Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Another K1 visa approved at Mumbai!!!!

Another K1 visa approved at Mumbai!!!!

Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another K1 visa approved at Mumbai!!!!

Hi All!!!
Sorry for the delay on such great news but I was in India with my fiance for the interview and returned home to the US together!

Well, here's our story.

His interview was on the 3rd of december. We traveled to mumbai for the interview. He went in about 7:15ish AM. There's a waiting area but it's a bit far and many people end up standing in front of the consulate...there's apartment buildings there and you can sit on the sidewalk....just don't block any of the driveways or the building's security will yell at you. Also, for those with cars, don't try to park directly in front of the consulate, the police will yell at you and point their big guns at you.

Anyways, I asked the officer at the gate if I could go inside with my fiance (me being a US cit. and all)....I don't think he understood english very well and said 'NO!"

So I waited outside until about 2pm. I was so nervous, but there were other people in the same situation and talking to them made me feel better. Some of the applicants were called later in the morning and were out of the embassy in 30 minutes.

At about 2pm, my fiance came out with a big smile on his face....he looked so excited and was in a rush to cross the street...which I don't recommend to anyone...because it's a very busy street and you can easily get run over. Fortuneatly, he made it safely into my arms! He was give a pink (or blue) card (don't remember) and was told to come back at 4pm to pick up his passport with the visa stamp and his sealed envelope.

we went back at 4pm, picked up the visa and caught the train back home.

the next challenge was to get the ticket. because of the holiday season, it was really hard for him to get a plane ticket but after loads of praying and begging, he got the ticket on a different flight than me but on the same day. he was to arrive 4 hours before me....which i thought was funny....he would be receiving me at JFK!

He didn't have any trouble at the mumbai airport. At JFK, the customs/immigration officer didn't know what to do with him...they made him sit in the office for a while(not sure how long) until another officer came in with a handbook. together, the two officers looked up what needed to be done with a K1 visa. He was given a EAD card and was finished.

4 hours later, i saw him standing there with roses!

so all in all, the experience wasn't bad at all....just have all the documents ready.

good luck to all!!!
hope this helped...i'm not much of a writer so the reading might not have followed as well.

Rukhie:-)
Old Jan 6th 2004, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another K1 visa approved at Mumbai!!!!

Originally posted by Rukhie
Hi All!!!
Sorry for the delay on such great news but I was in India with my fiance for the interview and returned home to the US together!

Well, here's our story.

His interview was on the 3rd of december. We traveled to mumbai for the interview. He went in about 7:15ish AM. There's a waiting area but it's a bit far and many people end up standing in front of the consulate...there's apartment buildings there and you can sit on the sidewalk....just don't block any of the driveways or the building's security will yell at you. Also, for those with cars, don't try to park directly in front of the consulate, the police will yell at you and point their big guns at you.

Anyways, I asked the officer at the gate if I could go inside with my fiance (me being a US cit. and all)....I don't think he understood english very well and said 'NO!"

So I waited outside until about 2pm. I was so nervous, but there were other people in the same situation and talking to them made me feel better. Some of the applicants were called later in the morning and were out of the embassy in 30 minutes.

At about 2pm, my fiance came out with a big smile on his face....he looked so excited and was in a rush to cross the street...which I don't recommend to anyone...because it's a very busy street and you can easily get run over. Fortuneatly, he made it safely into my arms! He was give a pink (or blue) card (don't remember) and was told to come back at 4pm to pick up his passport with the visa stamp and his sealed envelope.

the next challenge was to get the ticket. because of the holiday season, it was really hard for him to get a plane ticket but after loads of praying and begging, he got the ticket on a different flight than me but on the same day. he was to arrive 4 hours before me....which i thought was funny....he would be receiving me at JFK!

He didn't have any trouble at the mumbai airport. At JFK, the customs/immigration officer didn't know what to do with him...they made him sit in the office for a while(not sure how long) until another officer came in with a handbook. together, the two officers looked up what needed to be done with a K1 visa. He was given a EAD card and was finished.

so all in all, the experience wasn't bad at all....just have all the documents ready.

good luck to all!!!
hope this helped...i'm not much of a writer so the reading might not have followed as well.

Congratulations
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Dorceia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All!!!

Well, here's our story.

good luck to all!!!

Congratulations!!!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Wonderful news Rukhie, congratulations!

Glad to hear that your fiancé's POE experience wasn't at all horrific. What a great start to 2004 - Happy New Year!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

purvi is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Rukhie, wonderful to read that you and ur fiance are together now.
Had a question, at Mumbai can you pay ur fees in dollars ( cash) or is it compulsory to make a bank DD ?
Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Redbutterfly is an unknown quantity at this point

CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OF YOU!!!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

Congrats. Feel free to show him around, and show off this great country to him that he'll be enjoying for the rest of his life and calling home.

-= nav =-
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by purvi
Had a question, at Mumbai can you pay ur fees in dollars ( cash) or is it compulsory to make a bank DD ?
Thanks

Thanks all!!! It means a lot to me!
Purvi, i think you need a bank check...you can't bring cash (dollars or rupees).
Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:09 pm
hbd
Forum Regular

hbd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all!!! It means a lot to me!
Purvi, i think you need a bank check...you can't bring cash (dollars or rupees).
Congrats rukhie and fiance..
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hbd
Congrats rukhie and fiance..
Rukhie!! I'm so happy to hear your great news!! Many warm congratulations!! :-)))

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:12 pm
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:33 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

good luck to all!!!

Congratulations Rukhie!!

I think you are a very good writer and that was an extremely sweet story. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Leslie
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

makkabokka is an unknown quantity at this point

hello purvi
i know iam late in replying this , but u can take cash to the the embassy and they give u the DD, they have started this new facility at window no 15. I saw that when i went to get my visa .
and COngratulations rukhie
best of luck .

Originally posted by purvi
Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by makkabokka
hello purvi
i know iam late in replying this , but u can take cash to the the embassy and they give u the DD, they have started this new facility at window no 15. I saw that when i went to get my visa .
and COngratulations rukhie
best of luck .

GOOD TO HEAR SUCH GOOD NEWS MAKKABOKKA!! Welcome to the US!!!
Good luck with the wedding and a happy life together!