Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Court/Lawyer tell me I have to choose between adopting my grandson or Foreign Fiance

Court/Lawyer tell me I have to choose between adopting my grandson or Foreign Fiance

Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:05 am
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Court/Lawyer tell me I have to choose between adopting my grandson

Hi,

I am just really shocked when I read your story. I think the people you are dealing with indeed are racist. Why aren't they willing to dig into the paperwork, inform themselves, reasearch, consult the BCIS, the embassies etc. and do what you are doing right now? Is it because they are incompetent or just because they are lazy?
I mean, I would understand if there was ABSOLUTELY no way to have both your fiancee and your child in the same house. But the way you describe it, it seems like their reasoning is based purely on prejudice and not on facts and knowledge. Maybe not even on laws. What kind of court is that??

And of course, if it was really no other way, I would have to choose the child, but man this whole thing just sounds rotten all over... I REALLY hope it works out for you.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Seham
Hi lairdside, thanks once again. You really have been so very helpful. I will definitely keep you in mind and the information you have provided.

Well, I am off to court and just can't tell you how nervous I really am, but I will prevail no matter what the decision. My grandson will be with me ALWAYS!

I'll write later to give you all an update. Thanks for everything!

Seham
Any update? How did the court rule?
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Seham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sphyrapicus
Any update? How did the court rule?
Hi sphyrapicus, Thanks so much for your concern and for asking about the Court Hearing.

Update on Court:

I did receive Legal Permanent Guardianship and the parents rights were terminated, but they still refused me Adoption Rights. Why? Because of my Fiance. This is all they had to use against me in court, the only thing ever mentioned throughout the whole hearing for me not to receive Adoption Rights. Like Marjeta said, If they would get off of their freakin' butts and are that concerned about someone that is not even here or feel that could be a threat to my grandson, then maybe they would not have these concerns.

Lairdside left me some valuable information concerning the SRS about doing an International back ground check on my Fiance. I did my research on this and found out that they could have done this, but they did not look into it soon enough. They said they knew nothing of it until I mentioned it. Now, SRS is out of the picture, but the Asssistant County Attorney and the courts still made it Mandatory that the CASA worker keeps coming into my home and observing Dawson and I. Even though she has told me many times she knows he is in a safe and loving home. She even told this to my lawyer and told him she did not feel she needed to come into the home anymore, but yet, when she was confronted in court about it from my lawyer, she made no comment, so that is when they decided to keep sending her into my home. I know the only reason they are doing this is because of my fiance, BUT............. GUESS WHAT PEOPLE?

I have filed an Incident Report on Discrimination through the Council on American Islamic Relations Civil Rights through Washington (CAIR) and they are now looking into the case. Thank you, SanBernardino and Leslie, for this very valuable information. I am praying that I will hear back from them soon and justice will be served.

These people have my Fiance's Phone number, address, birth certificate, Alien Registration Number, BUT YET, DID NOTHING TO FIND ANYTHING OUT ABOUT HIM. The Court Assigned Attorney to my Grandson's Father is the one that had the most to say about my fiance in court. After court, I found out by the Paternal Grandmother they were asking her questions about my Fiance in which SHE Knows nothing about because we have only spoken Two different times through this whole 1 and 1/2 years ordeal. This is the same man that can defend a WORTHLESS PIECE OF ****, but yet has so much to say about someone he doesn't even know.

If I felt that my Fiance was any kind of threat to my Grandson, you could be sure I would not have ANYTHING to do with him and if he ever does make me feel that way once he is here, there is always that one way ticket back home. But.........I am not at all one least bit worried about him. We have been together, well communicating by phone and every other means for almost 4 years now in March. We have spent time together and we were both so very happy and comfortable with each other. I have been divorced for 18 years now. I could have been married at least three times in between, but I have been so gosh darn picky about the men I date and if they do not meet up to my expectations, then they might as well forget it.

They have just messed around with me way to long and it is time to stand up and fight. Why? Because THEY ARE SOOOOO WRONG!

Thank you everyone that has helped me through this. All of you have been so very helpful that I just can't explain in words what you really have done for me.

Thank you, thank you so very much!

Seham

I will be sure to get back with you and let you know what CAIR has decided. If they take this case all of the way and with this being such a small town, I just may have to move, but if that is the way these people are, then I don't belong here anyway even though I have lived here for 18 years and a very respectful Teacher in my community.

Take care everyone~!
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Marjeta
Hi,

I am just really shocked when I read your story. I think the people you are dealing with indeed are racist. Why aren't they willing to dig into the paperwork, inform themselves, reasearch, consult the BCIS, the embassies etc. and do what you are doing right now? Is it because they are incompetent or just because they are lazy?
I mean, I would understand if there was ABSOLUTELY no way to have both your fiancee and your child in the same house. But the way you describe it, it seems like their reasoning is based purely on prejudice and not on facts and knowledge. Maybe not even on laws. What kind of court is that??

And of course, if it was really no other way, I would have to choose the child, but man this whole thing just sounds rotten all over... I REALLY hope it works out for you.
Hi Marjeta,

Thank you so much for your understanding and your support. It really has been such a long rough road, but hopefully something will be done soon.

I do miss my fiance so much and I am going to go ahead and follow through with his papers. Maybe if he was here, they might at least have a chance to get to know him and then make judgement if need be.

Again, I do thank you so much for your response and I will do my best to keep everyone updated as time moves on.

Seham
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:30 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Seham,

I am fascinated by your situation and impressed by your courage. Are you now planning to proceed with the K1 petition or have you already started the process?

Leslie
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Leslie66
Seham,

I am fascinated by your situation and impressed by your courage. Are you now planning to proceed with the K1 petition or have you already started the process?

Leslie
Hi Leslie,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I am now proceeding with the K1 Petition. I can't wait until I get it all done. It sometimes is very confusing with all of the information out there to exactly what they want and how they exactly want it organized, but I am so ready and determined now. I really miss him so much and can't wait to be with him again, hopefully, forever this time.

Thank you so much for caring and for everything you have done to help me along. All of you have been so good and I truly am grateful.

Thanks so much!

Seham
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:41 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It's good you found this site BEFORE you actually started the petitioning. Got to the FAQ's at the top of this page and set aside a good day or two to read everything there, it covers almost every minute detail. Then when you start constructing your petition, come back and ask specific questions if something is still unclear. You'll be amazed how helpful people here are.

Keep us posted.

Leslie

Originally posted by Seham
Hi Leslie,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I am now proceeding with the K1 Petition. I can't wait until I get it all done. It sometimes is very confusing with all of the information out there to exactly what they want and how they exactly want it organized, but I am so ready and determined now. I really miss him so much and can't wait to be with him again, hopefully, forever this time.

Thank you so much for caring and for everything you have done to help me along. All of you have been so good and I truly am grateful.

Thanks so much!

Seham
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Leslie66
It's good you found this site BEFORE you actually started the petitioning. Got to the FAQ's at the top of this page and set aside a good day or two to read everything there, it covers almost every minute detail. Then when you start constructing your petition, come back and ask specific questions if something is still unclear. You'll be amazed how helpful people here are.

Keep us posted.

Thanks Leslie, I will. You really have been great! You can be sure I will be back and keep you updated, I am so anxious now to get everything going and I feel I have so much more confidence. I just can't believe I let them bring me down so far to begin with.

Thanks again for everything!

Seham

Leslie
Old Feb 8th 2004, 6:56 am
WTF?

You're welcome but I don't think I did anything, other than perhaps offer you a different perspective. If that helped you in any way, I'm very pleased. I've been the victim of circular thinking before. Sometimes it only takes a word or a phrase to completely open you up to a different thought pattern.

The collective consciousness is neither collected nor conscious. Adhering to one set of beliefs, simply because it is the one in your face at the moment, is dangerous and defeatist. But, you already knew that, that's what led you to a place where your questions would be answered with more questions. Now you can arm yourself with the answers.

Good luck.

Leslie

Originally posted by Seham Thanks Leslie, I will. You really have been great! You can be sure I will be back and keep you updated, I am so anxious now to get everything going and I feel I have so much more confidence. I just can't believe I let them bring me down so far to begin with.

Thanks again for everything!

Seham

Leslie