Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Considering Marriage on VWP

Considering Marriage on VWP

Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Marriage on VWP

Originally Posted by meauxna
I appreciate you bringing it out, because it does do the group members a disservice.
I have deliberately stayed out of this thread until now, because I just couldn't find the right words! I think you've hit the right words, so I'm now free to post.

But I think we'll get over it.
Really? I am just so totally disillusioned by the OP that I want to slit my wrists. I'm not sure I'll ever recover. I feel so... used!

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine, Ian. I'll hold your hand.
(and cop a feel at the same time.. you like being used!)
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:46 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Really? I am just so totally disillusioned by the OP that I want to slit my wrists. I'm not sure I'll ever recover. I feel so... used!

Ian
Does that mean that your self-esteem is so far down the crapper that you'll sleep with me now?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You'll be fine, Ian. I'll hold your hand.
<sniff> Thank you!

(and cop a feel at the same time.. you like being used!)
WooHoo!

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Does that mean that your self-esteem is so far down the crapper that you'll sleep with me now?
Well... all I'm going to say is this - things are starting to look up for you!

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Sorry, I just have to ask this, because it's been nagging me since I read this on page 2 (and because no one else has asked):

Why did you lie to us, making up that whole story about how your fiance has a job and has 10,000 GBP in the bank, when neither is true? I really can't understand why you would even mention that if it wasn't true and wasn't relevant to your situation.
As I said in another post, she didn't lie. You put your spin on her post which was a fantasy post of what would happen if the fiancee came through the border and say this and that and had this and that paperwork.

It was mentioned because she was bright enough to add 2 and 2 and come up with a scenario that we are not allowed to talk about on here because it is considered aiding and abetting. Which is fine. I have no problem with that.

And what else have you lied about? It's very difficult to help you if you're not being honest with the facts. It's one thing to keep some facts to yourself, but quite another to pull them out of thin air.
I personally do not think that she lied about anything because the post you are condemning her for was not of actual facts. I believe they have a wedding planned and actually thought they could do exactly what they had planned to do. And lets face it, it is possible to get away with it as others have. However, in her case, the percentages of getting away with it are far lower because it is planned large and/or semi-large wedding with guests who have been formally invited and have purchased airline tickets months in advance for the ceremony, etc.

It calls to mind the Vegas wedding of an American Citizen and a German citizen. Vegas wedding could be spur of the moment but in this case the German citizen's family came to be at the wedding. He was deported.

On a related note, I'm curious as to whether you meet the minimum income requirement for your household size needed for sponsoring his visa?

~ Jenney
Since she is having a formal wedding, it is safe to assume that if she did not have the resources than someone in her family does to provide sponsorship. And if not or they are unwilling to do so, she will be back with questions about this issue.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 14th 2009 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Isabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Sorry, I just have to ask this, because it's been nagging me since I read this on page 2 (and because no one else has asked):

Why did you lie to us, making up that whole story about how your fiance has a job and has 10,000 GBP in the bank, when neither is true? I really can't understand why you would even mention that if it wasn't true and wasn't relevant to your situation.

And what else have you lied about? It's very difficult to help you if you're not being honest with the facts. It's one thing to keep some facts to yourself, but quite another to pull them out of thin air.

On a related note, I'm curious as to whether you meet the minimum income requirement for your household size needed for sponsoring his visa?

~ Jenney
I asked because we had all these plans and our mind set on being together that is until I read about all this fraud stuff... and I thought of ways to get around it. Thats the whole lie part up there. Then I got scared and ugh. thats about it. And no I cannot be his sponsor as I do not work, I graduate next May. My parents however can sponsor him. We had already talked about this.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Isabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really niceIsabel.S is just really nice

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
This is the part I read as being "made up" (not what you quoted).

"okay, lets say my fiance is coming over in may and we are going to spontaneously get married, And its going to be a simple courthouse wedding, he will have a return ticket as well as a open account with over 10,000pounds in England, AND a letter from his boss stating he intended to return back to England. If this happens."

I believe the OP was asking what would happen IF he (her boyfriend) "happened" to have a return ticket, 10,000 pounds in the bank, and a letter from a hypothetical boss......IF they did have those things, or could make it LOOK like they had those things, would they get away with the real plan, which was to enter on VWP, marry, and stay to adjust status.

I don't think she was lying to the group members; instead asking if they could get away with a VWP marriage/adjustment if they just "happened" to have all the things she listed. Meauxna and I appear to have interpreted it the same way. I think.

~SG
Thats exactly what happened. It was a what if situation. IF i had all those things and etc.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I have deliberately stayed out of this thread until now, because I just couldn't find the right words! I think you've hit the right words, so I'm now free to post.

Ian
Why did I disillusion you?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isabel.S
Why did I disillusion you?
Ian is kidding.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Okay, well since I had said im not taking the AOS route my family and fiance have been talking about him coming to marry leaving then filling a i -130. We have decided hes going to come back in a month, we are going to get married, he is leaving, we are filling a I-130 and then he is going to come as a visitor on our wedding day get married through the church and all that. stay till his vwp expires then returns home and waits out the processing time.

As far as I know everything there seems legal to me. Can u guys help me out.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, well since I had said im not taking the AOS route my family and fiance have been talking about him coming to marry leaving then filling a i -130. We have decided hes going to come back in a month, we are going to get married, he is leaving, we are filling a I-130 and then he is going to come as a visitor on our wedding day get married through the church and all that. stay till his vwp expires then returns home and waits out the processing time.

Let me get this right...he's coming over using the VWP with the intent to marry you...then he's leaving? If so it is not legal.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Let me get this right...he's coming over using the VWP with the intent to marry you...then he's leaving? If so it is not legal.
yes intent to marry then leave, but we are doing this just to speed it up, rather than wait till our wedding date and gett married we'll get married now. Then he leaves, comes back to visit on our wedding month then we get married thorugh the church have the big party. and then he stays until his vwp expires and leaves.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a little lost in your description. Here's what you can do:

1. He comes to visit on the VWP.
2. You get married while he's here in the USA.
3. When you have the certified copy of the marriage certificate in hand, file the I-130. You can do this while he's still here on the VWP.
4. He returns home before the 90 days allowed on the VWP.
5. He waits for visa processing back in the UK and eventually goes for an Immigrant Visa interview.
6. He moves to the USA permanantly once he has the Immigrant Visa in hand.

Total processing time from filing I-130 to getting IV in hand is about 8 to 10 months. You are both allowed to visit each other while the process is ongoing. If he comes to the USA on the VWP again to visit, he should bring proof of his ties to the UK, just in case they ask at the POE (for example, letter of employment showing when he needs to be back at work...letter from school showing when he needs to be back in class...rent/mortgage statements showing he has a residence in the UK to return to...etc).

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes it is.

It would be illegal if he were intending to stay in the USA and adjust status after marriage.

Coming to the USA on the VWP just to marry is legal. He then leaves and does the Immigrant Visa processing back in the UK.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.