Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Apply for AOS & EAD in person experience.

Apply for AOS & EAD in person experience.

Old Sep 12th 2004, 5:22 am
IRAN/USA

tuhmaruh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apply for AOS & EAD in person experience.

We decided to go ahead and apply for AOS and EAD without an appointment since it seemed that our Sub-Office (Fresno-CA) is one of the least busy offices. Here is our experience.....

Showed up at 6:30AM... there were already about 12 people in line. They opened the doors at 7:30AM and the line progressed toward the required information/number assignment desk. At the door they separate people who have to be there from "other" people and the "other" people are told wait out side. "Other" people include everyone not applying directly for something i.e., spouses, sponsors, even interpreters. They only let children in with the parent who is applying for something if the child is also applying for something. The security personnel explained to every applicant that when their number is called, if it is necessary to have some one else join them they will have the opportunity to come out and get the person and bring them in.

By 8:00AM my husband, Nozar was in the waiting room on the first floor with number in hand. His number was J305 it meant nothing to a layperson as it was not a number of succession so we had no way of estimating how long it may take. Incidentally, you may not take any food or mobile phone in with you. They are very strict about who and what they let in the building. Everyone is questioned at the front, locked doors.

Since the waiting room is on the first floor, I could stand right out side and have some sort of pitiful communication with my husband like....he showed me what number he had so I could watch for it on the digital screen and we waved at each other but of course we could not hear each other so almost any attempt at communication was futile. The security personnel were all very, very friendly, endlessly patient and helpful. At one point one security guard saw us trying to communicate and reminded my husband that it is okay for him to go out and come back in, but since we didn't know when his number would be called he thought it best to just wait inside. During the wait I kept my self busy; there is a fairly nice shopping area and benches out side, so I got a coffee, window-shopped and walked off my impatient energy. Finally at about 11:30 his number was called. Yippeee!!! He went to the window handed his packet to the officer, a very nice older gentleman. Nozar then explained that I was the sponsor and wife and was outside waiting and asked if I could come in. As promised earlier I was allowed to join Nozar with no problems.

The officer opened our manila envelope, which included all required documents and a smaller envelope with the application for EAD and supporting docs. If you want a complete list please see the following link. Rene was very thorough with her list, I just copied her.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236788

Something to note is that I did not read anywhere on any instructions that I needed to include my dissolution of marriage and/or birth certificate (only Nozar's). I even double-checked because Rene had included it in her packet. So I left it out just to see what would happen, because they already checked that stuff with the I-129F. Any way.... I needed it. so be sure to include it.
The officer organized the documents in his proper order...I saw no discernable order so they must follow internal guidelines. He stapled together each individual years tax info, my check stubs, and anything else that should be grouped together. I had them just separated by tabs, which proved to be helpful. After he organized them he asked for my dissolution of marriage and birth certificate, which I had with me. He was polite enough to take copies, even though I had planned on them keeping the originals. He told me that he didn't really need them to continue processing but that Nozar would get an RFE for them before my husband's AOS interview so it's better to have them copied and in the file now to save time later on.

After completely checking all of our paperwork, he then told us to be seated, that he was going process the paper work and make a file and would call us back up by using our same number in a few minutes. He called us back in about 15 minutes. He gave us a printed receipt of filing and receipt for payment. He explained to us how long it may take (6-9 months in our case) before the interview and then introduced us to another man who would be taking us up stairs for EAD processing.

We followed the young man up stairs to the 6th floor where he left us in a waiting room that was void of people but had plenty of chairs. Another man behind a glass window told us to be seated. After a few minutes, he called Nozar back where he took his picture, verified his visa and produced his EAD card all in about 10 minutes. He even asked us which of the two pics we liked best to use for his EAD card! I was surprised about that. Once we were done with that we took the elevator back to ground level and headed home.

Something else I should mention as a side note is that Nozar didn't apply for AP because we had discussed prior and decided he wouldn't use it. But the very nice officer who handled our filing pointed out that he is able to leave and reenter the country with AP if he decides to apply for it in the future. Apparently they determine that at the time of filing for AOS whether or not you apply for AP. There is a special place on their paper work that shows whether AP could be granted or not. He showed it to us that Nozar's was checked "Yes for AP/Reentry".

The whole experience was actually pleasant. Especially since we had the positive result of a get-it-the-same-day EAD card. Every employee that we encountered was pleasant and helpful! The only negative to the whole experience was being separated during the long wait. We hadn't prepared for that and it didn't mention it on the website. But I must confess that the building was more secure and orderly without a hundred people in the waiting room that didn't need to be there.

The whole experience took from 6:30AM until about 12:15pm. If we had had an appointment it would have been a much shorter waiting time, but Nozar is heading out of town so we couldn't wait for an appt. We can't complain...excellent service, courteous staff, partial same day results.....my tax dollars at work. Nice to see.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 4:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for AOS & EAD in person experience.

Congratulations, Tamara and Nozar!! Getting the EAD card the same day must have been like a gift from above! None of that 3 or 4 month waiting...you guys have been extremely lucky, and gone through everything at lightning speed Of course, I'm sure Tamara's attention to detail helped a LOT!

Thanks for posting you experience and congrats again....glad I could be of help to you, too.

Love, Rene
Old Sep 12th 2004, 5:16 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for AOS & EAD in person experience.

Originally Posted by tuhmaruh
We decided to go ahead and apply for AOS and EAD without an appointment since it seemed that our Sub-Office (Fresno-CA) is one of the least busy offices. Here is our experience.....
Glad to hear everything went smoothly, and that the staff there was friendly and helpful.

Please be aware that not all USCIS offices (or sub-offices) accept walk-ins anymore. Our sub-office, Norfolk, no longer does. As a result, we had to wait 4 months before Mark got his EAD.

~ Jenney