contact me on to contact me at

Concise, factual and inclusive.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:17 am
Just Joined

klaney2006 will become famous soon enoughklaney2006 will become famous soon enough

I'm so sorry hun that your going through this hun. I'm going through a similar thing. Don't give up you have made it this far. I'm here if you need to rant and rage.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:59 pm
Dizzy Blonde

Ack... 3am and now i'm sat here wondering if everything that is sat here waiting for the courier to collect tomorrow is OK!!

I'll be glad when this is all over!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.