Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR1 Interview today - Suspended :(

Wikiposts

CR1 Interview today - Suspended :(

Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:48 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default CR1 Interview today - Suspended :(

We've just got back from London after our CR1 (me) and CR2 (2 kids) visa interview this morning.

I took my notebook and pen with me and made notes all the way through with the intention of writing a detailed report as others have done, because I found theirs so helpful.

But to be honest, right now all I want to do is put my head under the covers and not come out for a week.

So I'll cut to the chase - everything went fine until the interview with the CO. As soon as I got to the window there was a blue form out, which I didn't know what was for, but soon became apparant.

Quick history for you - Hubby USC, Me and kids UKC. Hubby has been backwards and forwards from the US - UK with me so we can stay together and has not been able to work. I have worked, we have assets which we were told by our (ex) Laywer would suffice for the Affidavit of support. I however, being little miss cautious, insisted we had a joint sponsor, and his mom obliged, also his father as household member, giving us a joint sponsors household income of $62k.(shown on 2007 tax return, and 71k and 69k on 2 previous years) Our assets (including property, which I know they are being funny about right now which is why I wanted a joint sponsor from the start) total $250k.

So, me & 2 kids immigrating... hubby has 4 children from his previous marriage, which we understood had to be included in the house despite them not living with us (we pay child support for them) - so, as instructed by the NVC, our joint sponsor actually had to be responsible for 10, yes, 10 people. on the I864p document, 8 people is $44,500 - plus the extra 2 people at $4,500 each - a grand total of........... $53,500.

But, the CO today, requested we get a joint sponsor for at least one of us, preferably two of us...... despite our Joint sponsor having an income above the guidelines.

Luckily as soon as I came out of the embassy (a wreck) my husband called his mom... at 6am () and she rang his brothers and sisters and got them out of bed to find out who could meet the criteria - his brother and his wife did and said yes with out hesitating.

Not only that but they requested show prepaid, intended immigrant medical insurance. That totally threw me because I've not seen anything like that mentioned before by anyone. Dont get me wrong, I understand why - we will both be looking for jobs when we get there so we need that coverage, I just wish I'd known about it beforehand then I could have got it sorted out.

Sorry for rambling - I'm in shock right now as I thought we had everything we needed. It might not be much use to anyone, but even if someone else reads this and gets something useful out of it then thats good.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1 Interview today - Suspended :(

Originally Posted by clarissageo
So, me & 2 kids immigrating... hubby has 4 children from his previous marriage, which we understood had to be included in the house despite them not living with us (we pay child support for them) - so, as instructed by the NVC, our joint sponsor actually had to be responsible for 10, yes, 10 people. on the I864p document, 8 people is $44,500 - plus the extra 2 people at $4,500 each - a grand total of........... $53,500.

But, the CO today, requested we get a joint sponsor for at least one of us, preferably two of us...... despite our Joint sponsor having an income above the guidelines.
I know you are trying to fight city hall, and probably won't win, but I really don't understand how they can require another sponsor when your sponsor already meets the income requirements. I wonder if there's any way to fight this, or if it's easier to just to give the damn dictators what they want?

Clarissa, just breathe, hon, and tell yourself: "this is merely a bump in the road. We will survive this."
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Clarissa, I'm sorry to hear of your problems, but thank you for posting this! It goes along with what we've been seeing...London IS getting a lot pickier!

Can you remind us quickly if you did DCF or if your husband filed the I-130 in the USA?

I understand their thinking in wanting you to prove medical insurance (so you won't become a public charge), but I think that's a little extreme myself. You've already got a joint sponsor who qualifies, plus asking for another one! And on top of that, medical insurance as well? Sheesh!

Keep us posted,
Rene
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:08 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine what they are going on about. You have a joint sponsor for the lot of you why do you need a second joint sponsor on top of the first? And this thing about medical insurance. Never ever heard this from the Consulate before. I fully realize that they have the ability to make their own demands but that is over and above the norm. In fact, I don't think you will be able to find an insurance company willing to insure you without you first being here in the US.

Honey is there anyway in god's green acres that your husband can come here ahead of you, set up house, and get a job with insurance and fulfill this arbitary mandate from the CO?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Aww clarissa, I'm sorry for your less than exciting appointment. And the frustrations that have come with it!

This is the second time in a week that health insurance has been requested, IIRC. A quick google shows that 'intended immigrant medical insurance' is something different than I initially thought.. looks like hyper travel insurance that you can get for up to 12 months.
Let us know if you need extra searching brains on the job.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:14 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Phew, Meaxuna, thank you for clarifying about the insurance. A big big difference than having to have say an effective Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:16 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou both for the supportive responses... It makes me feel better that its not just me that is freaked out by their request.

We filed the I130 in the USA, the day after we got married, We knew that when we made the choice to stay together through hell or high water that we were going to be living on one income, but by our assets and the joint sponsor we also expected to meet the requirements.

I understand them wanting the medical insurance to a certain extent, we're looking at it at the moment and the intended immigrant insurance also covers things like emergency trips home, return of remains to home country etc, but I'm just so frustrated that nothing has been mentioned in any of the paperwork before.

Not only that, but we had an RFE from the NVC when we filed the I864, and I wrote to them and called them to ask if there was anything else at all they needed from us.. yet they said no.

Its thanks to this forum and the people in it that I've got as far as I have with all of this, taking tips from others and (trying) to make sure I've covered all bases, so if even just one person grabs some medical insurance before their interview and can produce it when asked and save themselves the crappy feeling thats in our house right now, then at least something good will have come of this.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:17 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

When I got to my interview (Jan 08), the officer told me my husband didn't meet the threshold for support, and we had to find a joint sponser in less than two weeks. Similar to you, Clarissa, I then called my OH in the USA and had him wake his parents up (it was 3am over there, ha!) to send over the relevant stuff. It was SUCH a palaver and panicked me no end.

I think what annoyed me the most was the fact no-one had told us earlier. If we'd KNOWN we needed another sponsor we'd have filed everything sooner. As it was, we thought my OH earned enough alone to meet the threshold, so didn't bother. It turned out that he needed to have been earning that amount for the past three years - which he hadn't because for the previous two he'd been a student. They were only interested in past tax returns, so we had to ask his parents.

I share your pain and frustration and I sympathise! That's truly rotten . Just remember though... this too shall pass.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:02 am
Dizzy Blonde

Originally Posted by Rete
Honey is there anyway in god's green acres that your husband can come here ahead of you, set up house, and get a job with insurance and fulfill this arbitary mandate from the CO?
He could go on ahead..... we already have a house over there (rent already paid for 12 months and money in an account for 12 months of bills), We've got the additional sponsor information being fed-ex'd to us, and we're just looking online at the intended immigrant insurance, so hopefully he can stay.

I think we've found a policy that will fit what they want - its with patriot america - the only thing is, if we all go on one policy the 'visa letter' they provide only shows my name, but if we go on seperate ones we get one each.. in typical style its more expensive for 3 separate policies than it is for one each ...... one policy for the three of us is $825 - thats for $1m of cover, with a $250 deductible and 80/20. To get 3 seperate ones is about $300 more... but I would have thought that as long as all three of us are showing on the actual policy we should be OK with just one for the three of us.

arrrghhh! head is spinning!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:13 am
Concierge

I would think a master family policy which covers all three of you should be perfect and that individual policies not a requirement. As long as the policy reflects who it covers, it should be fine (I hope xfingers and toes)
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

He could go on ahead..... we already have a house over there (rent already paid for 12 months and money in an account for 12 months of bills),
Out of curiosity.. did the CO have this information?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

LondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura about

We've just got back from London after our CR1 (me) and CR2 (2 kids) visa interview this morning.

I took my notebook and pen with me and made notes all the way through with the intention of writing a detailed report as others have done, because I found theirs so helpful.

But to be honest, right now all I want to do is put my head under the covers and not come out for a week.

So I'll cut to the chase - everything went fine until the interview with the CO. As soon as I got to the window there was a blue form out, which I didn't know what was for, but soon became apparant.

Quick history for you - Hubby USC, Me and kids UKC. Hubby has been backwards and forwards from the US - UK with me so we can stay together and has not been able to work. I have worked, we have assets which we were told by our (ex) Laywer would suffice for the Affidavit of support. I however, being little miss cautious, insisted we had a joint sponsor, and his mom obliged, also his father as household member, giving us a joint sponsors household income of $62k.(shown on 2007 tax return, and 71k and 69k on 2 previous years) Our assets (including property, which I know they are being funny about right now which is why I wanted a joint sponsor from the start) total $250k.

Luckily as soon as I came out of the embassy (a wreck) my husband called his mom... at 6am () and she rang his brothers and sisters and got them out of bed to find out who could meet the criteria - his brother and his wife did and said yes with out hesitating.

Not only that but they requested show prepaid, intended immigrant medical insurance. That totally threw me because I've not seen anything like that mentioned before by anyone. Dont get me wrong, I understand why - we will both be looking for jobs when we get there so we need that coverage, I just wish I'd known about it beforehand then I could have got it sorted out.

Sorry for rambling - I'm in shock right now as I thought we had everything we needed. It might not be much use to anyone, but even if someone else reads this and gets something useful out of it then thats good.
I feel for you so much! I was in the same position two weeks ago and received that dreaded blue form. I felt sick for days, as I had done so much to make sure we had covered every possible issue. I've posted an entry about the courier service and asked what happens once you return your documents via them. It might interest you as I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:52 am
Dizzy Blonde

Originally Posted by meauxna
Out of curiosity.. did the CO have this information?
He didn't, no. He asked me what we were going to do for housing and I explained to him that whilst we were over there from June - August for the school holidays on a fact finding mission we found the perfect house and were renting that, but he very swiftly moved on. I realised shortly afterwards that maybe I should have been more firm and explained things in more detail with him, but I was so shellshocked I just got struck dumb......... hubby actually went to the US citizens side of the entrance and asked to be let in to request they look at it again, but was pretty much told to go forth and multiply!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Toonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to all

Hi

I need to read this all through carefully. I have my interview on 8th Dec. (13 days away!) Situation is: hubby USC and we've been living in the UK for 11 years and married for 19. We don't have jobs to go to although I am trying desperately to get one through my current employer IBM. We have two kids too. We have approx £40,000 in cash. I wonder if I will need to prove that I have pre-arranged medical insurance too?

Clarrisa, thanks so much for sharing, I am really sorry to hear about your situation though - you must be devastated right now when you have been so prepared. I am even getting my MMR sorted out at the GPs because of one of these posts in the last few days.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toonyank
I need to read this all through carefully. I have my interview on 8th Dec. (13 days away!) Situation is: hubby USC and we've been living in the UK for 11 years and married for 19. We don't have jobs to go to although I am trying desperately to get one through my current employer IBM. We have two kids too. We have approx £40,000 in cash.
I am not sure that will be enough in cash. I just did a quick currency conversion, and that seems to be around $61,903 in USD.

A family of 4 needs to earn $26,500 in income, or if assets are used (i.e., cash) they have to equal 3 x that amount.

$26,500 x 3 = $79,500.

To my layman's eye, you seem to be almost $20,000 short of the amount of cash you would need to use as an asset.

You might want to have a joint sponsor lined up, just in case!

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.