Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me please URGENT!!!

Can anyone help me please URGENT!!!

Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

staygold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone help me please URGENT!!!

I got married to a US Citizen (my long term girlfriend), whilst over here from the UK under the VWP, I hadn't initially come over with the intention of getting married whilst here, but one thing led to another etc etc. My VWP runs out on the 1st October, does anyone know if it's possible to extend this period, or as I imagine, will I have to leave the USA for a period of time, if so what would be the shortest period????

I have made 3 visits to the US since April 13th (that one was 2 weeks), then a 4 week period on 28th May, then I came back again on 3rd July (though that time I was given a majorly hard time at my POE). Obviously I don;t want to be away from my wife at all, but I'm resigned that I'm going to have to be. Can anyone offer any advice, I haven't filled any visa applications or anything yet, could I stay now we are wed???

Anything would be good

Many thanks

N
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone help me please URGENT!!!

You cannot extend the VWP. Do yourself a huge favor, consult with an immigration attorney immediately and find out the ins and outs from them. After your consultation the discussion on the procedures involved can be done. Remember client/attorney discussions are private.

Originally Posted by staygold
I got married to a US Citizen (my long term girlfriend), whilst over here from the UK under the VWP, I hadn't initially come over with the intention of getting married whilst here, but one thing led to another etc etc. My VWP runs out on the 1st October, does anyone know if it's possible to extend this period, or as I imagine, will I have to leave the USA for a period of time, if so what would be the shortest period????

I have made 3 visits to the US since April 13th (that one was 2 weeks), then a 4 week period on 28th May, then I came back again on 3rd July (though that time I was given a majorly hard time at my POE). Obviously I don;t want to be away from my wife at all, but I'm resigned that I'm going to have to be. Can anyone offer any advice, I haven't filled any visa applications or anything yet, could I stay now we are wed???

Anything would be good

Many thanks

N
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

then I came back again on 3rd July (though that time I was given a majorly hard time at my POE).
Especially because of your comment here about a hard time at the POE on this last visit, you should consult with an attorney in private to go over all of YOUR facts and find out your options for a next move.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My VWP runs out on the 1st October, does anyone know if it's possible to extend this period,
No you cannot extend this period

or as I imagine, will I have to leave the USA for a period of time, if so what would be the shortest period????
You don't necessarily have to leave the US. There are a few different options you have available to you, and not all require you to leave the US. But if you do, because you now have a US spouse, it may be doubly hard for you to reenter the US down the line because you will seen to have immigrant intent (unless you have the appropriate immigrant visa). Esp if you were given a hard time before. In short, there no short & sweet answer to this question.

Can anyone offer any advice, I haven't filled any visa applications or anything yet, could I stay now we are wed???
Short answer is, yes, there is a process by which you could stay in the US. You won't find to many people on here willing to talk about it, because you sorta circumvented the route to *technically* legally immigrate to the US to be with your fiancee/wife. Best bet, though, is for you to consult with an Immigration lawyer to determine your likelihood of getting approved going thru this process. You can find a lawyer here at www.aila.org.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi staygold,

Just thought I'd say two things:

1. I agree with the other posters, have a consultation with an immigration attorney while you are IN the USA...bring your girlfriend with you.

2. You don't have to HIRE an attorney to do all your paperwork. All you're looking for right now is a 1-time consultation to explain your situation and get a legal opinion as to the best route to take from this point. Should run you around $100 - $150 for the consultation.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

apw619 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
1. I agree with the other posters, have a consultation with an immigration attorney while you are IN the USA...bring your girlfriend with you.
You might be better advised to take your wife with you!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by apw619
You might be better advised to take your wife with you!
LOL, you're right...I re-read the post, they are already married.

Rene
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

staygold is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips everyone, very much appreciated.

I'll get on the case Monday with an attorney.

With regards to getting a hard time at POE for possible immigrant intent, what if I don't tell them about the wedding at POE if I have to leave and come back in, to get another 3 month VWP?

Cheers

N
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:28 pm

With regards to getting a hard time at POE for possible immigrant intent, what if I don't tell them about the wedding at POE if I have to leave and come back in, to get another 3 month VWP?

Cheers

N
You only have to answer the questions asked of you at the POE. Don't volunteer any extra information. If the officer asks what you're doing here, you can say "visiting" and that's it. If the officer asks "do you have a USC wife?" You have to say "yes".

Answer the questions honestly and briefly. Don't provide extra information until asked.

Rene
Old Aug 17th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

N
Your posts indicate that you are now beyond "possible" immigrant intent...
As Rene has said, you only have to answer the questions that you are asked. But since you already have been closely questioned, you can expect even more scrutiny in the future unless you are absent from the US for an extended period. The border officers aren't stupid, they've figured out you aren't a typical tourist. Don't count on being able to hide the fact that you are married to an American. If they catch you being untruthful you will be in big trouble.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

N
Based on your recent travel history, it's no guaranteed thing that you would get back in.
Prepare for your meeting by laying out what you would optimally like to do, and when. You haven't even actually said that you want to move to the US...

oops, forgot to hit 'post'