Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about conditions on greencard

Question about conditions on greencard

Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:37 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all
Default Question about conditions on greencard

I came here on a K1 visa, got a greencard with conditions. My anniversery is 28th August (which is when my temporary greencard expires.

I sent the paperwork before 20th July to USCIS and I have heard nothing from them since...

My greencard will expire soon, which I assume will mean it is illegal for me to work if I don't have something saying I can?

I have a really good job that I am not about to lose, will I be penalised for working if I don't get something from the government? How is this fair?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about conditions on greencard

Originally Posted by fatman
I came here on a K1 visa, got a greencard with conditions. My anniversery is 28th August (which is when my temporary greencard expires.

I sent the paperwork before 20th July to USCIS and I have heard nothing from them since...

My greencard will expire soon, which I assume will mean it is illegal for me to work if I don't have something saying I can?

I have a really good job that I am not about to lose, will I be penalised for working if I don't get something from the government? How is this fair?
Your green card expires, but your status as PR does not. As long as you filed the paperwork in time (which you did), you are still able to work legally. You won't lose your job.

Rene
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:46 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Your green card expires, but your status as PR does not. As long as you filed the paperwork in time (which you did), you are still able to work legally. You won't lose your job.

Rene
Great, thankyou!!!
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thankyou!!!

that avatar is gross btw

Curious as to how your anniversary and the expiration of your green card fall on the same date?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

stretchup is an unknown quantity at this point

Fatman,it would be illegal if you worked while your i-751 is being processed and your green card expires before you receive the notice from immigration for an extended time,you should make an infopass appointment and go in to see an immigration officer and bring with you your passport and soon to expired green card along with you so that your passport can be stamped with a i-551,that will give you the one-year extension,then you can use this information in your passport to show your employer and for them to copy this document for their records,but do ask about the sheduling of the biometric,cause this follows soon after the extension is served..Have a great day and hope this information will be helpful to you,Bye!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

stretchup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stretchup
Fatman,it would be illegal if you worked while your i-751 is being processed and your green card expires before you receive the notice from immigration for an extended time,you should make an infopass appointment and go in to see an immigration officer and bring with you your passport and soon to expired green card along with you so that your passport can be stamped with a i-551,that will give you the one-year extension,then you can use this information in your passport to show your employer and for them to copy this document for their records,but do ask about the sheduling of the biometric,cause this follows soon after the extension is served..Have a great day and hope this information will be helpful to you,Bye!
Fatman according to what I heard.is that the immigration department is experiencing a very high volume of cases,especially with the fee increase,so which is probably why you have not heard any thing as yet in accordance to your i-797c for an extension..but do as I explained to you in my previous message,make an infopass appointment and go in to see an immigration officer ...and explain the situation to him or her,and I guarantee you you will get good results..Have a great day and don't worry your self too much...bless up!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

This is not true. His card expires, but not his status, and his employer does not have the right to re-check his documents in the meantime.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
This is not true. His card expires, but not his status, and his employer does not have the right to re-check his documents in the meantime.

Best Wishes,
Rene

See my response to the other post on this subject.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE=stretchup
"it would be illegal if you worked while your i-751 is being processed and your green card expires before you receive the notice from immigration for an extended time"
/QUOTE

This is completely false. It is not the extension letter that gives you status, but the act of filing the I-751 correctly and on time.

Please see this post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...07&postcount=9
This post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...80&postcount=7

And the instructions from USCIS on this page: How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?
http://tinyurl.com/32he6z

Will I Get a Work Permit?
As a legal permanent resident, you should have received a permanent resident card. This card will continue to prove that you have a right to live and work in the United States permanently. If you file your USCIS Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) on time, the USCIS will extend your conditional resident status for up to 12 months while your Form I-751 petition is under review.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

All wrong. I filed the I-751 on time and worked beyond the expiration date of my green card with absolutely no issues. That I had received the NOA during this time period is insignificant. However, I did get my DL renewed using the NOA and when I took up a new job, that is what I used (the DL) as proof of work authorization, along with the SSN.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:44 pm
The fattest member

Fatman according to what I heard.is that the immigration department is experiencing a very high volume of cases,especially with the fee increase,so which is probably why you have not heard any thing as yet in accordance to your i-797c for an extension..but do as I explained to you in my previous message,make an infopass appointment and go in to see an immigration officer ...and explain the situation to him or her,and I guarantee you you will get good results..Have a great day and don't worry your self too much...bless up!
actually I got the notice in the mail yesterday that they will extend it for a year whilst they process my paperwork, so it is all good.

Thanks for the help guys
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:45 pm
The fattest member

Originally Posted by Rete
that avatar is gross btw
well I am saving up money to get liposuction and a tummy tuck