Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Court/Lawyer tell me I have to choose between adopting my grandson or Foreign Fiance

Wikiposts

Court/Lawyer tell me I have to choose between adopting my grandson or Foreign Fiance

Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Seham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Court/Lawyer tell me I have to choose between adopting my grandson

Originally posted by Seham
Thank you both for your opinions and suggestions. Leslie, thank you for the information about the Muslim group. I will be sure to check into it.

This last court date, I was supposedly suppose to get Adoption Rights for my grandson, the CASA worker and the SRS case worker were also thinking the same, even though it was the CASA worker that told me he was a TERRORIST and wouldn't even listen to what I had to say to her about him. She knew nothing of this man. She is the one that brought it up to the Assistant County Attorney. I have given them his name, phone number, address and whatever else I could give them so that they could contact him, but they have not. Right after court, when I realized they were not giving me Adoption Rights, I called the District County Attorney over to ask her why. Actually it was the SRS worker that asked her when I would be able to get Adoption Rights.

NOW PLEASE, hear me out. This is exactly what was said. She said, "I'm not." I asked her why. She said, "She was not going to discuss it with me," and started walking away. Now all of this was done in front of the judge. I said, "What do you mean you are not going to discuss it with me? This is my Grandchild. I have a right to know." She kept walking away and I said "I demand to know why you are refusing me Adoption Rights!!!" she told me she would discuss it with me in the other room.......................cont.
She got me in there with my CASA worker and the SRS case worker and she told me, "I will be honest with you, I am concerned about this guy you are communicating with." I said what about him, you don't even know him, he is not even here why should this concern me getting adoption rights? She said there is no way we can do a back ground check on him. I told her he has to go through security checks and so forth before he would ever be allowed to come over, what if I gave you all of these official documents? She replied, "How will I know they are official?" The CASA worker asked, what if he does come over, can we do a check then? DA says, why, there will be nothing on him anyway because he is not from our country. I asked what if he comes over anyway, what will happen then? Her reply, there are plenty adoption homes out there just waiting to adopt someone like my Grandson.

NO checks had been done, no research, no questions, NO calls to him, NO NOTHING to find anything out about my Fiance, but yet she still threatened me.

You read the letter from my Lawyer correct???? This was copied and pasted from his original e-mail. He KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT MY FIANCE, but yet suggest I call off the relationship.

YES, MY CASA DID CALL HIM A TERRORIST, WOULD NOT LISTEN TO WHAT I HAD TO SAY ABOUT HIM, NEVER ASKED ME ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT HIM. When I did try to tell her she would just cut in and say Seham, Terrorist have such a way of lying and manipulating people. They will do and say anything you want them to hear. This is all she could say to me. I cornered her in from of my SRS worker and She tried to deny she even said those things, but she called my SRS worker that day and told her about it. These are the true words from the SRS worker. She even told me that yes, there was some prejudice going on and she did not feel it was right.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

She got me in there with my CASA worker and the SRS case worker and she told me, "I will be honest with you, I am concerned about this guy you are communicating with." I said what about him, you don't even know him, he is not even here why should this concern me getting adoption rights? She said there is no way we can do a back ground check on him. I told her he has to go through security checks and so forth before he would ever be allowed to come over, what if I gave you all of these official documents? She replied, "How will I know they are official?" The CASA worker asked, what if he does come over, can we do a check then? DA says, why, there will be nothing on him anyway because he is not from our country. I asked what if he comes over anyway, what will happen then? Her reply, there are plenty adoption homes out there just waiting to adopt someone like my Grandson.

NO checks had been done, no research, no questions, NO calls to him, NO NOTHING to find anything out about my Fiance, but yet she still threatened me.

You read the letter from my Lawyer correct???? This was copied and pasted from his original e-mail. He KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT MY FIANCE, but yet suggest I call off the relationship.

YES, MY CASA DID CALL HIM A TERRORIST, WOULD NOT LISTEN TO WHAT I HAD TO SAY ABOUT HIM, NEVER ASKED ME ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT HIM. When I did try to tell her she would just cut in and say Seham, Terrorist have such a way of lying and manipulating people. They will do and say anything you want them to hear. This is all she could say to me. I cornered her in from of my SRS worker and She tried to deny she even said those things, but she called my SRS worker that day and told her about it. These are the true words from the SRS worker. She even told me that yes, there was some prejudice going on and she did not feel it was right.
Sorry about all of the typos. Since I went to be with my Fiance this last summer in Italy, that is when all the trouble started. My CASA worker heard from someone else that he was from Morocco, took it to the District County Attorney and then it was then the decision was made not to give me Adoption Rights. Please tell me, is this not discrimination? I had no idea, he was even a concern, no one even told me. I asked the DA, so if I do call of my relationship with my Fiance how would I be able to prove that and would I then get my rights back for Adoption? All she did was shrug her shoulders.

Thanks for all of your replies and wishes.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Sorry about all of the typos. Since I went to be with my Fiance this last summer in Italy, that is when all the trouble started. My CASA worker heard from someone else that he was from Morocco, took it to the District County Attorney and then it was then the decision was made not to give me Adoption Rights. Please tell me, is this not discrimination? I had no idea, he was even a concern, no one even told me. I asked the DA, so if I do call of my relationship with my Fiance how would I be able to prove that and would I then get my rights back for Adoption? All she did was shrug her shoulders.

Thanks for all of your replies and wishes.
These are the steps in which it all happened. I went to Italy to be with my Fiance for two weeks at the end of July, 2003. I told no one about my Fiance. My daughter is the one that told the CASA worker that he was my fiance, not realizing it would have any affect on the Adoption Rights.

When I returned, my CASA Worker told me that my daughter told
her about my Fiance and that I probably wasn't going to like what she had to say. Then is when she called him a TERRORIST. After this day, nothing else was said about it.

Had Court three months later in October. This is when all rights were called off for Adoption. NO ONE told me my Fiance had any impact on this, NO ONE asked me any questions about him between this time span. I found out after the Court's decision. Actually it was the Assistant County Attorney's decision with the Courts/Judge's Acceptance. I also called the Assistant County Attorney, DA, in my earlier posts. They also said they had NO information on him and there was no way they could get it.

I cornered the CASA worker about what she had said about my Fiance in front of the SRS worker after time had passed. The CASA worker Denied ever saying she called my Fiance a Terrorist even though the SRS Worker told me that the CASA worker called her that same day we had our discussion and talked to her about it. The SRS worker agreed with me that there was some Racism and Prejudice involved and she was one that did not agree with it.

I truly hope that I did not sound to harsh in my earlier posts because I want all of you to know I do greatly appreciate all of your opinions, suggestions, advice, and good wishes.

By the way, I knew my Fiance about Two and a half years before I got guardianship of my grandson.

Thanks again so much for hearing me out!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Leslie66
Hi Seham,

I've read this thread over again and I think you should consider contacting a U.S. Muslim watch-dog group. Do a search, or if anybody on the forum knows how to contact any of them, perhaps they'll post it here. These are groups that were formed after 9-11 specifically to track abuses and mistreatment directed at Muslims. I realize that you are not Muslim, but I still think it could apply. If everything you are saying is correct then perhaps you could use the assistance of one of these groups.

Good luck,

Leslie
Leslie or to anyone that is familiar with the U.S. Muslim Watch-Dog group,

Could you please give me a little more information concerning the Muslim Group? I go to court this Friday and they were going to give me Legal Permanent Guardianship, but I am going to fight for adoption. I have the SRS Case Worker's support in Adoption and she also told me there was unneccessary Discrimination going on and will support me. This is my witness.

Thank you all so much who invested their time and opinions to my thread and for any helpful information concerning one of these groups.

I live in the state of Kansas in the U.S. Don't know if this information will help with finding me a group, but thought I would throw it in anyway.

Thanks so much!

Seham
Old Jan 28th 2004, 9:49 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I don't know if this may be of any use to you but it is possible for Social Services from one country to obtain reports/home studies/police checks carried out by their equivalents in another country if the countries involved are co-operative on that level.

The enquiring country must forward a request through International Social Services, I was involved in a court case a couple of years ago and UK Social Services requested such a report/study/checks by this method to be carried out by their US equivalents on my husband/home etc.

The process is slow, took about 6 months for the report to return but as the case was closed whilst the report was pending (they were only covering themselves really ) it did not prevent me from taking my daughter from the UK to the US.

I would certainly expect that Italy would have such an arrangement and most probably Russia too - I'm more unsure about Morocco but have my fingers crossed for you.

Does the SSD official involved not know about this procedure (it's not particularly common admittedly) or just not interested (which is what it sounds like)?

Leslie or to anyone that is familiar with the U.S. Muslim Watch-Dog group,

Could you please give me a little more information concerning the Muslim Group? I go to court this Friday and they were going to give me Legal Permanent Guardianship, but I am going to fight for adoption. I have the SRS Case Worker's support in Adoption and she also told me there was unneccessary Discrimination going on and will support me. This is my witness.

Thank you all so much who invested their time and opinions to my thread and for any helpful information concerning one of these groups.

I live in the state of Kansas in the U.S. Don't know if this information will help with finding me a group, but thought I would throw it in anyway.

Thanks so much!

Seham
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lairdside
I don't know if this may be of any use to you but it is possible for Social Services from one country to obtain reports/home studies/police checks carried out by their equivalents in another country if the countries involved are co-operative on that level.

The enquiring country must forward a request through International Social Services, I was involved in a court case a couple of years ago and UK Social Services requested such a report/study/checks by this method to be carried out by their US equivalents on my husband/home etc.

The process is slow, took about 6 months for the report to return but as the case was closed whilst the report was pending (they were only covering themselves really ) it did not prevent me from taking my daughter from the UK to the US.

I would certainly expect that Italy would have such an arrangement and most probably Russia too - I'm more unsure about Morocco but have my fingers crossed for you.

Does the SSD official involved not know about this procedure (it's not particularly common admittedly) or just not interested (which is what it sounds like)?
lairdside,

Wow, this is great information. I copied and pasted the information and forwarded it to my Attorney in hopes that he would check into it for me.

We are not married yet, he is my Fiance. Would that make a difference?

Thank you so much. This really helps in giving me at least something to look into.

I am very sure the SSD would have no idea about this. Very small state, very little culture mixture, and blinded to the outside world and other cultures.

Thanks again so much for the information. It is very much appreciated!

Seham

Last edited by Seham; Jan 29th 2004 at 2:05 am.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

SanBernardino is an unknown quantity at this point

Seham, I did a simple google search for Muslim Association Kansas and only came up with a student association at a university in Kansas. However, it also turned up an organization called ICNA with a toll free number to report discimination, so it seems they are prepared to hear your complaint and counsel you:
Toll-Free Number to Report Cases of Discrimination:
1-877-363-ICNA or 1-800-522-FAIR
http://www.icna.org/

Another organization called CAIR has an online form to fill out to report "an anti-muslim experience or hate-crime". It says they will refer the complaint to their civil rights department.

http://www.cair-net.org/asp/aboutcair.asp
--Red box on the right side

I don't know anything about these organizations, but it seems like a place to start.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by SanBernardino
Seham, I did a simple google search for Muslim Association Kansas and only came up with a student association at a university in Kansas. However, it also turned up an organization called ICNA with a toll free number to report discimination, so it seems they are prepared to hear your complaint and counsel you:
Toll-Free Number to Report Cases of Discrimination:
1-877-363-ICNA or 1-800-522-FAIR
http://www.icna.org/

Another organization called CAIR has an online form to fill out to report "an anti-muslim experience or hate-crime". It says they will refer the complaint to their civil rights department.

http://www.cair-net.org/asp/aboutcair.asp
--Red box on the right side

I don't know anything about these organizations, but it seems like a place to start.
SanBernardino, thank you, thank you sooooooo much. I am going to call them right away. I will get back to you as soon as I hear something. Thanks again so much!!!!!

Seham
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

SanBernardino, thank you, thank you sooooooo much. I am going to call them right away. I will get back to you as soon as I hear something. Thanks again so much!!!!!

Seham
SanBernardino and lairdside,

You both have given me such Valid Information and I just don't know how to thank you.

SanBernardino, I called the first number you had given me and I was accepted right away. They were so upset with what I was telling them. I have to contact the lawyer tomorrow in which they referred me to. You just don't know how much pressure has been lifted off of my shoulders.

Tomorrow is court and it is for Permanent Legal Guardianship. My lawyer, that I have at the moment, told me I have to make a decision right away between Guardianship or Adoption and I have been researching everything possible for Adoption because I was told my chances were not very good because of me being involved with my Fiance and then if I was denied the rights, they would take my grandson from me and place him in another home. Well, the person that spoke to me on the phone with the Muslim group told me to go ahead with the Permanent Guardianship and then let the battle begin "). He really put me at rest and was so very understanding. Actually, I think he was expressing more anger than me ").

Again, thank you soooooo very much from the bottom of my heart!

God Bless You!

Seham
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:31 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news!! I can't wait to hear your story in it's entirety as it all plays out. Please keep us posted this is going to be the first story of it's kind

Leslie

SanBernardino and lairdside,

You both have given me such Valid Information and I just don't know how to thank you.

SanBernardino, I called the first number you had given me and I was accepted right away. They were so upset with what I was telling them. I have to contact the lawyer tomorrow in which they referred me to. You just don't know how much pressure has been lifted off of my shoulders.

Tomorrow is court and it is for Permanent Legal Guardianship. My lawyer, that I have at the moment, told me I have to make a decision right away between Guardianship or Adoption and I have been researching everything possible for Adoption because I was told my chances were not very good because of me being involved with my Fiance and then if I was denied the rights, they would take my grandson from me and place him in another home. Well, the person that spoke to me on the phone with the Muslim group told me to go ahead with the Permanent Guardianship and then let the battle begin "). He really put me at rest and was so very understanding. Actually, I think he was expressing more anger than me ").

Again, thank you soooooo very much from the bottom of my heart!

God Bless You!

Seham
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Leslie66
Excellent news!! I can't wait to hear your story in it's entirety as it all plays out. Please keep us posted this is going to be the first story of it's kind

Leslie
Thank you so much, Leslie. You have really supported me well and have helped me out so much. I just can't tell all of you how happy I am at the moment and how excited I am.

You can be sure I will keep you posted. I feel I at least owe you that much!

WOW, I JUST CAN'T EXPLAIN THE RELIEF AND THE EXCITEMENT I AM FEELING AT THE MOMENT! THANK YOU, THANK YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!

Best Wishes and God Bless To All of You!

Seham
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

SanBernardino is an unknown quantity at this point

I am glad they took an interest in your situation Seham. I hope everything continues to look up from here. I would just like to offer some caution: your agenda and the agenda of this association are not 100% the same. Hopefully they overlapp enough that they will really consider what is best for you and your grandson. I would be careful not to get too caught up in remedying the injustice of it, and risk the best outcome for your grandson. Just a thought. Best wishes.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by SanBernardino
I am glad they took an interest in your situation Seham. I hope everything continues to look up from here. I would just like to offer some caution: your agenda and the agenda of this association are not 100% the same. Hopefully they overlapp enough that they will really consider what is best for you and your grandson. I would be careful not to get too caught up in remedying the injustice of it, and risk the best outcome for your grandson. Just a thought. Best wishes.
These are very knowledgeable words to ponder upon and I thank you once again. You can be sure I will not do anything in taking the risk at losing my grandchild. I will follow my heart and I know it will guide me right. If I feel the littlest itch that there could be a chance, I will back down instantly.

Thanks for your kind words, information, and the time to read and write about my situation.

Take care!

Seham
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:09 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

lairdside,

Wow, this is great information. I copied and pasted the information and forwarded it to my Attorney in hopes that he would check into it for me.

We are not married yet, he is my Fiance. Would that make a difference?

Thank you so much. This really helps in giving me at least something to look into.

I am very sure the SSD would have no idea about this. Very small state, very little culture mixture, and blinded to the outside world and other cultures.

Thanks again so much for the information. It is very much appreciated!

Seham
If you need any further verification re: the procedure if your attorney feels it may be applicable to you situation please let me know. I can supply names,addresses, phone no's etc for the departments involved in the process when it was used to check on my husband.

I can also call the social worker in Reno who handled things at this end. I did get the impression that it is an unusual request as no-one concerned had ever been involved in one before but it's defintely doable!

Alice (the Reno social worker) is a very helpful person and I'm sure she'd explain the process to your case workers
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lairdside
If you need any further verification re: the procedure if your attorney feels it may be applicable to you situation please let me know. I can supply names,addresses, phone no's etc for the departments involved in the process when it was used to check on my husband.

I can also call the social worker in Reno who handled things at this end. I did get the impression that it is an unusual request as no-one concerned had ever been involved in one before but it's defintely doable!

Alice (the Reno social worker) is a very helpful person and I'm sure she'd explain the process to your case workers
Hi lairdside, thanks once again. You really have been so very helpful. I will definitely keep you in mind and the information you have provided.

Well, I am off to court and just can't tell you how nervous I really am, but I will prevail no matter what the decision. My grandson will be with me ALWAYS!

I'll write later to give you all an update. Thanks for everything!

Seham

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.