Any Immigration Hope?

Old Oct 20th 2002, 9:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any Immigration Hope?

OK, I'm going OT for our specific group, but since many here are knowledgable in other areas of immigration besides marriage, I'm going to post:

I've done some browsing on the subject, but haven't found the straightforward info I want. I'm taking the easy way out and just asking straight out here & appreciate any input.

I have an acquaintence from Turkmenistan. She and her husband "dream" of immigrating to the US, or Canada. Since they have no immediate family (I think there's an uncle) in the US, I wonder if refugee or asylum status is an appropriate thing for them to pursue.

Nika and her husband live and work in Greece during the tourist season and return to Turkmenistan in the winter. She does not use the internet so I'd like to see if there's anything I can turn up for her before we all part ways for the year.

She has a university degree in "languages" and says she speaks 5 fluently, but I've discovered that she doesn't read English particularly well. She would like to know what papers she would go about completing for a work permit/residence, but I'm not sure she even has a case. She has no family to sponsor her.

I understand, many FSU folk want out of their countries. I've just taken to this gal and want to give her info. Since she is Orthodox Christian, she tells me that since Independance, she is discriminated against in the "job market" (practically non-existant) in Turmenistan because of her religion. I've heard of the Church helping people get to the States (we certainly have the Orthodox immigrant population in my home city) but have no leads to follow for her.

To sum: is there any US immigration method for this woman and her husband to pursue and where is some understandable information I can check out?

And yes, to take my own advice, I've already done plenty of Google searching!

tx, meauxna
Old Oct 20th 2002, 2:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Immigration Hope?

Have her try Canada. Especially with a university degree (minimum of 14 years of education I believe) and if she is fluent in French, she might be eligible to migrate with her husband to Canada by passing their point system. They must be able to show their ability to financially sponsor themselves and have the required landing "fee" and pass the physical. Go to the Canadian immigration NG and ask there or visit the Canadian immigration site online for detailed information and for the test that lets you see if you can met the point system. You get points for education, language, age, work experience and longevity, etc.

I mention French because Quebec province (Montreal in particular) is hoping to increase their intake of immigrants for 2003 by nearly 1/3 of their present migration. 45,000 for the year 2003 as per an article in the Montreal Sunday paper two weeks ago.

Rete

Originally posted by meauxna:
OK, I'm going OT for our specific group, but since many here are knowledgable in other areas of immigration besides marriage, I'm going to post:

I've done some browsing on the subject, but haven't found the straightforward info I want. I'm taking the easy way out and just asking straight out here & appreciate any input.

I have an acquaintence from Turkmenistan. She and her husband "dream" of immigrating to the US, or Canada. Since they have no immediate family (I think there's an uncle) in the US, I wonder if refugee or asylum status is an appropriate thing for them to pursue.

Nika and her husband live and work in Greece during the tourist season and return to Turkmenistan in the winter. She does not use the internet so I'd like to see if there's anything I can turn up for her before we all part ways for the year.

She has a university degree in "languages" and says she speaks 5 fluently, but I've discovered that she doesn't read English particularly well. She would like to know what papers she would go about completing for a work permit/residence, but I'm not sure she even has a case. She has no family to sponsor her.

I understand, many FSU folk want out of their countries. I've just taken to this gal and want to give her info. Since she is Orthodox Christian, she tells me that since Independance, she is discriminated against in the "job market" (practically non-existant) in Turmenistan because of her religion. I've heard of the Church helping people get to the States (we certainly have the Orthodox immigrant population in my home city) but have no leads to follow for her.

To sum: is there any US immigration method for this woman and her husband to pursue and where is some understandable information I can check out?

And yes, to take my own advice, I've already done plenty of Google searching!

tx, meauxna