Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AP dilemma....any advice?

AP dilemma....any advice?

Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

sandy- pie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AP dilemma....any advice?

hi there. MY husband sent in his application for AP a couple of days ago. We are hoping to travel to england just after christmas. Our problem is, we arent bursting with money and wanted to get the best deals on plane tickets. If we buy refundable tickets they cost $700, if we buy non-refundable tickets they only cost $380.

Are we pretty sure to get the document by mid December?...should we just rick the cheaper tickets? I know no one will know for sure, but maybe any recent applicants can give a litle insight. We are going through San Francisco. My sister in law is having a baby in a few weeks so we really want to go but can't waste the money if the paperwork doesnt go through.

thanks ya'll
sandy
Old Oct 17th 2003, 6:31 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all
Default Travel plans

If you want my advice... do NOT make any plans until you've got the documents in hand! My hubby and I just never planned to go anywhere and noone could screw up our plans *S* Besides, cheap tickets or not, you will save a bunch by not taking any risks!
And another thing... what's wrong spending your first X-mas alone... together? *W*
Old Oct 17th 2003, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

navyme is an unknown quantity at this point

I am planning to go get mine in person Monday, i don't know if i could get the same day....
Maybe poeple who experienced this could help us.
Ya all great
Old Oct 18th 2003, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

well, we would love to spend our christmas alone but we still live with my parents so that will be a dream for next year. Plus we want to see his new nephew.

We are going to wait a little while longer for tickets in hopes that we will still get a deal and get our papers. who knows.

sandy
Old Oct 18th 2003, 5:23 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

navyme,

Only people who experienced it at the same office that you'll be going to can help you, because different offices have different procedures.

Originally posted by navyme
I am planning to go get mine in person Monday, i don't know if i could get the same day....
Maybe poeple who experienced this could help us.
Ya all great
Old Oct 18th 2003, 1:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AP dilemma....any advice?

I have to agree with Petra...Do NOT book anything until you have your AP in hand....USCIS will disappoint...
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

bao-long is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ray6
I have to agree with Petra...Do NOT book anything until you have your AP in hand....USCIS will disappoint...
I, on the contrary, would not agree. I would just assume that I would get the AP in time and get the cheap tickets.

First off, Sandy, you have applied for the AP plenty in advance so there should not be any reason why you would not receive it by the time your husband and you need to leave for the UK. Then, you always have the possibility to go to the BCIS office 2 weeeks ahead to check on its status and even better get the AP on the spot as Caro mentionned in another thread.

Personally, I got frustrated at getting frustrated because of all this immigration paperwork trying to my life. So, I always assume the best and do everything to get the best outcome.

Hope it helps,

Bao-Long
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bao-long
I, on the contrary, would not agree. I would just assume that I would get the AP in time and get the cheap tickets.

First off, Sandy, you have applied for the AP plenty in advance so there should not be any reason why you would not receive it by the time your husband and you need to leave for the UK. Then, you always have the possibility to go to the BCIS office 2 weeeks ahead to check on its status and even better get the AP on the spot as Caro mentionned in another thread.

Personally, I got frustrated at getting frustrated because of all this immigration paperwork trying to my life. So, I always assume the best and do everything to get the best outcome.

Hope it helps,

Bao-Long
If you buy the cheap tickets and don't go, and assuming you can later buy the cheap tickets at the same price...in the case you get your AP you have saved $320.00 dollars per ticket. On the other hand if you don't get your AP in time and have to repurchace tickets at at $380.00 you have cost yourself $60.00 per ticket...how risk adverse are you.....
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lpdiver
If you buy the cheap tickets and don't go, and assuming you can later buy the cheap tickets at the same price...in the case you get your AP you have saved $320.00 dollars per ticket. On the other hand if you don't get your AP in time and have to repurchace tickets at at $380.00 you have cost yourself $60.00 per ticket...how risk adverse are you.....
Good point! You should check with the airline about the tickets rules. Usually, you can change the departure date for $150. That's still way cheaper than the refundable tickets and I am sure you will find another reason to go to the UK.

Bao-Long
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Hi Sandy,

Could you let us know how long it takes your husband to get the AP. We need one for February, are are trying to figure out when to request one. We were hoping to have the AOS interview before then...but it doesn't look like it.

Thanks,

Kat and Chris
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by katnap8
Hi Sandy,

Could you let us know how long it takes your husband to get the AP. We need one for February, are are trying to figure out when to request one. We were hoping to have the AOS interview before then...but it doesn't look like it.

Thanks,

Kat and Chris
You may actually get the interview before Feb. I just received my AOS appt letter and as far as I can tell you only sent your AOS a few weeks after me. My appt is set for Nov. 20th. Hopefully, everything will go well and you wil get the stamp at the end of it. I hope I will too.

Cheers,

Bao-Long
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Originally posted by bao-long
You may actually get the interview before Feb. I just received my AOS appt letter and as far as I can tell you only sent your AOS a few weeks after me. My appt is set for Nov. 20th. Hopefully, everything will go well and you wil get the stamp at the end of it. I hope I will too.

Cheers,

Bao-Long

Hi Bao-Long,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

We're really happy for you, hopefully we're not too far behind,but with the mix up we had about the returned mail...we might be far behind. Anyway, we'll let you know.
By the way, can you post what you're going to bring, so that we have an idea.

I hope you get your stamp, I think Caro received hers on the same day, so maybe SF does it that way.

Cheers and please keep in touch,

Kat and Chris
Old Oct 24th 2003, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

hi there ...well they just recieved the paper work on monday and today, thursday,we got the notice to come pick it up in 2 weeks!!!! how flippin fast was that. I would still give yourself pleanty of time though.
here we come cheap tickets!

sandy

Originally posted by katnap8
Hi Sandy,

Thanks,

Kat and Chris