Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview Copies and Originals?

AOS Interview Copies and Originals?

Old Jan 13th 2005, 12:01 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default AOS Interview Copies and Originals?

Ok simple question here. With copies of documents, should we present them WITH originals OR only present the originals if requested? I have copies for anything which we do not want USCIS to keep but I am wondering which they prefer.

Maybe it is just a preferance for an officer?

Patrick
Old Jan 13th 2005, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

vivsavage955 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS Interview Copies and Originals?

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Ok simple question here. With copies of documents, should we present them WITH originals OR only present the originals if requested? I have copies for anything which we do not want USCIS to keep but I am wondering which they prefer.

Maybe it is just a preferance for an officer?

Patrick
Hi:

I'd bring two sets...the originals and the photocopies. If they ask for something specific, pull out the photocopy and fall back on the original if asked.

When we were at our I-485 in SFO last month, the officer just wanted copies. I had a few originals which he asked specifically to see (my wife's birth certificate, our marriage certificate), but did not keep. In those cases, he looked over the original and then asked for the photocopy to insert into the file. Never mind that those copies already appear throughout the file...we weren't in a position to argue the point!
Old Jan 13th 2005, 12:17 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by vivsavage955
Hi:

I'd bring two sets...the originals and the photocopies. If they ask for something specific, pull out the photocopy and fall back on the original if asked.

When we were at our I-485 in SFO last month, the officer just wanted copies. I had a few originals which he asked specifically to see (my wife's birth certificate, our marriage certificate), but did not keep. In those cases, he looked over the original and then asked for the photocopy to insert into the file. Never mind that those copies already appear throughout the file...we weren't in a position to argue the point!

Cool, looking at your timeline, it looks very similar to mine from applying to the interview, I note you got the stamp at the interview, for me that would be a BIG bonus to get the stamp tomorrow.

I think I will then put all the originals together in a folder and have the copies ready to give the officer.

Thanks again
Patrick
Old Jan 13th 2005, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

This is what I don't understand. I could understand why they might want to see the originals of the documents they have but why would they want more copies? We already sent them copies of everything with the original I-130 and I-485. Can't they hold on to anything? They're like 5 year olds who lose everything.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 3:09 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopiacowboy
This is what I don't understand. I could understand why they might want to see the originals of the documents they have but why would they want more copies? We already sent them copies of everything with the original I-130 and I-485. Can't they hold on to anything? They're like 5 year olds who lose everything.
Heh....they didn't lose anything of ours! In fact, our DAO was quite perturbed that our file was so thick. Patrick, I'd bring the originals in one folder and the copies in another. You can pull from both easily. Good luck tomorrow!

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 13th 2005, 3:46 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Heh....they didn't lose anything of ours! In fact, our DAO was quite perturbed that our file was so thick. Patrick, I'd bring the originals in one folder and the copies in another. You can pull from both easily. Good luck tomorrow!

~SecretGarden
I have done just that, anything that I want to keep originals of, I have copies made and the originals are now in a seperate folder.
I think we are all set with the exception of the birth cert originals for my kids (got fax copies) and one of my wife's kid's birth cert which we have no copy at all.
So, fingers crossed and will report tomorrow how it all goes

Patrick
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

vivsavage955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
So, fingers crossed and will report tomorrow how it all goes
Good luck! We found SF to be a pleasant office to deal with, so I'm hopeful you will have an easy time of it tomorrow.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 10:54 am
Brenda Ballard

When you get ready for the interview what do you actually need to take
with you and what should copies be made of beside birth
certificates and marriage certifcates
we went our 485 last March to Memphis and
I really dont know how long it will be before
we get our interview

Appreciate any help

bb

Old Jan 16th 2005, 10:55 am
Brenda Ballard

marriage certificate not certificates.....sorry

Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:47 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by Brenda Ballard
marriage certificate not certificates.....sorry
Pretty much anything you have provided copies originally, bring more copies to the interview, also bring the originals. This way if USCIS has lost any of the original copies you will have additional copies with you and also the originals for anything you have provided copies of may be requested at the interview.
Patrick