Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

After Immigrant Visa interview

After Immigrant Visa interview

Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

wright is an unknown quantity at this point
Default After Immigrant Visa interview

My mother in the US is sponsoring me & I am just completing the form DS230. After the interview at the US embassy, I understand that we have 6 months to go to the US and receive the green card. We should stay a minimum of one month is that true as I am considering coming back to the UK to work? Can I do that for a number of years ie go to the Us for a month and return to the Uk for a about a year?

Thanks
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Default Getting green card but wants to stay in UK

I am completing form DS230, after the interview at the US embassy in London, I understand I will need to go to the US for a green card within 6 months.

After that I want to stay in the UK as I have a job, and travel back and forwards every year is that possible? Does any one know how long I will be able to do that for and if there are any restrictions?

Thanks
Wright
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting green card but wants to stay in UK

A "green card" is a permanent resident card which means you intend to live permanently in the USA.

Why are you getting permanent residence in the US if you intend to live in the UK?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

My mother who lives in Florida applied 3 years ago when the economy was relatively good. Now I have a few family members in the US who are out of work and am concerned that I may not get a job
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:49 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: DCF London Timeline from DS230/DS2001

Almost certainly not. Once you're married you don't get the green card immediately. You have to file and Adjustment of Status (AoS) to permanent residence. This can take a number of months to process, at the end of which you will get your Green Card. You can't leave the US at all during this period unless you apply for Advance Parole. This in itself takes some time to process. Once you have the Green Card it is conditional for two years. I'm not sure of the precise deatils (I'm sure plenty of others here are) but you have to be resident in the US during this time I believe, which means spending at least 6 months of the year there and probably more. The system is set up to specifically stop people doing what you describe. If you are getting a green card through family ties, the authorities expect you to actually live with your family in the US.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:10 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

That's the risk you take if you decide to move over there. I've got a similar worry, I'm going over and trusting my skills to get me a job. about the only way you could try and alleviate the issue is if your UK job is one which would allow you to telecommute. I have a friend who's a programmer who spent his first year in the US still doing work remotely over the internet for his old UK employer. Immigration weren't thrilled by it but they didn't stop him.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wright
My mother who lives in Florida applied 3 years ago when the economy was relatively good. Now I have a few family members in the US who are out of work and am concerned that I may not get a job
While there are a few ways to delay, it's not a long-term plan. You need to either make a go of it or forget it. The option of flipping from one side of the Pond to the other comes after you've naturalised as a US citizen, five years down the road.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the quick responses

I have been looking at other threads on this site from people seeking work in the US. I have a couple of degrees. However and it seems the best thing to do is to committ and live in the US as you say rather than flipping and then get a job that will pay the bills. Meanwhile try and get a US degree (preferably a Masters some threads say).

A a small part about 10% my job allows me to telecommute...

I suppose I'm not really prepared to move within the next year as the application for the green card has just been approved

Thank you
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malashaan
Almost certainly not. Once you're married you don't get the green card immediately. You have to file and Adjustment of Status (AoS) to permanent residence.
This is incorrect. The OP is getting an Immigrant Visa, which means he becomes a US Permanent Resident immediately upon entry to the USA. He will have full rights to live and work in the USA from Day 1. There is NO adjustment of satus involved with an Immigrant Visa.

Rene
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
While there are a few ways to delay, it's not a long-term plan. You need to either make a go of it or forget it. The option of flipping from one side of the Pond to the other comes after you've naturalised as a US citizen, five years down the road.
Five years down the road IF the OP can manage to stay in the USA enough days out of the year to become a USC in 5 years. With his current plan, it will take him forever to become a USC.

Rene
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by wright
Thank you for the quick responses

I have been looking at other threads on this site from people seeking work in the US. I have a couple of degrees. However and it seems the best thing to do is to committ and live in the US as you say rather than flipping and then get a job that will pay the bills. Meanwhile try and get a US degree (preferably a Masters some threads say).

A a small part about 10% my job allows me to telecommute...

I suppose I'm not really prepared to move within the next year as the application for the green card has just been approved

Thank you
What just got approved? There is no "application for the green card" in your situation. There is only an I-130 petition which the USC files to get the ball rolling, then there is your Immigrant Visa application. You get the green card when you enter the USA using your Immigrant Visa, which you must do within 6 months of obtaining the visa (or by the visa expiration date, which in rare cases is less than 6 months).

You can enter the USA and activate your PR status, then go back and work for perhaps a few months in the UK, to finish up work, tie up loose ends, and prepare for making the final move to the USA. I would not risk staying outside longer than 5 months, 6 months max, and definitely would not do your original plan of staying outside the USA most of the year, with a quick trip to the USA each year. That is not going to fly for very long, and you'll soon find yourself abandoning your PR status.

Rene
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:33 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Originally Posted by Noorah101
This is incorrect. The OP is getting an Immigrant Visa, which means he becomes a US Permanent Resident immediately upon entry to the USA. He will have full rights to live and work in the USA from Day 1. There is NO adjustment of satus involved with an Immigrant Visa.

Rene
I stand corrected. I thought he was talking about a K1 for some reason
I think from this I can learn that trying to think straight when full of cold is a non-starter.

Country hopping still isn't really an option in the short term though.

Last edited by Malashaan; Sep 26th 2010 at 4:37 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Five years down the road IF the OP can manage to stay in the USA enough days out of the year to become a USC in 5 years. With his current plan, it will take him forever to become a USC.

Rene
Rene: I'm wondering if people are reading assumptions into the inquiry. I read it as wondering what will happen if he can't get work in the US and abandons PR status, what can be done? Although not clear, I read it as a possible inquiry to whether or not he could then revert to use of the VW for annual visits.

Perhaps clarification is in order.

Or perhaps, a legal consultation is in order.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read it as Rene did.

Always a danger when posting on a board.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: After Immigrant Visa interview

Thanks again for the responses

Firstly, what is OP and USC?

You asked what got approved? it was the 1-30 petition as you guessed. Sorry it wasn't clear.

It seems that I've got a about 12 months from when I get the visa. 6 months to get the green card in the US and about about another 6 to leave the UK. I better start researching my job options. Thank you so very much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.