Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AP by car to Canada and importing vehicle

AP by car to Canada and importing vehicle

Old May 11th 2001, 4:04 pm
duress

Hey all.

I know these questions have been asked a million times already but hopefully you'll
tolerantly help me out anyway.

1) Can someone supply me with the website or info where I can get info on importing a
'91 Ford from Canada to the U.S? I know I need to get some sort of letter from the
manufacturer regarding emissions or something.

2) I married on a tourist visa and am returning home (by car) to Ontario (FINALLY) to
pick up my belongings, using my AP. How do I use my AP? Do I need to do anything
with it at the Canadian border?

3) My U.S. citizen wife will not be travelling with me. Will this be a problem when
re-entering the US with a small trailer load of my belongings? What type of
hassles can I expect at the Detroit/ Windsor crossing in this circumstance?
Admittedly, I'm a bit stressed about it, despite having AP.

Thanks in advance,

D

Old May 11th 2001, 6:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Using the A/P at the drive-thru border is easy as pie.

You just have to give the guy at the booth your A/P and passport, they will direct you to the side to park, you will go into the INS office, your A/P will be stamped with two I-94's and written on, they will direct you to the Customs' area where you will give them your A/P (proof of immigration status at this point), a list of your belongings, the letter from the auto manufacturer dealing with its acceptability under the safety guidelines of US motor vehicle law. You will get a completed form from them for the vehicle which you will give to the motor vehicle department when you register the car.

As for hubby being with you, won't make a bit of difference.

Believe me we have been there, done that, and have lived to talk about it at the Massena POE, the Champaign POE with one K-1, and two A/P's and next week doing it with the I-551 stamp.

PS the URL you are looking for is in the FAQ