Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Approved in Garden City, NY, and even got the stamp! (Long)

Approved in Garden City, NY, and even got the stamp! (Long)

Old May 4th 2006, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

grouchy has a spectacular aura aboutgrouchy has a spectacular aura aboutgrouchy has a spectacular aura about
Default Approved in Garden City, NY, and even got the stamp! (Long)

Yesterday, hubby and I had our AOS interview in Garden City and we were approved!! For background (sorry, those who have heard about it before ad nauseum), we filed AOS August 2003. Well as it was in NY we were steeled to wait 2 years and file for multiple EADs and APs. At about the 2 year mark, we got a letter in the mail and expected it to be an interview notice. Instead it was a denial notice based on a failure to appear for fingerprinting (which was not true--the denial said we had received a notice to make a fingerprint appointment last spring, when in fact we had received the type that picks out a date for you, which was in July, which we duly attended). Needless to say we were shocked and after consulting this forum (thanks Rete and Mr. F) filed a motion to reopen, and also got our Congressman involved. Despite being told by a person I got when calling the helpline that MTR's typically take a year, ours was adjudicated after 7 weeks successfully by MSC Lee's Summit. This was very stressful as I was 8 months pregnant at the time we got the denial notice. So the case was successfully reopened and we got an RFE for an I-864 (which we sent in originally, maybe they wanted a new one) and for the vaccination supplement (which we hadn't got a copy of, but in 2003 when we filed the helpline person told us we wouldn't need it til the interview anyway--no longer true). After sending the RFE in, we waited and Congressman was contacting CIS to see if our file had been sent to NY, there was some confusion as MSC said it had been, NY said they didn't have it. Now I realize that's because it had been sent to Garden City, who is doing alot of the NYC interviews recently.

So yesterday's interview. You first hand your letters in downstairs, and are called in in groups to upstairs, where you wait for your DAO. After about an hour, a kind-faced lady DAO came out and called our name. She commented we had alot of stuff with us (half of which was a giant briefcase full of evidence and the other half stuff for our 8 month old who was strapped to hubby's chest). Hubby replied that when you have a baby, you have no option but to go around with alot of stuff. When we reached her office, she asked who was the US citizen (me), and commented that our baby looked exactly like hubby. She then asked about how we met and I explained, asked if he had come in by the 90 days required by the K-1 (yes). Asked who atttended our wedding and I explained my parents were in Canada and my mom had intended to come but was very ill and we couldn't delay the wedding as we had to marry within the 90 days. She asked how much time we spent together before marriage and I told her about my several trips to Europe after the initial one when we met. She asked for photo album, asked hubby to ID a photo of us with a little kid which he almost screwed up saying its my aunt--niece--nephew (searching for the right word in English as he must have been a little nervous too--actually the kid was a son of a cousin, who he treated as a nephew when he lived in Greece). Hubby then was asked to ID someone in our wedding photo which he said was my aunt. I then pointed out photos of us in Europe with hubby's 2 sisters and said their names. She asked if she could keep 3 photos from album, at which point I pulled out my giant file of photocopies of every document we had, neatly divided by labels indicated what they were, with photocopies and some original photos at the very beginning. She went through it, saying this is great stuff and pulling out some but certainly not all of the mounds of evidence. I said I have originals of all of it for you and she said no, that's OK, I will look through the copies, originals not necessary. She said oh, I have the vaccination supplement but not the medical. Well, it so happened that when we went for the vac supplement when we got the RFE, the bitchy nurse insisted on doing the full medical, saying that other people she had had who insisted on only the vac supplement came back upset when they found out they needed the full medical. Well since they were charging $150 for the vac supplement and $200 for the full medical we said what the hell. So when the DAO asked us for the medical, even though he was a K-1, instead of trying to educate her, I just handed it over. She also took joint account statements, Con Ed bill, employment letters for both of us. She asked if we lived at the same address since he came here and if I had that apartment before we were together which were both yeses. I said I had an updated affidavit of support as I had gotten a raise and she said I'll take that (she said you're a lawyer, right, so she must have noticed that beforehand). She asked us to describe a typical day in our lives and I did (when I said I leave work earlier now that baby's here, she misheard and thought I said we were expecting another, and we said no, hubby said we want more and she said not 100 more and he laughed). When she got to the last tab, the divorce certificates, my heart skipped a beat when she hesitated but then she asked if I had sent that in with the I-129F and I said yes and she double-checked that she did indeed have it on her file. She asked hubby if he had ever applied for a fiancee visa before for anyone else and he said no. She asked if he had ever been arrested, deported, and a couple of other q's in the same vein and he said no. She said you haven't left the country and he said yes, to visit my parents and I added on vacation to Brazil when I was pregnant too and I forgot to mention the AP's but she didn't ask and seemed satisfied. She said it all looks good and you are now a permanent resident. She asked for his EAD's, saying he didn't need them anymore. I asked when the green card should come and she said in about 3 weeks. She then surprised me by offering the stamp, saying it might take 2 to 3 hours and since you have baby with you, you may not want to wait. I said well we are planning to take baby to Europe for a party there to celebrate her birth (though not til July, but I knew from this forum how GC's can get messed up with wrong info, etc, so I wanted that stamp!!!) and she said OK, told us where to wait downstairs. she said if we wanted to get something to eat, go ahead as it will be at least one hour. We decided we weren't hungry and just to wait and it's a good thing too because after 35 minutes someone called him, gave him his passport with the stamp. Happy ending!!! Thanks to this forum, I was well prepared. Only real surprises were her wanting the medical even though he was a K-1, and being offered the stamp. I was sort of mentally prepared for security check delays (although I thought it wasn't too likely, because his name is very unusual and thus wouldn't trigger matches), and also prepared for the fact that in NY recently, alot of people haven't been getting an answer the day of the interview but have had to wait. But happily that was not the case.

I can't imagine how much more difficult it would have been without the help I've had in this forum. Hopefully my posts on the MTR will help others in future. Although we didn't, for some it's worth having a lawyer not only for more complex situations than ours, but because they get duplicate notices for everything. It seems inevitable that there is alot of screwups in the receiving interview notices or fingerprint appointments, especially when the applicant dares to move during the process.

Hope I haven't forgotten any details, but have done my best. Again, thousand thanks to all. When hubby's GC arrives in a few weeks (hopefully sans errors), I will have to change my user name, from Grouchy to Content.
Old May 4th 2006, 3:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approved in Garden City, NY, and even got the stamp! (Long)

Hooray!! Congratulations!!

Rene
Old May 4th 2006, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Am really, really elated for you. (-:

Also interesting that you got the stamp - as I was trying to explain to some other poster a few weeks ago ... apparently at their interview, they were told that stamps would no longer be given out. I tried to explain that you can't take the word of one office or DAO as gospel.

Anyway - many congrats!

Originally Posted by grouchy
Yesterday, hubby and I had our AOS interview in Garden City and we were approved!! For background (sorry, those who have heard about it before ad nauseum), we filed AOS August 2003. Well as it was in NY we were steeled to wait 2 years and file for multiple EADs and APs. At about the 2 year mark, we got a letter in the mail and expected it to be an interview notice. Instead it was a denial notice based on a failure to appear for fingerprinting (which was not true--the denial said we had received a notice to make a fingerprint appointment last spring, when in fact we had received the type that picks out a date for you, which was in July, which we duly attended). Needless to say we were shocked and after consulting this forum (thanks Rete and Mr. F) filed a motion to reopen, and also got our Congressman involved. Despite being told by a person I got when calling the helpline that MTR's typically take a year, ours was adjudicated after 7 weeks successfully by MSC Lee's Summit. This was very stressful as I was 8 months pregnant at the time we got the denial notice. So the case was successfully reopened and we got an RFE for an I-864 (which we sent in originally, maybe they wanted a new one) and for the vaccination supplement (which we hadn't got a copy of, but in 2003 when we filed the helpline person told us we wouldn't need it til the interview anyway--no longer true). After sending the RFE in, we waited and Congressman was contacting CIS to see if our file had been sent to NY, there was some confusion as MSC said it had been, NY said they didn't have it. Now I realize that's because it had been sent to Garden City, who is doing alot of the NYC interviews recently.

So yesterday's interview. You first hand your letters in downstairs, and are called in in groups to upstairs, where you wait for your DAO. After about an hour, a kind-faced lady DAO came out and called our name. She commented we had alot of stuff with us (half of which was a giant briefcase full of evidence and the other half stuff for our 8 month old who was strapped to hubby's chest). Hubby replied that when you have a baby, you have no option but to go around with alot of stuff. When we reached her office, she asked who was the US citizen (me), and commented that our baby looked exactly like hubby. She then asked about how we met and I explained, asked if he had come in by the 90 days required by the K-1 (yes). Asked who atttended our wedding and I explained my parents were in Canada and my mom had intended to come but was very ill and we couldn't delay the wedding as we had to marry within the 90 days. She asked how much time we spent together before marriage and I told her about my several trips to Europe after the initial one when we met. She asked for photo album, asked hubby to ID a photo of us with a little kid which he almost screwed up saying its my aunt--niece--nephew (searching for the right word in English as he must have been a little nervous too--actually the kid was a son of a cousin, who he treated as a nephew when he lived in Greece). Hubby then was asked to ID someone in our wedding photo which he said was my aunt. I then pointed out photos of us in Europe with hubby's 2 sisters and said their names. She asked if she could keep 3 photos from album, at which point I pulled out my giant file of photocopies of every document we had, neatly divided by labels indicated what they were, with photocopies and some original photos at the very beginning. She went through it, saying this is great stuff and pulling out some but certainly not all of the mounds of evidence. I said I have originals of all of it for you and she said no, that's OK, I will look through the copies, originals not necessary. She said oh, I have the vaccination supplement but not the medical. Well, it so happened that when we went for the vac supplement when we got the RFE, the bitchy nurse insisted on doing the full medical, saying that other people she had had who insisted on only the vac supplement came back upset when they found out they needed the full medical. Well since they were charging $150 for the vac supplement and $200 for the full medical we said what the hell. So when the DAO asked us for the medical, even though he was a K-1, instead of trying to educate her, I just handed it over. She also took joint account statements, Con Ed bill, employment letters for both of us. She asked if we lived at the same address since he came here and if I had that apartment before we were together which were both yeses. I said I had an updated affidavit of support as I had gotten a raise and she said I'll take that (she said you're a lawyer, right, so she must have noticed that beforehand). She asked us to describe a typical day in our lives and I did (when I said I leave work earlier now that baby's here, she misheard and thought I said we were expecting another, and we said no, hubby said we want more and she said not 100 more and he laughed). When she got to the last tab, the divorce certificates, my heart skipped a beat when she hesitated but then she asked if I had sent that in with the I-129F and I said yes and she double-checked that she did indeed have it on her file. She asked hubby if he had ever applied for a fiancee visa before for anyone else and he said no. She asked if he had ever been arrested, deported, and a couple of other q's in the same vein and he said no. She said you haven't left the country and he said yes, to visit my parents and I added on vacation to Brazil when I was pregnant too and I forgot to mention the AP's but she didn't ask and seemed satisfied. She said it all looks good and you are now a permanent resident. She asked for his EAD's, saying he didn't need them anymore. I asked when the green card should come and she said in about 3 weeks. She then surprised me by offering the stamp, saying it might take 2 to 3 hours and since you have baby with you, you may not want to wait. I said well we are planning to take baby to Europe for a party there to celebrate her birth (though not til July, but I knew from this forum how GC's can get messed up with wrong info, etc, so I wanted that stamp!!!) and she said OK, told us where to wait downstairs. she said if we wanted to get something to eat, go ahead as it will be at least one hour. We decided we weren't hungry and just to wait and it's a good thing too because after 35 minutes someone called him, gave him his passport with the stamp. Happy ending!!! Thanks to this forum, I was well prepared. Only real surprises were her wanting the medical even though he was a K-1, and being offered the stamp. I was sort of mentally prepared for security check delays (although I thought it wasn't too likely, because his name is very unusual and thus wouldn't trigger matches), and also prepared for the fact that in NY recently, alot of people haven't been getting an answer the day of the interview but have had to wait. But happily that was not the case.

I can't imagine how much more difficult it would have been without the help I've had in this forum. Hopefully my posts on the MTR will help others in future. Although we didn't, for some it's worth having a lawyer not only for more complex situations than ours, but because they get duplicate notices for everything. It seems inevitable that there is alot of screwups in the receiving interview notices or fingerprint appointments, especially when the applicant dares to move during the process.

Hope I haven't forgotten any details, but have done my best. Again, thousand thanks to all. When hubby's GC arrives in a few weeks (hopefully sans errors), I will have to change my user name, from Grouchy to Content.
Old May 4th 2006, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ndori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to allNdori is a name known to all

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! It's not easy to graduate from USCIS especially in NYC!
Old May 4th 2006, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

curiousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud of

Congratulations!!! time to celebrate
Old May 4th 2006, 4:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yahoo !!!!!!! Another satisfied happy camper.

Your report was excellent and I know that others will learn much by reading it.

Thanks and congratulations.

Rete
Old May 4th 2006, 4:50 pm
Martijn

Congrats Crouchy!

I was kind of surprised to get my stamp immediately as well. Not so
much maybe the stamp itself, but the way she hardly seemed to be
fiishing for any evidence, she simply stated at the end how everything
was fine and how she would stamp my passport which caught me a bit by
surprise as in "That's it? We're simply ok and done? Nobody is goig to
hassle us or make us wait for a decision or GC?" :D My experience of a
few days ago is here btw:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.v...e5d4d34e2b45cd

Well, you don't have to remove the conditions anymore as you're beyond
the 2 years, so you both are all set!

All the best.

Old May 4th 2006, 4:52 pm
Martijn

>>Congrats!!!!!!!!!! It's not easy to graduate from USCIS especially in NYC!
Well, that's what I thought, but ours was damn easy.

Old May 4th 2006, 5:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ndori
Congrats!!!!!!!!!! It's not easy to graduate from USCIS especially in NYC!

Don't we know it ;-) Our graduation was a looooonnnnggg time ago and naturalization was almost 3 years ago but it sometimes still seems like only yesterday.

Rete
Old May 4th 2006, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

grouchy has a spectacular aura aboutgrouchy has a spectacular aura aboutgrouchy has a spectacular aura about

That's cause CIS-time is full of black holes and other rips in the space-time continuum.

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't we know it ;-) Our graduation was a looooonnnnggg time ago and naturalization was almost 3 years ago but it sometimes still seems like only yesterday.

Rete
Old May 4th 2006, 7:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grouchy
I will have to change my user name, from Grouchy to Content.
I love it!

Congratulations!!!!

(hey, you'll have to give me the Greeklish for Congratulations--I've forgotten!)

Way to go, Mrs Content!