Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I change me name after submitting AOS paperwork?

Can I change me name after submitting AOS paperwork?

Old May 26th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of
Default Can I change me name after submitting AOS paperwork?

Hey all,

As per usual, I have spent a while searching for the answers to my question, but to no avail...

A sent off my AOS application at the start of April, had my biometrics done start of May...all of this I did in my maiden name.

I was hoping to hyphenate my surname (took a little while to convince hubby but he's alright now!!) but I am guessing that if I try and do this on my passport it would cause some havoc when it came to using my AP / work authorisation permit,etc (all being well and I get them!). Is this the case?

Is there a way of changing my name with the USCIS while the case is mid-status? (please note I HAVE checked the USCIS website and cannot see anything relevant on there)

OR if I were to change my name on my passport and then all other documents such as driving licence, social security card and carried a copy of my marriage certificate, would I then legitimately use work / travel docs?

If it's an issue I am fine staying with my maiden name, although I would prefer to take on hubby's name too!
Old May 26th 2009, 6:05 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I change me name after submitting AOS paperwork?

wg,

Changing one's name is more of a process than a single point in time. Yes, at some point one does say to themself, 'from this point forward I will be known as ...', but notifying everyone who you want to know about this takes some time as you encounter opportuities to make the notifications. For a while - maybe a long while - you may find yourself going by 2 names depending on who you're talking to and whether or not you've yet notified them.

The best way to change your name for your I-485 application would be to do it at the interview, where the person with their hand on your file can take their red pen and mark up to appropriate documents. Otherwise, if your adjustment is approved without an interview, you can file an I-90 to get the green card changed. Trying to write to CIS to get the name on the application changed is probably not going to work.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by welshgirl1
Hey all,

As per usual, I have spent a while searching for the answers to my question, but to no avail...

A sent off my AOS application at the start of April, had my biometrics done start of May...all of this I did in my maiden name.

I was hoping to hyphenate my surname (took a little while to convince hubby but he's alright now!!) but I am guessing that if I try and do this on my passport it would cause some havoc when it came to using my AP / work authorisation permit,etc (all being well and I get them!). Is this the case?

Is there a way of changing my name with the USCIS while the case is mid-status? (please note I HAVE checked the USCIS website and cannot see anything relevant on there)

OR if I were to change my name on my passport and then all other documents such as driving licence, social security card and carried a copy of my marriage certificate, would I then legitimately use work / travel docs?

If it's an issue I am fine staying with my maiden name, although I would prefer to take on hubby's name too!
Old May 26th 2009, 6:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that you've submitted the AOS in your maiden name, your green card will be issued in your maiden name. If you change your passport and other ID, your green card will not match. This might be an issue if you're going to travel...although I suppose if you carry your marriage certificate as well, they can see how the name change came about. Seems like a hassle, though.

Personally, I would keep my maiden name on all your documents until it's time to remove conditions. Then, on the I-751, I would put your name down the way you want your 10-year card to be issued (hyphenated last name), and then change your passport and other ID.

Rene
Old May 26th 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

Thank you both for your advice, I think I will wait for the 10 year GC, sounds like the most straightforward way! THANKS!
Old May 26th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

NotworkSte is an unknown quantity at this point

Little bit different, since I will be the one getting the visa, but C and I have decided she will not change her name until I get to the US. Don't want to have any hassles or delays due to a name change mid process.