BCIS and SSN-how long?

Old Mar 12th 2003, 1:52 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default BCIS and SSN-how long?

How long does it take for BCIS to add an alien's name into the system after his/her entry into the U.S.? From what I have read, it sounds like it would be better to wait a short while before Cory applies for his SSN?

Thanks
Juliet
Old Mar 12th 2003, 5:47 pm
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BCIS and SSN-how long?

Originally posted by jcapulet
How long does it take for BCIS to add an alien's name into the system after his/her entry into the U.S.? From what I have read, it sounds like it would be better to wait a short while before Cory applies for his SSN?

Thanks
Juliet
Hi Juliet,

Our SSN saga was not the norm I don't think. We waited four months for Dave's SSN as he wasn't "in the computer" until about two weeks ago (got his number two days ago). We had to get our congressman involved and he was VERY helpful.

In any case, from what I've read (basically all posts about SSN catch my eye ), most people get their SSN's in a reasonable amount of time...I dunno...month, month and a half, somewhere in there. Earlier sometimes if they call and get the number before the card comes.

Anyway, I have read of a few people that had better luck waiting a bit until they were in the system. I think it just depends on 1) Luck 2) Where you go to apply and 3) Who you deal with (i.e. are they doing their job properly and are well-informed or are they clueless as to your situation...)

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Ang
Old Mar 12th 2003, 5:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jcapulet

Thanks
Juliet

That's my thought as well. I would give them a minimum of 2 weeks after entry before going to apply.

Rete
Old Mar 12th 2003, 7:02 pm
Kristin

Juliet - Our local SS Office said they hold all immigration-based SS#
applications until ten days from the date of entry at the POE if they
can't find them in the system, as their experience has been that within
10 days, the INS database is updated. So on the 10th day, they ran my
(now) husband's info and bingo, he was there! He had his number the
next day and his card about a week later. Kristin

KissingtheBrit wrote:
    > Originally posted by jcapulet
    >
    >>How long does it take for BCIS to add an alien's name into the system
    >>after his/her entry into the U.S.? From what I have read, it sounds
    >>like it would be better to wait a short while before Cory applies for
    >>his SSN?
    >>Thanks
    >>Juliet

Old Mar 12th 2003, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

trasmus will become famous soon enoughtrasmus will become famous soon enough

If I remember correctly, my husband and I applied for his I-485 at the Dallas BCIS office and were approved the same day. About a week later he applied for his SS card, all he need was the passport with the I-551 stamp in it.

T.R.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 12:29 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
That's my thought as well. I would give them a minimum of 2 weeks after entry before going to apply.

Rete
Ok -- now I'm confused!! Someone please give me some insight on this...

Mark's interview is March 24, and he should get his visa that same day. We are planning on him arriving May 1st, applying for his SSN a day or two later, then getting married by the end of his first week here. After that, we'll get the AOS/EAD/AP stuff organized and file those probably by the end of May.

Everyone seems to say that it's better to apply for the SSN before marriage, so that's what we were going to do. We were thinking that the 5 weeks between when Mark (hopefully!) gets his K-1 visa and when he arrives in the States would be sufficient time for his name to be entered into the BCIS system so he could get his SSN without much delay.

But from what I'm reading here, it seems that it really depends on when he enters the States, not when he gets the actual visa?

Does this mean that we can't apply for his SSN until we know for sure that he's in the BCIS system? Would he be in the system by the time he arrives on May 1st? Do we have to wait until after we're married to apply for it? Or can we still apply per our original timeline??

Ugh... this is so confusing...

~ Jenney
Old Mar 13th 2003, 1:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

He can apply the minute he walks out of the airport. The SSA needs to verify his status. They do this by checking the INS database. Apparently it takes a few days or a week or two for it be to updated. Therein lies the problem. If he goes the day after and his name is not on the database, the SS office will either hold his application and recheck the database periodically or they will send a written request to BCIS for verification. If they wait, the timeline is shorter. If they write, the timeline is increased.

In your situation since you are planning on marrying the first week, he will have to apply immediately as he cannot apply after marriage.

Rete