Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Anyone meet there spouse or fiance online?

Wikiposts

Anyone meet there spouse or fiance online?

Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone meet there spouse or fiance online?

Two possibilities. First, there is a thriving business in Colombia arranging tours for gringoes who go down there looking for wives and most of this business is done over the internet. I would not have blamed him for asking further questions to see if this was a "mail-order" relationship. Second, I guess because of the "reputation" that meeting on the internet has. Of course why meeting in a bar or a club is so much more preferable to meeting on the internet escapes me. In any event, the issue never came up and we had a lovely Catholic wedding.

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Why?????
Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:50 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks..

Perverts tend to be problematic.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:06 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by utopiacowboy
Two possibilities. First, there is a thriving business in Colombia arranging tours for gringoes who go down there looking for wives and most of this business is done over the internet. I would not have blamed him for asking further questions to see if this was a "mail-order" relationship. Second, I guess because of the "reputation" that meeting on the internet has. Of course why meeting in a bar or a club is so much more preferable to meeting on the internet escapes me. In any event, the issue never came up and we had a lovely Catholic wedding.
Mail order in Colombia too?? How sad!!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Lets face it everytime something about the inet, in particular chat is reported its bad. Which makes telling people you met your other half on the inet much much harder.

Jan
Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:37 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Lets face it everytime something about the inet, in particular chat is reported its bad. Which makes telling people you met your other half on the inet much much harder.

Jan
Sad.. but true
Old Jan 12th 2004, 11:50 am
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

I, too, met my fiance online. In February 2002, a friend of mine asked me to join a computer tech website she frequented. Although I knew less than nothing about computers at the time, I did so as a favor to her. To my surprise, I really enjoyed the site, and began to spend quite a bit of time there. A few months after joining, I became a forum moderator. Steve was one of the owners of the site. Our first conversations were strictly site-related, but gradually became more personal, until it was rare we even mentioned the site. He flew here in July 2003 and again in November. There was a bit of initial nervousness about meeting him, but that dissipated after about 5 seconds. After that, it was just as though we had been together every day. He is, without a doubt, my best friend. I respect him, I like him and I love him. I can't even imagine life without him in it; nor do I want to.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 11:56 am
Sleep? What's that?

bubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura aboutbubbadog has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by jules1971
We felt totally at ease with each other and our first kiss was a knee trembler.
Ohh, I know the feeling! The thought of it still sends shivers up my spine!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:27 pm
Margaret

Met mine on the internet in May 2001 in the MSN 40's chatroom. Me in
Canada, him in the U.S. Married July 2002.

My parents freaked about this whole internet situation at the
beginning because of the Russian woman who was murdered by her husband
over in Washington (?) back in 2000. Understandable.

While my friends were receptive to it, half of my co-workers were a
little concerned while the other half thought it was pretty neat.

Even closer to the time that my son and I were going to immigrate my
father would never admit to anyone of how my future husband and I had
met. He ended up getting caught up in his own lie and was furious.
Told him he had only himself to blame him, he should have been
truthful to begin with. How we met had no reflection on him or my
mother and there was nothing wrong with the way we met anyhow.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

It really is sad. There are 1 million more women than men in Colombia between the ages of 16 and 64. In my trips there I have met many widows, friends and coworkers of my wife, all of them attractive, well-educated and intelligent. My wife says that her prospects for marriage in Colombia as a 43 year old widow with three children were non-existent and she had resigned herself to spending the rest of her life alone. Which, if you ever met my wife, you would know is truly a sad thought. There is not a more vibrant, cheerful, optimistic, beautiful woman alive on this planet.

Mail order in Colombia too?? How sad!!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

JJ&ST is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by utopiacowboy
It really is sad. There are 1 million more women than men in Colombia between the ages of 16 and 64. In my trips there I have met many widows, friends and coworkers of my wife, all of them attractive, well-educated and intelligent. My wife says that her prospects for marriage in Colombia as a 43 year old widow with three children were non-existent and she had resigned herself to spending the rest of her life alone. Which, if you ever met my wife, you would know is truly a sad thought. There is not a more vibrant, cheerful, optimistic, beautiful woman alive on this planet.

We met online and corresponded for about 8 months before meeting in person.

We met on the christiancafe while we were still trial members!! Exchanged private emails and chatted on yahoo messenger often, exchanged music tapes of personal choices to one another.

3 months online,it was really fun, I sent him a video tape of me and he did his and sent to me. Very wonderful fun we had together b4 meeting in person.

My opinion if LDRs is that judging from our experience till date,we have been able to understand more of each before we can be together.Because in my own case,I did request references from his from someone who new him from his youth,who lives in his hometown or here in the states.

From the above I now in cordial correspondence with his other family members in his country and here in the states.

I conclude by saying that online relationship has its advantages because it afforded me the opportuinity to get knowing him deeper than it would have been if we met offline!!! When he finally met in person and till date he has remained the gentleman and loving man that I desire.

Last edited by JJ&ST; Jan 28th 2004 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

shona66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JJ&ST
We met online and corresponded for about 8 months before meeting in person.

We met on the christiancafe while we were still trial members!! Exchanged private emails and chatted on yahoo messenger often, exchanged music tapes of personal choices to one another.

3 months online,it was really fun, I sent him a video tape of me and he did his and sent to me. Very wonderful fun we had together b4 meeting in person.

My opinion if LDRs is that judging from our experience till date,we have been able to understand more of each before we can be together.Because in my own case,I did request references from his from someone who new him from his youth,who lives in his hometown or here in the states.

From the above I now in cordial correspondence with his other family members in his country and here in the states.

I conclude by saying that online relationship has its advantages because it afforded me the opportuinity to get knowing him deeper than it would have been if we met offline!!! When he finally met in person and till date he has remained the gentleman and loving man that I desire.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 5:50 am
Dave

Winston Castro <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > I did, just curious if there are any others out there...
    >
    > We met in person in May and I filed for our K1 in October. Looks like
    > we have 3-4 more months to wait, it has been received at the Texas
    > Service Center.

Yep, met online, went to visit her in Oz for the first time 6 months
after first meeting online, engaged 3 months later, married and her
visa obtained via DCF 6 months after that.

In the early phases before I knew anything about immigration law, I
was asking myself "what the ***** are you doing, you're falling in love
with someone half way around the world, how complicated are you making
your life?". Now I'm so happy my heart won out over my head and proud
of what my wife and I have accomplished in such a short time, as well
as thankful to others in this group who helped along the way, esp.
Rete who pointed me to the DCF route only a little over a year ago.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:04 am
Dave

[email protected] (Derrick Williams) wrote in message news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Winston Castro <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > > I did, just curious if there are any others out there...
    >
    > I met my wife online, but only indirectly. I responded to a personal
    > ad on one of the online matchmaking services (it was specialized,
    > catering to individuals with a disability I have). I met one person,
    > who was in Minsk. She was very beautiful and I thought "why not?". I
    > wasn't actually too thrilled at the prospect of a long distance
    > relationship, but to my utter surprise she actually responded to my
    > first letter. She had very good English and was so witty and clever,
    > it made my day to receive e-mail from her. I liked these letters so
    > much, and wrote for several months. She asked if she could meet me,
    > and I flew to St. Petersburg (Russia) to meet her and her sister there
    > on a trip. It turns out that her nerdy, shy sister had been writing
    > all these letters for her. This nerdy, shy sister is now my wife.
    >
    > I might have been a bit upset, but the whole time I did suspect maybe
    > exactly this was happening, even though my future wife was trying very
    > hard to 'stay behind the scenes'. She had much better English than her
    > sister, and was going beyond merely translating the one or two
    > sentences her sister would write. When I arrived, we just clicked like
    > Legos and now I am very glad she did this!
    >
    > My sister-in-law is actually every bit as pretty as her picture was,
    > but sadly has a throughly rotten personality and I can't stand her at
    > all. Who knew?
    >
    > -Derrick

OMG that's too funny. Definitely a modern version of Cyrano.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:05 am
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dave
Winston Castro <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > I did, just curious if there are any others out there...
    >
    > We met in person in May and I filed for our K1 in October. Looks like
    > we have 3-4 more months to wait, it has been received at the Texas
    > Service Center.

Yep, met online, went to visit her in Oz for the first time 6 months
after first meeting online, engaged 3 months later, married and her
visa obtained via DCF 6 months after that.

In the early phases before I knew anything about immigration law, I
was asking myself "what the ***** are you doing, you're falling in love
with someone half way around the world, how complicated are you making
your life?". Now I'm so happy my heart won out over my head and proud
of what my wife and I have accomplished in such a short time, as well
as thankful to others in this group who helped along the way, esp.
Rete who pointed me to the DCF route only a little over a year ago.
Dave, Ditto that. Could not have said it better myself Nanette and I where introduced to each other via the Yahoo personals and we have a great marriage

Scott
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:42 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I can see (and expect) that a lot of couples met online....but me and Cindyabs were slightly different. Cindy was in the 'Lifebeginsat40UK' AOL chatroom when I was ...I exited and then she IM'ed me....that was just before Christmas 1998..our relationship set off from there...exchanged calls, pics etc....then about 0345 January 4th 1999, totally out of the blue, I proposed to her...and she accepted immediately....note this was no pair of impetuous youngsters...in fact we both in the first flush of maturity...

Turns out she had been 'waiting' for a proposal...!!!!!! She had already told her best friend to 'go out and buy the dress and buy the shoes' (her words) - geez!!

So, by the time she came over to the UK for the first time for a weekend in a stone-flagged Lakeland cottage (courtesy of Lydia B - bless you), we had been engaged for two months - BEFORE
WE MET.....LOLOLOL

Beat that for romantic....we married in the Gingerbread House in Savannah Ga June 10th 2000 - and havent looked back....

Steve & Cindy Speke
Richmond Hill
Georgia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.