Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview Scheduled but wrong location!

AOS Interview Scheduled but wrong location!

Old Feb 19th 2003, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

sly_950 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS Interview Scheduled but wrong location!

Hi,

After starting the AOS process (when I got married) on July 17th 2002 (Charlotte, NC), I just received my appointment letter for March 6, 2003 for the AOS interview.
However, in January we moved to New Jersey (Newark office) and I sent my change of address letter to the Charlotte office. It seems like they didn't process my change of address in time and scheduled the interview in Charlotte, NC instead of Newark, NJ...
What should I do? What if I fly to Charlotte and my "physical" files were sent to Newark in the meantime? Should I go to Newark on the same day and time the appointment was set for in Charlotte (that's what the INS help line suggested...)?

Thanks for all your help... We may need to book tickets pretty fast now!

Sly.
Old Feb 19th 2003, 9:47 pm
David Brown

Default Re: AOS Interview Scheduled but wrong location!

call them and locate the actual file. (It's probably in Charlotte so start
there.)
Then ask them if you may keep the appointment.

Old Feb 19th 2003, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

I wish I could call the office in Charlotte or Newark, but they just don't take phone calls... I'm sure writing would just take too much time!
Any ideas?

Originally posted by David Brown
call them and locate the actual file. (It's probably in Charlotte so start
there.)
Then ask them if you may keep the appointment.
Old Feb 19th 2003, 11:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sly_950
I wish I could call the office in Charlotte or Newark, but they just don't take phone calls... I'm sure writing would just take too much time!
Any ideas?
Just changing the address with the AR-11 is not sufficient. It is recommended that you "write" the Charlotte office and ask for transfer of your file to Newark, NJ and visit and/or write Newark, NJ and ask them to request transfer of your file.

As you no longer live in SC, you cannot attend an interview there. My suggestion would be to write them immediately explaining the situation, requesting again that your file be forwarded to Newark and send it return receipt requested certified mail as proof that you advised SC INS that you have moved and have not abandoned your AOS petition.

Rete
Old Feb 19th 2003, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Rete,
Actually I didn't use the AR-11, I wrote the Charlotte office (on Jan 14 2003) and gave my new address in NJ and ask them for further instructions, if any.
I will write them as you advised in your post, but do you think it is useful to show up in *Newark* at the time and day of my Charlotte appointment like the INS Hotline agent suggested?

Originally posted by Rete
Just changing the address with the AR-11 is not sufficient. It is recommended that you "write" the Charlotte office and ask for transfer of your file to Newark, NJ and visit and/or write Newark, NJ and ask them to request transfer of your file.

As you no longer live in SC, you cannot attend an interview there. My suggestion would be to write them immediately explaining the situation, requesting again that your file be forwarded to Newark and send it return receipt requested certified mail as proof that you advised SC INS that you have moved and have not abandoned your AOS petition.

Rete
Old Feb 19th 2003, 11:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sly_950
Rete,
Actually I didn't use the AR-11, I wrote the Charlotte office (on Jan 14 2003) and gave my new address in NJ and ask them for further instructions, if any.
I will write them as you advised in your post, but do you think it is useful to show up in *Newark* at the time and day of my Charlotte appointment like the INS Hotline agent suggested?
My honest answer? I laughed. By the hotline you are talking about the infamous "give 'em the wrong answer" INS 1-800 number? Hey I could be as wrong as the moon rising over New York at 12 noon and the sunsetting at 11 p.m., but reason would tell me that Newark, like every other INS district office including Charlotte, "schedules" interviews in advance and that their DAOs are busy with pre-arranged adjusters seeking their residency.

I would certainly suggest going to Newark with the appointment letter and asking them what to do and could they ask Charlotte to forward your file to their office. Do everything you can to ensure that INS does not consider your petition abandoned.

Rete
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Default Newark INS Office Re: AOS Interview Scheduled but wrong location!

Well after doing all that was nicely suggested to me on this forum, I still feel uncomfortable about missing my AOS interview (since my change of address letters will probably be read too late) and afraid that INS may consider my petition abandonned (even though I gave my new address 45 days ago).
So I may go to the Newark,NJ office tomorrow to ask them if they have the files, or ask them in person to request the files, or something like that (sigh...).
Newark INS has been widely called one of the worst INS offices in the country a few years ago when they took 50 to a 100 people a day (sometime lining up as early as 11pm the night before or so I read). Now they take 400 (the officer told me)...
Does *anybody* know when I should show up to have a chance to get in?
Thanks for any feedback!
Sly.

Originally posted by Rete
My honest answer? I laughed. By the hotline you are talking about the infamous "give 'em the wrong answer" INS 1-800 number? Hey I could be as wrong as the moon rising over New York at 12 noon and the sunsetting at 11 p.m., but reason would tell me that Newark, like every other INS district office including Charlotte, "schedules" interviews in advance and that their DAOs are busy with pre-arranged adjusters seeking their residency.

I would certainly suggest going to Newark with the appointment letter and asking them what to do and could they ask Charlotte to forward your file to their office. Do everything you can to ensure that INS does not consider your petition abandoned.

Rete