Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS in Seattle - A little confused about new checklist - What is I-693?

Wikiposts

AOS in Seattle - A little confused about new checklist - What is I-693?

Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:40 pm
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS in Seattle - A little confused about new checklist - What is I-693?

Just when I thought that I had it all figured out... I went to the Seattle USCIS INS BCIS or what ever they are today and found out that I was using an old check list to process our AOS... So here, I have the new one... No problem, just switch a few paper clicks around, and re-assemble the packet. So I thought.... For the, "Required Documents" list for the beneficiary they show the following:

G-325A - Bio (No Problem)

I-693 - Sealed Medical Exam (First problem, her sealed package, "Brown envelope was taken at POE). What sealed envelope am I supposed to send?

I-94 - "Original".., The hallowed I-94 that I have been so coveting. Am I really supposed to mail the original? What if it gets lost in the mail?

Birth Cert - No problem

Divorse/Death - no problem

Any help would be appreciated

Scott
Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:54 pm
Michael D. Young

Default Re: AOS in Seattle - A little confused about new checklist - What is

ScottHenshaw wrote:

> Just when I thought that I had it all figured out... I went to the
    > Seattle USCIS INS BCIS or what ever they are today and found out that I
    > was using an old check list to process our AOS... So here, I have the
    > new one... No problem, just switch a few paper clicks around, and re-
    > assemble the packet. So I thought.... For the, "Required Documents" list
    > for the beneficiary they show the following:
    > G-325A - Bio (No Problem)
    > I-693 - Sealed Medical Exam (First problem, her sealed package, "Brown
    > envelope was taken at POE). What sealed envelope am I supposed to send?

The I-693 has to be sealed in an envelope by the doctor that completes the
form.

Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:06 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Michael D. Young
ScottHenshaw wrote:

> Just when I thought that I had it all figured out... I went to the
    > Seattle USCIS INS BCIS or what ever they are today and found out that I
    > was using an old check list to process our AOS... So here, I have the
    > new one... No problem, just switch a few paper clicks around, and re-
    > assemble the packet. So I thought.... For the, "Required Documents" list
    > for the beneficiary they show the following:
    > G-325A - Bio (No Problem)
    > I-693 - Sealed Medical Exam (First problem, her sealed package, "Brown
    > envelope was taken at POE). What sealed envelope am I supposed to send?

The I-693 has to be sealed in an envelope by the doctor that completes the
form.
Hey Scott!!

Does your fiancee still have her brown envelope?
I gave mine to the POE officer and he kept it.
Since your now wife entered the country as a K1'er, she does not need a new medical exam. I read it at USCIS site.
As for the envelope being opened, why don't you call your local USCIS office and ask them what to do??
Sorry I can't be of anymore help
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:13 pm
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice
Default Re: AOS in Seattle - A little confused about new checklist - What is I-693?

Originally posted by ScottHenshaw I-693 - Sealed Medical Exam (First problem, her sealed package, "Brown envelope was taken at POE). What sealed envelope am I supposed to send?
Chances are they are asking for the vaccination supplement here if she has already had the medical exam and it isn't a year old. The vaccination supplement is just a portion of the entire form therefore would be referred to as form "I-693". Confusing, I know, but most likely what they are asking for. It also should be put in an envelope and sealed by the USCIS approved doctor in your area. There have been several topics about vaccination supplements so if you do a search you should have no problem finding some other information about it.

Thing2's I-94 was not taken at the time of filing. We did submit a photocopy of it though. The I-94 was asked for at the time of the interview and approval, which we then handed over the original for them to put in our file.

Hope that helps.

thing1
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:13 pm
Scott and Nanette

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey Scott!!

Does your fiancee still have her brown envelope?
I gave mine to the POE officer and he kept it.
Since your now wife entered the country as a K1'er, she does not need a new medical exam. I read it at USCIS site.
As for the envelope being opened, why don't you call your local USCIS office and ask them what to do??
Sorry I can't be of anymore help

She has a really large brown envelope that is stapled shut. I peeked in and it appears to only be x-rays.... She has a series of medical reports from St. Lukes in Manila which seems to have the same tests and info as what is on the I-693. I will call tomorrow and see if I can get help over the phone. Being though that in the past the phone people have given me incorrect info, it is a little scary. If the checkoff list is differnt for K1'ers, then why would they have given me the wrong one.

So the million dollar questions is: If the beneficary came on a K1 and had the medical tests done prior to having the Visa issued, do they have to do it all over again for AOS? Any one know about the original I-94? Thanks again,

Scott
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:18 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS in Seattle - A little confused about new checklist - What is I-693?

Originally posted by thing1
Chances are they are asking for the vaccination supplement here if she has already had the medical exam and it isn't a year old. The vaccination supplement is just a portion of the entire form therefore would be referred to as form "I-693". Confusing, I know, but most likely what they are asking for. It also should be put in an envelope and sealed by the USCIS approved doctor in your area. There have been several topics about vaccination supplements so if you do a search you should have no problem finding some other information about it.

Thing2's I-94 was not taken at the time of filing. We did submit a photocopy of it though. The I-94 was asked for at the time of the interview and approval, which we then handed over the original for them to put in our file.

Hope that helps.

thing1
That explains it all
I am a K3'er, why do I need another medical exam?, why is it different for K1's?
Thanks!!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:21 pm

Originally posted by ScottHenshaw
She has a really large brown envelope that is stapled shut. I peeked in and it appears to only be x-rays.... She has a series of medical reports from St. Lukes in Manila which seems to have the same tests and info as what is on the I-693. I will call tomorrow and see if I can get help over the phone. Being though that in the past the phone people have given me incorrect info, it is a little scary. If the checkoff list is differnt for K1'ers, then why would they have given me the wrong one.

So the million dollar questions is: If the beneficary came on a K1 and had the medical tests done prior to having the Visa issued, do they have to do it all over again for AOS? Any one know about the original I-94? Thanks again,

Scott
She won't need another medical exam if a year hasn't elapsed since she got it done. I dont know why this is different for K1's though.
I don't have my x-rays!!
As for the Original I-94, I will ask the USCIS local office too, Call 4 times.. to verify the info is correct, they tend to mess up
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:21 pm
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

Scott
The x-ray is irrelevant. The copy of any shots she received at her medical should be taken the to doctor so they can transfer the info to the vaccination supplement and administer any shots she still needs.

The only time a medical would have to be done again is if the last one is a year or more old.

thing1
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by thing1

Hope that helps.

thing1
So Scott had his interview today in London. He told me that he was given a copy of his vaccination supplement form along with the visa and brown envelope. He's already had his TD and MMR shots, & the doc noted this on there.

So since this was given to him, not in a sealed envelope, how can he possibly get it resealed for AOS? Or is it even necessary to get it resealed? I hope we don't have to go to a designated civil surgeon because the nearest one is about 200 miles from where we'll be!

Jamie
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

timesup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
I am a K3'er, why do I need another medical exam?, why is it different for K1's?
I read on the USCIS site that K3's do not need another medical if their medical for the K-3 application was within a year of filing I-485.

from http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm :
"Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon."
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:59 pm
Scott and Nanette

Timesup, You win the million dollars! That link seems to answer the question..... I wonder why they did not put that in the checklist?

However, what are we supposed to submit with the AOS paperwork? The reports from the overseas exam in a non-sealed envelope? Or are we supposed to take them to a local cert. surgeon to seal them? Just when I think that I have it figured out... It all goes to Hell again....

Last edited by ScottHenshaw; Feb 17th 2004 at 3:05 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:16 pm
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
So Scott had his interview today in London. He told me that he was given a copy of his vaccination supplement form along with the visa and brown envelope. He's already had his TD and MMR shots, & the doc noted this on there.
Look very closely at the medical form from the doctor. It is very unlikely that this is the actual I-693 Vaccination Supplement.

At first, I too thought the form I received from Dr Phelan was the I-693 Vaccination Supplement. However, it was not.

The I-693 Vaccination Supplement is ONLY obtained from a designated USCIS Civil Surgeon in the US. Even then, a lot of the USCIS civil surgeons will not provide only the Vaccination Supplement.

The supplement, as its name suggests, is an addditional form to the I-693 - the Medical itself, which K-1s do not need. Some surgeons only do the entire medical. This was the case in our local area (Grand Rapids, MI) and we had to travel out to Holland, MI to find a civil surgeon that would do just the vaccination supplement.

What the Civil Surgeon will do is look at your vaccination supplement (I used the form from Dr Phelan) and transfer those details onto the I-693 Vaccination Supplement.

Here is the form itself - only for you to look at - only the Civil Surgeon can complete this :

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/ti-...-a_693vacc.pdf

Find your local USCIS Civil Surgeon here :

http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/cs/index.asp

We found this part to be the most confusing aspect of the entire AOS process, but it was actually less complicated than it needed to be.

It cost us $35 to get the vaccination supplement.

The Civil Surgeon should transfer the details onto the form, and seal the form in an envelope, preferably, with the Doctor's details on the envelope. Make sure the vaccination details have been transferred correctly before the envelope is sealed. Ours was incorrectly filled in the first time.

It all turned out to be a waste of time and money for us as we were never asked for it at our Detroit AOS Interview. However, I was glad we had it as if we were asked for it and didn't have it, our approval would have been delayed and a return trip to Detroit would have been in order.

Brits - One Other Thing - If you can't prove from your medical records that you have had chicken pox, then you will need to get the Varicella vaccination once you are in the US (it is not available in the UK). The vaccination is 2 shots, costing approx $60 each. Make sure you have time enough to get this done well before your AOS interview.

thing2
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:21 pm

Timesup, You win the million dollars! That link seems to answer the question..... I wonder why they did not put that in the checklist?

However, what are we supposed to submit with the AOS paperwork? The reports from the overseas exam in a non-sealed envelope? Or are we supposed to take them to a local cert. surgeon to seal them? Just when I think that I have it figured out... It all goes to Hell again....
Poor you!!!, from what I have understood, You do not need to seal anything, Only the vaccination suplement needs to be sealed and the surgeon will do that, relax Scott
Timesup, Thanks for the info!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:23 pm

Originally posted by thing2
Look very closely at the medical form from the doctor. It is very unlikely that this is the actual I-693 Vaccination Supplement.

At first, I too thought the form I received from Dr Phelan was the I-693 Vaccination Supplement. However, it was not.

The I-693 Vaccination Supplement is ONLY obtained from a designated USCIS Civil Surgeon in the US. Even then, a lot of the USCIS civil surgeons will not provide only the Vaccination Supplement.

The supplement, as its name suggests, is an addditional form to the I-693 - the Medical itself, which K-1s do not need. Some surgeons only do the entire medical. This was the case in our local area (Grand Rapids, MI) and we had to travel out to Holland, MI to find a civil surgeon that would do just the vaccination supplement.

What the Civil Surgeon will do is look at your vaccination supplement (I used the form from Dr Phelan) and transfer those details onto the I-693 Vaccination Supplement.

Here is the form itself - only for you to look at - only the Civil Surgeon can complete this :

Find your local USCIS Civil Surgeon here :

http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/cs/index.asp

We found this part to be the most confusing aspect of the entire AOS process, but it was actually less complicated than it needed to be.

It cost us $35 to get the vaccination supplement.

The Civil Surgeon should transfer the details onto the form, and seal the form in an envelope, preferably, with the Doctor's details on the envelope. Make sure the vaccination details have been transferred correctly before the envelope is sealed. Ours was incorrectly filled in the first time.

It all turned out to be a waste of time and money for us as we were never asked for it at our Detroit AOS Interview. However, I was glad we had it as if we were asked for it and didn't have it, our approval would have been delayed and a return trip to Detroit would have been in order.

Brits - One Other Thing - If you can't prove from your medical records that you have had chicken pox, then you will need to get the Varicella vaccination once you are in the US (it is not available in the UK). The vaccination is 2 shots, costing approx $60 each. Make sure you have time enough to get this done well before your AOS interview.

thing2
Hey Thing2!!

The Dr gave me a copy of the vaccination suplement, he said I will need that for AOS
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:25 pm

Originally posted by thing2

That is what I have!! Bingo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.