Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Approved I-360--Now What?

Approved I-360--Now What?

Old Apr 14th 2006, 1:47 am

Soccer Mom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Approved I-360--Now What?

I am new to this board and hope someone can help. I arrived in the US from Canada in November 2004. In January 2005, he started to abuse me and my daughter. A friend told me about filing a VAWA. I filed a VAWA petition in December 2005 and just received my approval. I know I have to file my AOS now but I am unsure of a few things.

Where do I file my I-485?
What proofs do I have to file with it?
When and where will be my interview?
Will I still need to file an I-751?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Soccer Mom
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approved I-360--Now What?

Originally Posted by Soccer Mom
I am new to this board and hope someone can help. I arrived in the US from Canada in November 2004. In January 2005, he started to abuse me and my daughter. A friend told me about filing a VAWA. I filed a VAWA petition in December 2005 and just received my approval. I know I have to file my AOS now but I am unsure of a few things.

Where do I file my I-485
What proofs do I have to file with it?
When and where will be my interview?
Will I still need to file an I-751?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Soccer Mom

It will tell you on the instruction sheet where to file and what to submit as evidence, your interview will be at the district office governing where you live; no you will not be a conditional resident if approved as the approval is not based on marriage, therefore, no I-751 to file.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 3:07 am

Unhappy Re: Approved I-360--Now What?

Originally Posted by Rete
It will tell you on the instruction sheet where to file and what to submit as evidence, your interview will be at the district office governing where you live; no you will not be a conditional resident if approved as the approval is not based on marriage, therefore, no I-751 to file.
be

Thanks Rete...one more question..if I filed my I-360 prior to the expiration of my visa (visa expired end of January 06) but the VAWA approval arrived after my visa expired, am I considered to be in the US illegally and therefore my AOS will be denied?
Old Apr 14th 2006, 3:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approved I-360--Now What?

Originally Posted by Soccer Mom
be

Thanks Rete...one more question..if I filed my I-360 prior to the expiration of my visa (visa expired end of January 06) but the VAWA approval arrived after my visa expired, am I considered to be in the US illegally and therefore my AOS will be denied?

Don't believe so. Your VAWA was pending giving you a status for being here. The filing of the AOS will give you continued legal status for being here. The amount of overstay will play a part in your life if you need to travel outside of the US with advance parole and your overstay is 180 days or more.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 10:01 pm

Question Re: Approved I-360--Now What?

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't believe so. Your VAWA was pending giving you a status for being here. The filing of the AOS will give you continued legal status for being here. The amount of overstay will play a part in your life if you need to travel outside of the US with advance parole and your overstay is 180 days or more.

Along with my VAWA approval, I received something called a deferred action. But the approval states that it does NOT cover my child and that deferred status needs to be requested separately for her.

How do I do this, what do I send and where?

Thanks
Soccer Mom