Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

After Immigrant Visa interview

After Immigrant Visa interview

Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After Immigrant Visa interview

Originally Posted by wright
Thanks again for the responses

Firstly, what is OP and USC?

You asked what got approved? it was the 1-30 petition as you guessed. Sorry it wasn't clear.

It seems that I've got a about 12 months from when I get the visa. 6 months to get the green card in the US and about about another 6 to leave the UK. I better start researching my job options. Thank you so very much.
OP = Original Poster = you.
USC = US citizen

After the I-130 is approved, you can apply for a visa. That is what DS-230 is, a visa application.

After the visa is issued, it is valid for 6 months; you must enter the US and become a Permanent Resident within those 6 months.

You may want to slow down your visa application until you are ready to move to the US permanently.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

wright is an unknown quantity at this point

This has been so helpful.
I was thinking of slowing down the visa application for a couple of months just to give me extra time to plan things

This website is full of great information , Thank you,

Wright
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting green card but wants to stay in UK

I did not read that at all from his first or subsequent posts. He is currently working in the UK and while he acknowledges later on that the US economy is dismal at the moment, he has made no inquiry about using the VW for visits if he abandons his immediate relative visa processing and/or subsequent green card.

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Rene: I'm wondering if people are reading assumptions into the inquiry. I read it as wondering what will happen if he can't get work in the US and abandons PR status, what can be done? Although not clear, I read it as a possible inquiry to whether or not he could then revert to use of the VW for annual visits.

Perhaps clarification is in order.

Or perhaps, a legal consultation is in order.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

After the interview at the US embassy, I understand that we have 6 months to go to the US and receive the green card.
After the visa is issued, yes. That might not be immediately after the interview.

We should stay a minimum of one month is that true
No. You can leave the US the same day you enter if you want to. In fact, as long as your visa is validated, you don't even need to leave the airport!

I am considering coming back to the UK to work?
For a few months, that'll be fine. But it is a MYTH that returning to the US periodically will maintain your status as a permanent resident.

Can I do that for a number of years ie go to the Us for a month and return to the Uk for a about a year?
I'll repeat... it is a MYTH that returning to the US periodically will maintain your status as a permanent resident.

Ian
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

What does VW mean?

Is it something to do with visitors visa - I have been to the US on a visitors visa about a dozen times. Last time was 5 years ago.

I am willing to delay rather than abandon the relative visa as it's taken a while to get to this stage - No, wouldn't want to abandon permanent status.

I really need to do some more research on this.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What does VW mean?

Is it something to do with visitors visa - I have been to the US on a visitors visa about a dozen times. Last time was 5 years ago.

I am willing to delay rather than abandon the relative visa as it's taken a while to get to this stage - No, wouldn't want to abandon permanent status.

I really need to do some more research on this.
VWP= Visa Waiver Program, a visa-free (no visa) method for citizens of some countries to visit the US for tourist or business purposes of 90 days or less (and with other caveats).

Did you have an actual visa/sticker in passport that you went to a Consulate and applied for?

You can learn (very little) more about maintaining/abandoning your PR status here:

After a Green Card is Granted

Replace a Green Card
Renew a Green Card
Maintaining Permanent Residence

Rights and Responsibilities of a Permanent Resident
International Travel as a Permanent Resident

Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants

PS: consider holding off on sending the DS-230 in until you know what you're going to do.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Meauxna,

Thanks for for the links,

wright